The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 17:16:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350685 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Checking crank pulley to gen/alt pulley alignment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Checking crank pulley to gen/alt pulley alignment  (Read 3146 times)
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« on: September 20, 2011, 03:07:40 am »

After putting a factory alternator pulley on this summer, I started flipping the nice Gates belts. Had no trouble at all when running the chrome aftermarket piece.

Alignment is thought to be the cause. But, when running a straight edge from the back of the crank pulley, up along the belt to rest on the side of the alt. pulley (not behind it) and measuring the distance of belt edge to straight edge, it appears aligned to my untrained eye (and depth gauge).

Is there a more accurate way to check this? If I don't need to order a shim kit (CB is out of stock until end of next week), and pull my Berg crank pulley, that would be ideal. But I'm going broke buying belts.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 04:47:12 am »

Until I got my belt alignment PERFECT, I'd just keep it under 6K "unless it was absolutely necessary, Officer".
One thing that helped was swapping to an 11.3X912 alternator belt as it rides lower in the upper pulley. If i run the gen. belts (9.5X905), they flip over like clockwork as soon as it rolls past about 6400 ... that's just no fun at all.

BTW, Berg usiually stocks the shims for the upper pulley ... they "Have It All."
TxT

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
javabug

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 11:59:47 am »

Thanks Tom. I'll triple check the alignment and see which way to go. I do have an upper shim, but probably the crank pulley needs to come outward.

Do you have any more info on the 11.3X912 belt? Just to confirm if I am already running it or not. Been using the Gates/NAPA toothed #25-7335.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
glenn

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:47:28 pm »

Tom,

I run a 11A0900 and only use Gates belts since they have additional cords across the top. I've yet to have one flip, but threw one when I missed a shift and the tach bounced off 8000rpm. That's another reason I like the V belt over the serp belt.. it's a rev limiter Wink

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 16:53:11 pm »

I have a section of round tubing that I put in the pulley grooves and look at the engine from the side.  It has made it easier for my eye to tell if the pulley needed to be adjusted in or out.
TexasTom

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 19:10:59 pm »

Guys---
I use the 11.3X912 Continental belts simply because that's what we stock at the shop. Original equipment/manufacturer freak that I am I guess ... LOL
The wider belt requires more shims, but I think the pulley has greater control over it riding lower in the groove(?).
I have also (over?) revved mine multiple times ( Grin) ... now I have yet to have a problem.
It definitely becomes a struggle between the fan and the engine. The engine says Yes, the fan says NO. So, yeah, it's kinda like a rev-limiter. But not very effective!  Wink

I install the belt with light tension & use a 12"rule/straight edge against the lower pulley checking for a constant gap between rule and belt to the top.

Work, work, WORK!

Donny B.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 19:47:41 pm »

If I rev the engine quickly and hear the belt squeak just a little then I fell I am good to go.  I also use that gates belt.  Make sure you have a good German pulley on the alternator/generator.  If it is out of true it can throw the belt.  I am now running a billet Aluminum pulley and it is better than any German pulley I have used in the past.  For what it's worth...

Don Bulitta
Wolfsburg Registry
javabug

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 21:06:32 pm »

If I rev the engine quickly and hear the belt squeak just a little then I fell I am good to go.  I also use that gates belt.  Make sure you have a good German pulley on the alternator/generator.  If it is out of true it can throw the belt.  I am now running a billet Aluminum pulley and it is better than any German pulley I have used in the past.  For what it's worth...

I go for the squeak, also.

Thanks for the info from everybody. I'm going to give it another looking at tonight.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
TexasTom

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 21:31:58 pm »

A lumpy cam, large tube exhaust, dual dual throat carbs, straight cut gears and hint of belt squeak ...
WATCH OUT people, HERE WE COME! LOLOL
 Grin Grin Grin

Work, work, WORK!

Sarge

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 22:20:26 pm »

Being a parts guy, I like using what the book says... 11.3X912 (111 903 137 E) for use with an alternator.
Check how the alternator fits in the stand... some casting schlag could be keeping it from sitting in the
stand properly.  No way would I mess with the crank pulley.

DKP III
javabug

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 01:36:01 am »

Funny thing, parts guy  Grin , is that I ran the same belt for over a year until I changed to the German alt pulley this season. I don't want to go back to the chrome crapper though, so I'll work it out somehow.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: