The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:47:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP's Top Ten Board
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKP's Top Ten Board  (Read 7288 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: March 26, 2009, 23:11:46 pm »

Sarge....  give us some details on the old DKP Top Ten board....  you were always in the running weren't you?
Were members positions on the board determined by e.t.'s @ the strip, or by street warfare?

There must be some good stories behind this.... 

(thanks to turtleracer from whom I took this image from)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 23:44:06 pm by Jim Ratto » Logged
johnl

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 23:39:54 pm »

Sarge....  give us some details on the old DKP Top Ten board....  you were always in the running weren't you?
Were members positions on the board determined by e.t.'s @ the strip, or by street warfare?

There must be some good stories behind this.... 

If he wasn't in the running for the "Top Ten Board" he was running to the Liquor store or the bathroom!!!!! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Sorry Jim, I couldn't resist.  Grin Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 14:50:36 pm »

Angry  where's the love??? Wink  I can't remember whose idea it was to have the Top Ten board but it was a good one.  Most of the bragging rights were settled after club meetings... sometimes right out in front of the club house on Chestnut St Shocked Shocked.  I've shared a number of photos with you guys of the Bug-In in 1972 when DKP went all out on a club display and I think the top ten deal was an idea we came up with for that event.  I made the board from plywood and wooden house numbers that I spray canned silver.  The names I did on illustration board and we all had one.  In my pic, #1 Underdog, #2 Mahaffey, #3 Dave Patrick, #4 Thurber, #5 Whit Haydon, #6 Fleming, #7 Edmiston, #8 Jim Brooks, #9 Steve Liekus, #10 Sergio Rampone.  Most importantly, your car car actually had to run to stay on the board... no resting on past laurels. Wink  Wish I had got the pic centered for the chopped off photos on the right Sad.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 14:54:20 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Gary Justus

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 15:53:52 pm »

Sarge,
What do you remember about Steve Liekus? I went to Anaheim H/S and FJC with him. I was driving my '63 Kombi ('glas flairs and scoops with Keystones w/big meats on the rear) at the time and he and I would hang out at Tastee Freez across from Anaheim H/S. I remember him talking about trying to get in the club, but my music career took me in a different direction in '71 and I lost track of him.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 16:01:48 pm »

That's pretty cool Sarge! What ever happened to it?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
johnl

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 16:43:25 pm »

Angry  where's the love??? Wink  I can't remember whose idea it was to have the Top Ten board but it was a good one.  Most of the bragging rights were settled after club meetings... sometimes right out in front of the club house on Chestnut St Shocked Shocked.  I've shared a number of photos with you guys of the Bug-In in 1972 when DKP went all out on a club display and I think the top ten deal was an idea we came up with for that event.  I made the board from plywood and wooden house numbers that I spray canned silver.  The names I did on illustration board and we all had one.  In my pic, #1 Underdog, #2 Mahaffey, #3 Dave Patrick, #4 Thurber, #5 Whit Haydon, #6 Fleming, #7 Edmiston, #8 Jim Brooks, #9 Steve Liekus, #10 Sergio Rampone.  Most importantly, your car car actually had to run to stay on the board... no resting on past laurels. Wink  Wish I had got the pic centered for the chopped off photos on the right Sad.

Jim, after I sent my comment I thought how tacky it was, so here and now I do say, I'm sorry. Sad Sad  Moving on, I had no idea that YOU made the board.  Guess I never thought about it, cause it always seemed to be there.  Once again guys, I must say the Sarge was and is a driving force of the DKP legacy and my hat's off to you.  Cool Cool Cool Cool

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 16:51:20 pm »

Sarge,
What do you remember about Steve Liekus? I went to Anaheim H/S and FJC with him. I was driving my '63 Kombi ('glas flairs and scoops with Keystones w/big meats on the rear) at the time and he and I would hang out at Tastee Freez across from Anaheim H/S. I remember him talking about trying to get in the club, but my music career took me in a different direction in '71 and I lost track of him.

I sure do remember Steve Liekus.  He lived on North St. Between West St. and Lorara.  It was a two story home that had been moved into the location.  I think his folks had that done.  This was only about three block from my parents home.

Steve was known as "Mr. Music" because he was quite well versed on the subject.  The other thing I remember was his long hair and he was always jerking his head to move the hair out of his face.  It became a thing for all of us to do as a "mock".

At the DKP I Reunion Steve showed up with short hair and no one knew what to say.

What years were you at Anaheim Hi?  Sharon (Johnson) Edmiston was there '61-'64 along with Ron Fleming.  Myself, Huggins, Dayton and others '62-'65.

Jim Ratto

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 00:51:21 am »

If Mahaffey's split was still around in it's 2180cc incarnation, I think it would STILL post on a DKP III Top Ten.... 
Gary Justus

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 17:07:18 pm »

I went to AHS from '67-'70. Lived near Walnut and Ball.
deano

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 18:33:35 pm »

So, he asks.... where is the DKP Top Ten Board today?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2009, 19:48:51 pm »

So, he asks.... where is the DKP Top Ten Board today?

Ol' man Stumpf (Vhat's up vit' da BOOM BOOM??)probably has it stashed... I'm sure that thing wound up in the Pickwick dumpster when we left town Wink Grin

DKP III
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2009, 19:58:59 pm »

Sounds like you guys need a new one.  Wink

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 20:12:39 pm »

Sarge,

About all I can recall was a skinny kid with long stringy blond hair that loved his music as John pointed out.  So it was strange seeing the "new" Steve at the reunion  in 1990.... Shocked Shocked Shocked

DKP III
Gary Justus

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 21:38:36 pm »

Well....He's got some weight on (in that picture) since I saw him last.....Hair's darker, too!
Eric Justus

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 04:05:51 am »

You old farts Cool Cool Wink

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 04:55:07 am »

Sarge how often did the pecking order get shook up?  Every Friday night? Some street racing stories are due...   Cool

Long hair hooligans. Roll Eyes
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 13:24:35 pm »

georges lucas was into dkp  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes................................ Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 13:57:10 pm »

georges lucas was into dkp  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes................................ Grin Grin Grin Grin

Shocked Roll Eyes Hahahahahahaa!!! Grin

You old farts Cool Cool Wink

Shocked Angry I "resemble" that remark! Grin

Sarge how often did the pecking order get shook up?  Every Friday night? Some street racing stories are due...   Cool

Long hair hooligans. Roll Eyes

Let's just say the pecking order got tested often.... make that quite often! Roll Eyes Grin 

DKP III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: