The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:42:28 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Porsche 944 brakes - Anyone using them?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Porsche 944 brakes - Anyone using them?  (Read 7059 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: March 07, 2009, 11:17:39 am »

We've been talking about it other threads so I thought it was time for it own thread as a few people seemed interested  Smiley

All the info I have so far comes from Mr Fastbrits (Keith Seume's) VW BEETLE PERFORAMCE HANDBOOK many of you probably have this book, it shows how to make a very simple bracket that allows you to fit the 944 front calipers it also shows how you need to "spot face" the rear of the spindle to mount the bracket,

It also show just how easy it is to fit the rear discs to a beetle as well BUT it say there is NO handbrake facility  Undecided

So lets have your thoughts guys - Anyone used/using the 944 set up  Huh

You either "Get It" or you don't......
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 12:17:43 pm »

Some tricks about 924/944 brake conversion and also 911 gearbox on this site http://www.performanceghia.co.uk/

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:27:40 am by j-f » Logged
Arnoud

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 15:57:45 pm »

I've used the setup for 3 years in my 68 sedan and braking was very good.It can be done on both IRS and swing-axle rear ends.I personally didn't like the fact that it widens the rear track-width by an inch per side.

Greets,Arnoud
Lee.C

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 19:53:45 pm »

Some tips about 924/944 brake conversion and also 911 gearbox on this site http://www.performanceghia.co.uk/

That is EXACTLY what I have been lookin for dude - the technical info is PERFECT Grin

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:26:54 am »

Some tips about 924/944 brake conversion and also 911 gearbox on this site http://www.performanceghia.co.uk/

That is EXACTLY what I have been lookin for dude - the technical info is PERFECT Grin

Wink
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:39:04 am »

I have 944 brakes in the fron but want to put in the rear too Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
tikimadness

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 21:38:55 pm »

I am using the 944 brakes on the back of my project.
I have the hubs copied in aluminium and the discs are being lightened and balanced right now.
I won't use the 944  cailpers because of the size and weight but will be using 92-93 carrera 2 rear brake calipers.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Lee.C

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 23:41:29 pm »

I have the hubs copied in aluminium and the discs are being lightened and balanced right now.
I won't use the 944  cailpers because of the size and weight but will be using 92-93 carrera 2 rear brake calipers.

Michael

Hmmm interesting - will you utilise the handbrake inside the rear disc? I take it the original hubs are Steel then?

tikimadness

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 16:49:18 pm »

Michael

Hmmm interesting - will you utilise the handbrake inside the rear disc? I take it the original hubs are Steel then?

Jep the original are steel.I won't be using the handbrakes on my project but I used them on my previous car.It is relatively simple to get the handbrakes to use.

Michael

member of team YAC ; the guys who write history.

GASSER GARAGE  a few friends creating history.

NIDGAFWYT
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 20:16:46 pm »

Who needs handbrakes on a race car Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
Lee.C

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 20:39:58 pm »

Michael

Jep the original are steel.I won't be using the handbrakes on my project but I used them on my previous car.It is relatively simple to get the handbrakes to use.

Michael

Thanks dude but I did just check your other thread - all very interesting Smiley

Lee.C

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 02:30:35 am »

One big question I do have is DO THESE BRAKES FIT OVER FUCHS  Huh Huh Huh

Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 08:04:19 am »

Yeps,i tested a set of fuchs and they fit Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
eugene

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 10:29:07 am »

I will be using 944 single pot calipers with dropped spindles and deep 6 fuchs. The dropped disk spindles need some modification to mount the caliper but it can be done. The fuchs fits but it is tight. The caliper needs a little grinding and the hydraulic cylinder housing would need to be changed from left to right in order to bleed the brakes properly but it is possible. What i don't like about the brakes is the weight.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 10:31:10 am by eugene » Logged
Dave Galassi

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 15:22:26 pm »

Michael

I, too, am using the 944 brakes front and rear and like them a lot.  The handbrake is easily hooked up and holds my crew cab well when parked.  The increased track in the rear can be a problem for the beetle (I've only installed these brakes on type 2's and 3's.  You will need custom length cables if one of the stock lengths will not work for your application.  Look at the parts books for available lengths and then measure the car.
Yes, they are heavy, but that was not an issue for me, though it is for others.  You can narrrow the rear trailing arms if you are so inclined to bring the track back to stock.  It's not too difficult to do.

All the best.  Hope this shed some light on the subject.

Dave Galassi

Michael
vw-bigblock

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 23:10:02 pm »

I'm using 944 breaks front and back on my -66 with 3,5 inch shortend front end and 5 inch shortend rear end.
At the front i used the porsche hub and just made som small tubes and put on the spindle tap so the porsche bearings fit. Tthe breakdisc is a 303mm at the front and the calipers are Brembo Porsche aluminium calipers. I cut down the original calipermount 1,5mm and screw an 8mm "flatiron"(sorry dont know what its called) 40mm wide and around 160mm long and then screwed the calipers in them.
At the back it was bolt on, just had to put 3mm of shims behind the Brembo caliper. The hand brake was the problem and i solved it by connecting the short porsche wire(needs two set of breakcables) with its shielding tube to the original vw wire under the (non excisting) backseat.
Lee.C

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 00:08:30 am »

I'm using 944 breaks front and back on my -66 with 3,5 inch shortend front end and 5 inch shortend rear end.
At the front i used the porsche hub and just made som small tubes and put on the spindle tap so the porsche bearings fit. Tthe breakdisc is a 303mm at the front and the calipers are Brembo Porsche aluminium calipers. I cut down the original calipermount 1,5mm and screw an 8mm "flatiron"(sorry dont know what its called) 40mm wide and around 160mm long and then screwed the calipers in them.
At the back it was bolt on, just had to put 3mm of shims behind the Brembo caliper. The hand brake was the problem and i solved it by connecting the short porsche wire(needs two set of breakcables) with its shielding tube to the original vw wire under the (non excisting) backseat.

Cool thanks for the info buddy - it sounds like your using the later 944 stuff Undecided Smiley

Tobias Bylund

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 10:20:18 am »

I was also looking at the exact same conversion for my 1303 super that i am building for circuit racing, but the 4 piston calipers from porsche 944 are so extremely overpriced in my opinion, used 20yr old stuff shouldn´t have to cost around $400 for a pair just because it says porsche on them. So i started looking at wilwood calipers instead, and ended up buying the Powerlite calipers, radial mount 4 piston billet aluminum, takes an 11"x.86" rotor, and best of all, brand new for 300 including pads of your choice.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipers/015-PL/index.asp

Just something to think about if you dont exclusively need porsche stuff.

Regards
Tobias
vw-bigblock

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 21:19:03 pm »

Cool thanks for the info buddy - it sounds like your using the later 944 stuff Undecided Smiley

not shure, but thinks its from -86

im really happy with how it works,just step on it and the car stands still Grin Grin
kafercup

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 02:00:13 am »

I have the Porsche 944 Turbo 4-pot brakes front and rear on my 71 super with the 944 master cylinder.  The modulation is great and you'll never need more braking than this in a car this light.  Check this site out, it's where I got alot of my conversion hardware http://vdubengineering.com/  .
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 09:18:58 am »

Which kind of front tires do you use?

I also have start a chassis with IRS and 924s brakes but I have change my mind because I think if I would use the classic cal look tires combo, skinny front tires just can't handle the brakes power.
Lee.C

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 14:34:12 pm »

Which kind of front tires do you use?

I also have start a chassis with IRS and 924s brakes but I have change my mind because I think if I would use the classic cal look tires combo, skinny front tires just can't handle the brakes power.

I think you have a BIG HEAVY right foot dude  Cheesy Wink Smiley I think 155's should be fine with "single pot" calipers "4pots" my be a little OVERKILL in my eyes.

My main reason for the 924s/944 setup is that DISCS can withstand LOTS of heavy braking (read as street racing Wink) even in the Manx after ALOT of hard driving the drums do get alittle SOFT Cheesy Wink

Also dude you could fit an adjustable "Bias Valve" Wink
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 15:03:38 pm by monkiboy » Logged

Lee.C

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 14:53:11 pm »

I have the Porsche 944 Turbo 4-pot brakes front and rear on my 71 super with the 944 master cylinder.  The modulation is great and you'll never need more braking than this in a car this light.  Check this site out, it's where I got alot of my conversion hardware http://vdubengineering.com/  .

VERY usefull link dude  Smiley

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 19:59:32 pm »

I wear a 45 size shoes  Cheesy Cheesy

Why not use a simplest way with stock discs and bigger callipers as Talbot horizon? Bolt on, factory looking.
Type 3 drums on the rear and it should work for the use we do of our cars.
Street cars, not race track use.

Lee.C

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »

I wear a 45 size shoes  Cheesy Cheesy

Why not use a simplest way with stock discs and bigger callipers as Talbot horizon? Bolt on, factory looking.
Type 3 drums on the rear and it should work for the use we do of our cars.
Street cars, not race track use.

That is not a bad idea dude - That is the set up my friend is using on his 68 in my other thread, its a VERY good set up BUT I just like the idea of the 944 setup  Wink Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: