The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:33:31 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Nick's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Nick's  (Read 22237 times)
Sarge

« on: April 06, 2009, 13:31:55 pm »

Had a nice time yesterday afternoon.  The weather was close to 80 degrees making for summer like conditions.  I took some pics and will try to post a few up tonight.  Longtime DKP member Art Alvarez had his Chevy wagon there last night after winning the Boyd Coddington Memorial trophy at the Del Mar hot rod show earlier in the day.... a HUGE honor!  John Lazenby drove one of his Chryslers (almost a city block long, it seemed) and also took a ride in Bill Schwimmer's rig (further setting the VW hook). 
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 13:39:54 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 14:21:48 pm »

Seeing Al's award was GREAT! Congrats to him on his accomplishment. That wagon is very cool and nicely done. Got to talk to him about it at Keith's book party, awhile back.

Seeing John's Black '57 300 was AWESOME! I've seen his other cars at Cars & Coffee... but I don't recall this one.

Easily, the nicest 300 I've ever seen. I really don't care for American cars, but '72 and earlier ones do get my attention. John's is absolutely fantastic in every detail.

I hope that the ride in Schwimmer's car caught another Cal Looker back into the school, as it were.

Grin
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 14:34:20 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
johnl

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 16:13:16 pm »

Had a nice time yesterday afternoon.  The weather was close to 80 degrees making for summer like conditions.  I took some pics and will try to post a few up tonight.  Longtime DKP member Art Alvarez had his Chevy wagon there last night after winning the Boyd Coddington Memorial trophy at the Del Mar hot rod show earlier in the day.... a HUGE honor!  John Lazenby drove one of his Chryslers (almost a city block long, it seemed) and also took a ride in Bill Schwimmer's rig (further setting the VW hook). 

It was good to see a bunch of old timers and the younger guys as well.  Glad those of you there enjoyed seeing Detroit ultimate horsepower back in the day.  Don't think just because it is big and heavy it is slow, because once rolling it will pull like a freight train !!   Shocked Shocked :oNext time I'll maybe bring the 413 Ram Car.

The ride in Bill's '59 brought back many memories especially being a sunroof car like my '63 was.  Bill was kind enough to supply me with a bit of info on an item and I'm currently in persuit of !! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Also, I'd like to public thank Bill for the ride and his support in helping me with this disease and his vast knowledge of how to cure it.

Look forward to seeing more of you next month................. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fritter

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 18:30:57 pm »

Looks like a fun time.  John, I think of the '57 Fury in Christine every time I see one of those old Chryslers.   Grin Grin 

I remember an old girlfriend of mine's father had a '61 New Yorker with a square steering wheel, that was unique.

Mike F.
'64 Indigo Blue sunroof Bug
johnl

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 19:01:28 pm »

Looks like a fun time.  John, I think of the '57 Fury in Christine every time I see one of those old Chryslers.   Grin Grin 

I remember an old girlfriend of mine's father had a '61 New Yorker with a square steering wheel, that was unique.

Mike,

Actually Christine was a '58 Plymouth which is very similar to the 57.  The general lines of Virgil Exner's styling was carried thoughout the entire Chrysler product line at the time.  I guess I swayed because I own the 300C, but it was the high water mark of all of the Chrysler products for 1957 and to prove that it was Motor Trend's car of the year.

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 19:13:53 pm »

So, I guess my lusting after a '70 Hemi Cuda is heresy as far as you guys are concerned! Cheesy

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 19:23:42 pm »

So, I guess my lusting after a '70 Hemi Cuda is heresy as far as you guys are concerned! Cheesy

I've always harbored unhealthy longings towards 67 Nova's myself  Roll Eyes

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 19:24:39 pm »

Wash your mouth out!  Shocked

johnl

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 20:42:10 pm »

Hey, if it works for you go for it.  Somehow I always expect to see Jerry Springer driving one of those around.  Most of the "Mopar Crowd" of which I don't include myself (I drive Chryslers and there is a difference) fits right in with that image.

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 20:56:01 pm »

Wash your mouth out!  Shocked
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin oohh my side's hurt  Grin Grin

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 21:52:57 pm »

Hey, if it works for you go for it.  Somehow I always expect to see Jerry Springer driving one of those around.  Most of the "Mopar Crowd" of which I don't include myself (I drive Chryslers and there is a difference) fits right in with that image.
Ouch!  Grin

johnl

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 22:39:41 pm »

Ouch!  Grin

You may say "Ouch", but take a close look and you will probably agree....... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Eric Justus

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2009, 23:39:53 pm »

I was standing right there on the 60 onramp with my cardboard sign waiting for a ride to OC too...this red bug flew right by me.  Shocked

Eric Justus
HotVWs, SuperVW, Let's Play VW Cal-Look features
Der Kleiner Panzers VW club
Fritter

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 00:04:41 am »

Ouch!  Grin
You may say "Ouch", but take a close look and you will probably agree....... Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

John, are you referring to the "Joe Dirt" effect in general with American musclecars?   Grin Grin Grin

VW content:  I looked at my '64 sunroof project in the garage when I got home from work tonight  Grin Grin  My '68 911 is getting all the love for the time being.

Mike F.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2009, 00:47:54 am »

It was good to see a bunch of old timers and the younger guys as well.  Glad those of you there enjoyed seeing Detroit ultimate horsepower back in the day.  Don't think just because it is big and heavy it is slow, because once rolling it will pull like a freight train !!   Shocked Shocked :oNext time I'll maybe bring the 413 Ram Car.

The ride in Bill's '59 brought back many memories especially being a sunroof car like my '63 was.  Bill was kind enough to supply me with a bit of info on an item and I'm currently in persuit of !! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  Also, I'd like to public thank Bill for the ride and his support in helping me with this disease and his vast knowledge of how to cure it.

Look forward to seeing more of you next month................. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Hi John, the 300 sure is a pretty car.... nice engine detail. Me and Jim K were trying to figure out the brake servo...  does the bellows MOVE?
Have a fun ride in Bill's car? Shocked That motor is almost as old as me, and it still kicks ass.  Cool

Rennsurfer

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2009, 00:50:43 am »

Sounds great, John... Bill's '59 is a perfect role model for that ride. Hope to see you at Nick's again and at Cars & Coffee. I usually take my Zenith Blue '67 Cal Looker or my Polaris Silber '82 E21/320i.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2009, 02:11:49 am »

Not much new to show you, but a few shots just the same.... Grin

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2009, 02:13:04 am »

more... Roll Eyes

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 02:15:48 am »

That's all folks.... Cool  The last pic is Lounger Casey and his daughter.... aw, ain't she cute!! Grin

DKP III
Bryan67

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2009, 03:15:12 am »

I wouldn`t mind seeing more of that wagon....

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2009, 03:34:40 am »

Good stuff, Sarge.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2009, 04:20:29 am »

I wouldn`t mind seeing more of that wagon....

I'll see what I can do.... Wink

Good stuff, Sarge.

Much appreciated, Mark... four more for the road. Smiley

DKP III
Fritter

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2009, 04:21:39 am »

The Nova wagon kicks booty, as well as most of the cars in the pics!  The little girl is very cute!  And John Lazenby has a sly look on his face, he's being assimilated into the VW cult again I think...... Grin Grin Grin

Mike F.
Brian Rogers

« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2009, 04:37:42 am »

The wagon to me looks like a Malibu. Novas were shorter and boxier. It being a 2 door is RARE Shocked
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2009, 05:22:13 am »

The Malibu/Chevelle wagon is, indeed, a RARE two door. Hardly see 'em on the road, these days.

By the way, if anyone's interested in buying a '64 sunroof... that picture (IMG 5363) Sarge just posted is it and it's Mike Herbert's. Contact him if you're interested. New pan half (maybe both) replaced and all of the mechanical stuff has been gone through. I think he mentioned the price being $2,800 or even lower.

~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2009, 08:42:12 am »

Here is a man who is sold on an idea... Wink

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2009, 09:45:48 am »

Sarge COOL pictures!!
How about a photo shoot of you car, alongside these two would rock!!

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »

thx again for the spy cam report and to thinking about me  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes................................. Grin Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Sarge

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2009, 12:50:42 pm »

By the way, if anyone's interested in buying a '64 sunroof... that picture (IMG 5363) Sarge just posted is it and it's Mike Herbert's. Contact him if you're interested. New pan half (maybe both) replaced and all of the mechanical stuff has been gone through. I think he mentioned the price being $2,800 or even lower. [/b]

A nice little fixer-upper.... barely driven by a little old lady. Roll Eyes Grin

Here is a man who is sold on an idea... Wink

He DOES have that look about him now that you mention it! Wink

Sarge COOL pictures!!
How about a photo shoot of you car, alongside these two would rock!!

Thanks for the kind words!!  Rick Sadler (yellow) and Tim Walton (blue) hope to become the club's newest members next month.  What we really need is a certain orange '67 to brighten things up even more... Smiley

thx again for the spy cam report and to thinking about me  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes................................. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Grin   Kiss Kiss Kiss  Your welcome, bro! Cool

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2009, 13:00:41 pm »

That's one of the best shots of Rick's car I've seen so far.  LOVE it!

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: