The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:49:05 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DKP I MEMBER MIKE HESS PASSES
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DKP I MEMBER MIKE HESS PASSES  (Read 4204 times)
johnl

« on: March 26, 2009, 22:50:34 pm »

This just arrived on my e-mail from Rick Zavala of DKP I.  Sorry I tried to add the attachment, but had problems with it.

With great regret, Larry Cornell called to let all DKP1 members know that Mike Hess passed away yesterday at UCLA. Mike had recently retired last month from the County of Orange after many years of service. Mike had been on a transplant list for some time. Mike is survived by his wife of many years, Barbara. Mike had dated Barbara when he was with us many years ago.

I have attached the April 1970 article on us that was written by Jon Thawley Senior. The photo of us was taken at Gene and Dee Berg's first shop in Orange. Mike is in the back row with his green VW next to Greg Aronson.

Larry will provide further information on services to us.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 22:54:11 pm »

sad news  Cry
RIP  mike

fabs
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 22:58:28 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 02:32:04 am »

Very sad news !
 Cry
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 02:36:37 am »

I'm saddened to hear of this. Prayers, sympathies, and positive thoughts going out Mike's family and friends.

Cry

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:12 am »

I'm sorry to hear the news. God Bless! Sad Cry
In case you need to know:
The group picture was taken at Gene Berg's first shop on Lemon Street in Orange. Gene opened this shop after he left DDS and the Lowerys in Santa Ana. The cars in the picture (counter clockwise) are Craig Foster (with his squareback that was later paneled and painted yellow at Beckers), the UnderDog (with Ron Fleming driving and owned by Doug Gordon), Mike Mahaffey (with the metallic brown split window and 2074 motor), Rick Zavala (with his white 67 that was later painted black by Beckers), Dave Velton (with his blue 68/69 1835), Jim Edmiston with his white car, Rick Meisner with his butterscotch bus (one of 3-4 buses in the club), Dennis Fry with his beige 66, person unknown (though it might be Arnie Mohlman with his beige 67), Mike Hess with his green 65, and Greg Aronsen with his white ragtop that he later sold to Jim Holmes.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 14:01:33 pm »

Mike with his wife and daughter at the DKP Reunion.  Rest in peace my friend... you are missed.  Cry

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 16:57:42 pm »

Mike with his wife and daughter at the DKP Reunion.  Rest in peace my friend... you are missed.  Cry

I remember Mike as a "good guy" and kind of quiet.  Life is precious and everyone needs to appreciate everyday you are given.

One other comment, the '33 or '34 Ford belonged to Greg Aronson.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
low oval
DKK

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2009, 04:42:48 am »

very sad, looks like a nice loving family.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
JOHN CANALES

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2009, 06:02:23 am »

OUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO MIKE'S FAMILY AND THE ENTIRE DKP FAMILY.....

FROM THE GERMAN FOLKS FAMLY!!!

THE GERMAN FOLKS VW KLUB
johnl

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 18:52:48 pm »

Yesterday afternoon was the Memorial Service for former DKP member Mike Hess.  It was held at Forrest Lawn in Cypress, CA.  VW people in attendance were Gregg Bunch, Larry Cornell, Mike Johnston, Mike Benett, Mike and Jan Taylor, Art Alaverez and myself.

The chapel was packed with standing room only and actually overflowed outside.  Mike had worked for Orange County for 39 years and many of his co-workers and neighbors attended.  It was very apparent that Mike was well respected and loved by many from the outporing.

He was the father of two daughters and several grandkids.  I've attached a copy of the program for his service and I can say after what I saw that we've lost another one of the good guys.

God Bless you Mike and your family...............................

Sarge

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 19:15:26 pm »

Thanks for that, John and to the rest of the club members who were able to attend.  Rest in peace, Mike.

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 00:49:10 am »

'49? Way too young. Godspeed, Mike.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 15:45:04 pm »

Sorry to hear that, RIP Mike

Fast vw beetle's rule