The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 16:38:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Nick's
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Nick's  (Read 21912 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 13:05:17 pm »

sadler's car looks awesome, which HotVWs issue is it in?

looks like another great day for you in socal Wink

It's on the cover of this years Cal Look issue (March??).  Your right on the great day in SoCal, too Wink.

thanks sarge, can that issue still be back ordered? is it featured in there, too?
glad you had a good day, i got some work done on my car too. guess it definitely was a cal-look sunday  Smiley

february 2009 cal look issue died  ask deano to buy a copy
 Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 13:10:17 pm »

They look straight to me. But I'm like Sarge... grew up in the '60s, watching cheesy episodes of television series, Batman. So perhaps it's largely due to that.

The camera was only tilted at the villains headquarters....    Wink Shocked Grin

Grin

Well played, JHU... you're absolutely correct. This changes everything.

Nick's was the first time that I'd known or seen Taylor's car with different wheels. I think the car used to have Enkei or American 5 spokes, before. Either way... suburb car.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2009, 13:15:16 pm »

s. I think the car used to have Enkei.

Wink

Sarge

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2009, 13:15:24 pm »

I'm missing that Special Picture for Frank...or was he not around...Huh Wink Grin Grin

Hi Frank...  Your boy has been VERY busy brushing up on his driving skills lately and has not come around much.  There's unsubstantiated rumor that he could be behind the wheel of a certain race car at Bug-In 34 but I didn't say that.... Roll Eyes Grin  You'll have to make due with a shot of Crawford's rig this time around. Wink Grin  cheers!

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2009, 15:40:01 pm »

Whoa I didn't even notice that was the Walton's car with the BRM's on it! Blue looks a little different, too. Must be the lighting.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2009, 17:23:51 pm »

I'm missing that Special Picture for Frank...or was he not around...Huh Wink Grin Grin

Hi Frank...  Your boy has been VERY busy brushing up on his driving skills lately and has not come around much.  There's unsubstantiated rumor that he could be behind the wheel of a certain race car at Bug-In 34 but I didn't say that.... Roll Eyes Grin  You'll have to make due with a shot of Crawford's rig this time around. Wink Grin  cheers!

Thanks for the Info Sarge...Black Cars rule, that one aswell.... Wink Grin Grin

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
Liou

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 18:15:48 pm »

thx sir sarge " photoman beauty america "  Grin

My 62 ragtop cal look
Sarge

« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2009, 18:55:29 pm »

thx sir sarge " photoman beauty america "  Grin

Shocked  Kiss Kiss Kiss Grin

DKP III
Casey

« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2009, 19:31:43 pm »

Great pics Sarge...Thanks!

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2009, 20:16:45 pm »

My pleasure, dude... couldn't resist that pic of your daughter; what a cutie! Smiley

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2009, 21:20:56 pm »

My pleasure, dude... couldn't resist that pic of your daughter; what a cutie! Smiley

my son is already after her Casey... does she date crawlers?
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #71 on: April 12, 2009, 16:39:33 pm »

sadler's car looks awesome, which HotVWs issue is it in?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOT-VWS-MAGAZINE-FEB-2009-CALIFORNIA-LOOK-DUNE-BUGGY_W0QQitemZ380104061798QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMagazines?hash=item380104061798&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Wink

Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2009, 21:31:07 pm »

Wow what a clean ride , but ..... please help me here , full U.S. speck bumpers , 7 piece trim , window trim , wing / fender top signal's Huh
While Im not DKP and not in any position to comment , which direction is the club going ? away from the old established school of thought ?

What next full ride height and pea shooter's  Huh

Stand's back and waits for barrage of abuse  Wink
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 21:36:51 pm by 49-rag » Logged

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Rennsurfer

« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2009, 21:47:31 pm »

Wow what a clean ride , but ..... please help me here , full U.S. speck bumpers , 7 piece trim , window trim , wing / fender top signal's Huh
While Im not DKP and not in any position to comment , which direction is the club going ? away from the old established school of thought ?

HUH? What old established school? Mason's black '62... Schwimmer's, red '59, Rayburn's 'blue '64, etc. I don't understand.

Huh

~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2009, 22:48:13 pm »

Remember, that illustration was certainly never a DKP rule book. Fast, clean and an owner with the right attitude – they're the important factors.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2009, 22:56:31 pm »

Glenn you are still going to be removing your trim off your car.

Stop trying to get out of it. Roll Eyes

Hahaha your killing me.........
Sarge

« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2009, 22:58:34 pm »

Yeah, whats the hold up?? Wink Grin

DKP III
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2009, 23:05:59 pm »

The hold up.

Is letting me take it up the road today to find that he had not dun one of the rear wheel nuts up.

Lets just say he could have been welding more then just some trim holes up. Cheesy Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Sarge

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2009, 23:10:20 pm »

The hold up.

Is letting me take it up the road today to find that he had not dun one of the rear wheel nuts up.

Lets just say he could have been welding more then just some trim holes up. Cheesy Grin

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Roll Eyes WTF? Grin

DKP III
WCB Hitler's Hot Rod

« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 06:01:41 am »

How about a mixture of personal preference? Nothing wrong with that! I see your point though, certain people including magazines may not label it as cal-look.

WARNING! BE PREPARED FOR A ROLLING BLACKOUT.

West Coast Blitz... "Motha Sucka!"

You may have some Swag, but I OWN da Swagoo!!

This right here is my 'lil Nazi-killa!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2009, 08:13:59 am »

Yes I suppose this could be seen as my own attempt to retain my own seven piece's of trim  Roll Eyes but its just an observation of my own .

HUH? What old established school? Mason's black '62... Schwimmer's, red '59, Rayburn's 'blue '64, etc. I don't understand.
[/quote]

All of the above fantastic cars , great stance , perfect powerful motors , flawless paint with wheels to cream over  Cool Cool Cool. But .... a lot of what would have been removed to get that strip inspired less is more look seem to be finding its way back onto the car ? and accepted as the look  Undecided

Insert Quote
The hold up.

Lets just say he could have been welding more then just some trim holes up. 

Yep could have been nasty , an oversight after replacing my linkage on the 901 , in the rush to see how the new motor performed with a jet change could have cost me big  Shocked
All lesson learnt DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR LUG NUTS  Wink

But getting back on topic , please don't think this is an attack on guys cars or the guys themselves , just a perception of what is the look  Smiley

13.03 @ 98mph
Rennsurfer

« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2009, 08:29:04 am »

How about a mixture of personal preference? Nothing wrong with that! I see your point though, certain people including magazines may not label it as cal-look.

Personal preference is the key. In my opinion, I really don't care what anybody or any magazine labels as Cal Look. The first rule is... there are no rules.

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2009, 14:58:00 pm »

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

johnl

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2009, 18:49:28 pm »

Being an official "Old Guy" it takes me a bit longer to get task done, but none the less I still do.  Attached is a photo taken at the last DKP Nick's event on April 05.  The people left to right are:

Gregg & Pam Bunch, Mike Johnston, Art Alverez, John Lazenby, Mike "2180 I'll blow your doors off" Mahaffey and Tony Alverez.  These folks are all alumni of DKP I and are still alive and well.  Sarge was also there but none of us volunterred to push his wheelchair into the shot !!!!   Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

How long I've known these people:

Gregg  1965
Mike J. 1964 or '65
Art  1969
Mike M. (are you ready for this)  1956  Grin Grin Grin
Tony Alverez  1969

You thought I forgot Pam??  Can't remember, but it was back in the '60's.  She was a Babe then and still is in my eyes.  Wink Wink Wink  Sorry Gregg.

Updates:  Over he weekend I pulled the 1600 d/p out of our '63 and it is almost apart.  Getting ready to do something, but haven't quite decided to leave it stock or build something bigger.  I won't ask any of you, because I think I already know your answer.......

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2009, 18:58:34 pm »

BIGGER!

You know you want too.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
johnl

« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2009, 21:26:56 pm »

BIGGER!

You know you want too.

--louis

SURE........ The kid in me says "Go for it" and the more adult side says "You've grown up, so don't become a terror on the streets again".

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #86 on: April 20, 2009, 21:35:34 pm »

BIGGER!

You know you want too.

--louis

SURE........ The kid in me says "Go for it" and the more adult side says "You've grown up, so don't become a terror on the streets again".
Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.................... Grin Grin

Wink

louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2009, 21:48:28 pm »

BIGGER!

You know you want too.

--louis

No one said you had to build the fastest car in the valley. How about a 78 x 94 with mild heads, 1 5/8 exhaust, 48 IDAs & a w120 or w130 Engle cam. Be good for 140 - 160hp and you can use a beefed up stock geared transmission. Sarge uses this combo and having ridden in his car I can say its a nice setup. Gives you that extra power when you need/want it yet docile enough to be driven every day.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2009, 22:05:42 pm »

Not too dissimilar to what I run , good for the kid in me and not too balls out  Cool

13.03 @ 98mph
Neil Davies

« Reply #89 on: April 23, 2009, 15:58:14 pm »

Not too dissimilar to what I run , good for the kid in me and not too balls out  Cool

...says the man who's just sold his Porsche 5-speed to fund a race 'box! Cheesy

John, go for it! 2007-2165cc, nice 150ish hp at the wheels - just what the doctor ordered! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: