The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 19:42:51 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350676 Posts in 28571 Topics by 6818 Members
Latest Member: Mk-Zero
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Show Us Your Cal-Look Type 3 Engines
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Show Us Your Cal-Look Type 3 Engines  (Read 4845 times)
DKK Ted
DKK

« on: March 20, 2014, 04:21:10 am »

Like it says, lets see some Cal-Look Type 3 engines!!  Grin

VW Classic 2012
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 05:10:26 am »

That's a tough one! I think a properly hot rodded type one is a thing of beauty, right up there with a flathead V8. A type three, especially if it all remains under the deck, is a form follows function thing. My old T3 1776's looks didn't reflect any of the money I had spent on it Roll Eyes

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
nicolas

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 08:00:07 am »

both Felix and Georg from DFL there engines come to mind. if you are talking street engines

here is a link to Felix engine/trans and in the end car rebuild: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,12030.msg262841.html#msg262841

Georg was/is building a 2276 all under the lid and his 1776 looked the part.

one other person that comes to mind is Anthony from ISP west, he had a 2276 type3 in his square back, i have seen pictures/video of it moons ago, maybe you can hang him down and post them. he's on your side of the pond.
PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 18:54:12 pm »

one other person that comes to mind is Anthony from ISP west, he had a 2276 type3 in his square back, i have seen pictures/video of it moons ago, maybe you can hang him down and post them. he's on your side of the pond.

HA ! I just happened to check in The Lounge today...

yes, here is a photo of my 2276cc w/48-dells stuffed under the engine lid

an an oldie... an a little old video - http://www.vwispwest.com/ebay/type3.WMV

Anthony / ISP WEST
volksnut

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 21:33:16 pm »

Okay...it has DCNF's, cam, and headers and some Fiat parts thrown in...that's cal-look right?
modnrod

Old School Volksies

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 13:49:33 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Details, where to start?
My favourite is the transverse leaf with double A-arms, very cool!  Cool
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 19:08:01 pm »

HA ! I just happened to check in The Lounge today...

yes, here is a photo of my 2276cc w/48-dells stuffed under the engine lid

Anthony, you guy's have a step stud or 8mm to 6mm insert, to mount the oil cooler? Building a new Type III motor using a new Aleania case, it has an 8mm stud. No one seems to have anything I need, There step studs are to short.

Ted

an an oldie... an a little old video - http://www.vwispwest.com/ebay/type3.WMV

Anthony / ISP WEST

VW Classic 2012
volksnut

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:00:55 am »

Shocked Shocked Shocked
Details, where to start?
My favourite is the transverse leaf with double A-arms, very cool!  Cool

So I don't clog up the works, you can follow along here
http://bucketbuilder.bb3host.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=515
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 20:32:21 pm »

That was the video Anthony! still love it very much. could you share some specs of the engine. if memory serves me right it had a W120 cam,… but i can't remember more about it.

PIMPPRIDE

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 00:40:27 am »

That was the video Anthony! still love it very much. could you share some specs of the engine. if memory serves me right it had a W120 cam,… but i can't remember more about it.

yes, it was & is highly influenced by Mark Herbert's street motor, that seen street time in almost everything he owned  SSB, Quaife Test Bug and his Bay Bus even...  Cheesy

AS41 CASE  fully machined, full flow ect all the typical machine work done to a mag case

the complete engine assembly was balanced dynamically from pressure plate to the type 3 two fans... a big help for harmonics  
the fan is fully welded, on veins and center and gets buzzed to 7500 rpm frequently

82mm Demello Crank, welded stroker, Porsche journal ( started as a stock 1500 fish )
stock flywheel, slightly lightened to 14½ lbs, 8 dowel ect
94 JE pistons w/old Mahle barrels ( cut, chamfer removed ect )
5.325 Carrillo rods, Porsche journal
040 heads by Jeff Denham - 44x37.5 fully welded, big ol' ports, moved spark plug locations, stainless valves, dual springs, all the goodies & tricks you can do to a stock type head...  
30mm Schadek oil pump
120 Engle cam
1.1 ratio on the rockers, stock vw, solid shafts ect...

48mm dellortors tri-jets on CB manifolds that were also welded up and fully port matched...

I've had 3 to 4 different exhaust systems over the years, currently I have upgraded to a CSP with full heater boxes, it's dyno'd the same numbers with a old Berg 1-5/8" 4 tune header as it did with a A-1 sidewinder ( one of the first batch of type 3 sidewinders )

as for the trans, today's standards you could call it a pro street plus plus, built by Mike Herbert at his old shop MPH Transmissions, it received the best of the best, everything hand picked...  its a 12V late case, klinkenberg 412 R/P - 3.78/2.06/1.21/0.89 Berg super beetle main shaft, dual snap ring super diff, welded 3rd/4th steel shift forks, all german bearings, old school cast iron side cover, Berg short axles, only the best of the best, homage to Clyde Berg with a " Big Nuts " on the trans ect...

near future plan is upgrade to IRS as I recently scored a IRS Quaife diff and install that nice CSP exhaust w/heat... once I figure out a new location for the full flow oil filter, the CSP exhaust wants my left bumper bracket mounting point... currently my OC47 filter is hanging on to this spot

and I almost forgot a restored / reconditioned Bosch 010 done up by Glenn for me... should be a great fit with the short rods ! 

Anthony / ISP WEST
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 00:44:56 am by PIMPPRIDE » Logged
Taylor

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 09:24:21 am »

For later Ted,  McFadden Dale sells step studs.
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 02:32:38 am »

Hi Taylor, had called them, did not have the long ones I needed, BUT, Dave Rhoades got ahold of me, he had them, worked out good thanks to Dave.

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: