The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 22:52:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1971 Rebuilding my old bug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1971 Rebuilding my old bug  (Read 8768 times)
Paul Bahnstormerz

« on: April 08, 2016, 22:24:28 pm »

Well the car went to the restoration shop in December for the bodywork, and was returned in February freshly painted.

This included having a new roof let into the existing body

The body was sealed against further corrosion and then sprayed grey

The last few months have been fun. The wiring loom was utter junk, no wiring diagram and mostly missing! Thankfully my father is an electrician so he's happily rewiring the car. Under the rear seat a 12 way fused distribution board controls the additional circuits.

The engine is almost finished,

The Berg lash caps have proved to be almost impossible to fit!!

Plumbing is almost done, brakes and fuel have been fun

Dashboard is all wired now

Lots of discussions with the guys at Wizards of NOS, and their entire system has gone into the car, maximiser digital controller, x10 solenoids, fuel pressure safety, the bottle heater is from eBay, and I'm now awaiting delivery of nitrous pressure gauge remote kit.

I have a 11lb and 5lb bottle going on this setup.

Wheels, well I have Ercos and now I have a pair of repro gasburners, which were originally just for the M&H drag masters but they really suit the car, so I expect it'll ride whatever the mood takes.

After hours of fighting the standard door window seals, I decided that the look of the chrome was far too busy so I went with one piece, carefully removing the cross braces in the doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedalpusher

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 12:59:44 pm »

Saying Nice would be a huge understatement! Massive resto with the body!
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 17:35:28 pm »

Another day in the garage building, the one piece windows are installed and working

The decklid alignment is finished hinges have been outfitted with the Vintage Speed strengtheners, the decklid prop is also from these guys. Actually nice to fit parts that actually fit

But the decision on grey wing beading is wrong, it needs black, so more parts for the swap meet table

richie

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 18:10:32 pm »

Nice to see it finally coming together after all the setbacks Paul Smiley

cheers Richie 

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Stevo_L

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 20:42:27 pm »

nice std bug.
I like the dashboard/radio mod  Cool
is there a small glove box behind?  Cheesy
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 23:09:43 pm »

Thanks.

No glovebox, just had the standard dash repair panel for the stock radio blanking plate let into a steel dash. The bonnet pull was relocated from the glovebox to the drivers side (rhd car) using a pre '67 conduit.

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 13:34:12 pm »

Looks great Paul.

Tourist

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 20:30:18 pm »

One of my favourite cars, looking forward to seeing the end result  Grin

Hope all is well Paul Cool

Martin Smiley
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 20:57:10 pm »

Hi Martin

Thanks for the kind words, (and the others 😊) this version will fingers crossed be slightly better than the old version. Lol

All well here, other than eternal question of where the hell did I just put the wrench/spanner/ hex key?

How are you? Go to any shows nowadays?

Iryanu

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 08:17:18 am »

Love it, plumbing looks great in the bay.

Shell looks familiar with all that metal chopped out....  Shocked Keep on truckin' summers coming! The FLESHING season is almost upon us! Gotta be out there driving.  Grin
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 11:51:25 am »

Gotta be out there driving.  Grin

About another 4 weeks 😊

NOS bottle mounted last night and line plumbed in.

More messing with the headliner, which is actually the second one! The TMI one is actual junk! 1200 style only the centre section, no B & C post and they couldn't get the dimensions correct!! About 3" too short! First carpet goes in tonight 😎
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2016, 23:15:49 pm »

Starting to take shape and look like a bug again.

Pulled out the plumbing for the fuel, decided against the earls hardline I'd installed didn't like the bends around the rear torsion housing. After a chat with Speedflow, now awaiting delivery of stainless braided Teflon hoses. Also now planning on having the oil lines made of the same stuff.
Oil cooler decision, should I plumb an external cooler? Running DDS power pulley and the decklid is propped open at the bottom.

Stevo_L

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 19:32:00 pm »

what engine will be in?
i have an external cooler under the torsion tubes with a sandwich thermostat.
engine is a 2276

what headliner are you going to install? i will also change after resto to a 1200 std model.
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 11:34:05 am »

Engine, 1776 with h beam rods, ported 40x35.5 heads, 120 can with scat pro 1.25 rockers, 1 5/8 berg header with Magnaflow box, DDS power pulley and carbs are 44idf. Final nitrous hit to be figures out but 75-100 being planned. Ignition is 010, iridium plugs, msd digital 6+, CR is 9.2:1

Gearing is 1.14 on 4.12 forth, 1.48 third, stock first and second

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2016, 11:35:41 am »

Headliner is a stock 1200 style vinyl centre piece, by Spirit of the 50s

Hardwork getting fitted around the b post roll cage

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2016, 19:38:11 pm »

Another day working on the car, more wiring done. Used a multi core trailer cable to make life easy. 7 core for NOS controller, another for the extras, gauges, autometer prolites, heater blanket for bottle installed, now trying to figure out how to fit 40mm glycerine gauge got nitrous pressure in the dash area.

Nitrous full throttle switch installed in passenger footwell on throttle mechanism

Bottle is fitted in spare wheel well

Engine bay taking more shape

The main fuel line, was originally Earl's aluminium tube, really not happy with it so it was pulled out and is now stainless steel braided Teflon hose. Much better job, and safe with all the modern petrol.

modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2016, 02:42:47 am »

Looks good!
I have a heap of old NOS solenoids, all rebuilt, and also a heap of rebuild kits in case I want to use them a lot. A friend told me once he always kept 2 sets of solenoids at the track, coz it was 50/50 whether they would last the meet without going soft on the seals with his oxygenated race fuel, although this was 20 years ago. I also had a few dramas on having the solenoids last a summer on a streeter with regular use.

Do you know if the WON pulsoids will last with irregular use? Eg, 20lbs worth in a weekend then none for a month while just sitting around, then 5lbs on a Friday night then nothing another 2 months, etc. I used NX solenoids on my bikes without having to rebuild them every year, but they got plenty of use.

I'm considering NX again, or running the WON stuff (expensive out here though, but maybe worth it).

You hoping to run 12s/11s on the little motor?  Cool
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:48:06 am by modnrod » Logged
Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2016, 10:12:25 am »

The guys at WON claim their solenoids are the best out there, marketing or truth I don't have enough knowledge to say. Trevor can seem a bit offish at first but he gets crap talking about his products on various forums, I've found him very knowledgable and a good guy to deal with. The x10 solenoids certainly seem well made, talk of thermo plastic seals and ptfe coatings, so should they hold up?

http://www.noswizard.com/index.php/x10-solenoid

I have two sets but this time I'm just running a pair with distribution block to  feed all four cylinders. They also figured out the jetting for the fuel pump i have, so by only having one pair I can just run the one fuel pump, which flies in the face of almost all the American writing on the subject. They have been bloody good to work with, although they are expensive, a 2276 would have been cheaper but something about Mike Smith's red looker with a nitrous 1776 on the cover of the first issue of Hot VWs I bought 20 odd years ago always stuck.

Times, I'm just hoping for the best possible, whatever I get I'll be pleased with, 12s and 11s I'll need plastic surgery to remove the smile.

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2016, 19:42:28 pm »

Well the engine is nearly assembled, last weekend Max set up the valve train geometry before a day parts shopping at Stanford Hall VW show. Picked up a Berg pump cover so the CSP pump cover is not being used. Now, just waiting on pushrods coming back from the local machine shop then I'll fit the old 010 distributor set the rockers and it's ready to be fitted.
The Vintage speed best linkage is looking promising, so stable bolting onto the rear studs for the generator stand. Good solid return Spring action. Seems a better than the CSP setup I had previously which was very good. The fuel and nitrous plumbing is complete to the engine bay.. The DDS power pulley measured smaller than the Scat power pulley I had originally planned. Quick trip to the local motor factors and 438x10 belt seems a pretty good fit. Wondering if such a small pulley on a street car is s good idea.

Interior wise I'm waiting on the carpet to he returned from the trimmers having been trimmed around the cage. Tomorrow I'll build the rear seat blank, finish the headliner and finish this engine as far as I can.

Paul Bahnstormerz

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2016, 19:43:13 pm »

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: