The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 18:31:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hey Fabs - How about a Mike Billing thread ;)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Hey Fabs - How about a Mike Billing thread ;)  (Read 19884 times)
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 02:46:01 am »

Just been checkin these new pic's again - Its just such a tough lookin little bug - I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin

but seriously where is it now  Huh
Hey Fabs,

I'll ask Kimball who he sold it to, (if he remembers) and I will post it to you.  I just remember that it was a really young man and his parents bought it for him-I remember them picking it up at the shop.  Maybe it will give you a start.  As you said, it may have gone to to Japan, I know that's where mine went.

Regards,
Jim

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 05:17:01 am »

Shocked Shocked Shocked never seen this report before mark  thx  Cool Cool

Any time, Fabian. Us archival geeks gotta do what we do, yes?

Grin

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 09:05:15 am »

Just been checkin these new pic's again - Its just such a tough lookin little bug - I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grin Grin Grin

Hey Fabs,

I'll ask Kimball who he sold it to, (if he remembers) and I will post it to you.  I just remember that it was a really young man and his parents bought it for him-I remember them picking it up at the shop.  Maybe it will give you a start.  As you said, it may have gone to to Japan, I know that's where mine went.

Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim but I'm Lee aka monkiboy - Fabs is Speedwell  Wink Smiley again thanks for trying Jim - I rerally want to locate this car and maybe one day even buy it  Shocked Shhhhh  Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:44:32 am by monkiboy » Logged

You either "Get It" or you don't......
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2009, 15:41:32 pm »

Shocked Shocked Shocked never seen this report before mark  thx  Cool Cool

Any time, Fabian. Us archival geeks gotta do what we do, yes?

Grin

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2009, 18:02:08 pm »

Hey Fabs,

Regards,
Jim

Thanks Jim but I'm Lee aka monkiboy - Fabs is Speedwell  Wink Smiley again thanks for trying Jim - I rerally want to locate this car and maybe one day even buy it  Shocked Shhhhh  Wink

The late 60's was a very blurry time growing up and I have a tuff time remembering my only name, Jim.  How do you guys do it?  Sorry for the mistake but I will still let you know what I find out.

Regards,
Jim

Lee.C

« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2009, 18:13:59 pm »

Hey Fabs,

Regards,
Jim

The late 60's was a very blurry time growing up and I have a tuff time remembering my only name, Jim.  How do you guys do it?  Sorry for the mistake but I will still let you know what I find out.

Regards,
Jim

No worries dude Cheesy I'm just dying to find out what happened to it  Smiley oh and I'm sure my friend Fabs is too  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2009, 18:41:46 pm »

Hey Fabs,

Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim

No worries dude Cheesy I'm just dying to find out what happened to it  Smiley oh and I'm sure my friend Fabs is too  Wink
for sure fabs  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes......euh sorry jim  Shocked.................euh no lee  .OK I am going to arrive............................... Grin Grin Grin Grin

rgd guys

fabs Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 18:59:51 pm by speedwell » Logged

Lee.C

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2009, 18:59:11 pm »

To much chat we neeeeeeeeed a pic  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2009, 19:04:00 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2009, 19:04:47 pm »

Wink

Lee.C

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2009, 19:34:38 pm »

I knew you had more honey  Kiss Wink Smiley

Cornpanzer

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2009, 02:54:37 am »

Asked Dyno Don about the Billings car and this is what he had to say on my voicemail.

"was one of the nicest cars that I ever had the chance to work on, to color-sand and buff, to finish for Bug-In, to drive, to take care of....it was ...a nice car. One of the top 5 or so cars.  It was sold to Marv Hendricks son - Marv was the co-owner of Saddleback park.  The kid had it for a very short time-one or two years - and it was sold.  Dont know anything about it, havent seen it, havent heard about it.  I dont think anyone else has seen or heard about it.  Thats my story, sorry I couldnt be more help."

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Lee.C

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2009, 10:27:19 am »

Asked Dyno Don about the Billings car and this is what he had to say on my voicemail.

"was one of the nicest cars that I ever had the chance to work on, to color-sand and buff, to finish for Bug-In, to drive, to take care of....it was ...a nice car. One of the top 5 or so cars.  It was sold to Marv Hendricks son - Marv was the co-owner of Saddleback park.  The kid had it for a very short time-one or two years - and it was sold.  Dont know anything about it, havent seen it, havent heard about it.  I dont think anyone else has seen or heard about it.  Thats my story, sorry I couldnt be more help."

Hmmm interesting Thanks Dave  Smiley  would it be worth checking with the DMV to find out if it's still in the States  Undecided Smiley

Jim Ratto

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2009, 23:20:52 pm »

I could read about this car all day, it really captures what a fast hot rod VW should be. I wouldn't change one thing.
you guys remember this post right? http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,2612.msg33983.html#msg33983

very cool car.
Thanks for all the posts.
Jim R.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2009, 23:01:28 pm »

think my favorite part of this car is the frosted finish on the alloys....especially those 7"
trying to picture my car on those......   drool
Rennsurfer

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 00:18:48 am »

think my favorite part of this car is the frosted finish on the alloys....especially those 7"

YESSIR! That was my favorite part of that car, as well. When I first saw it, I couldn't stop staring at the rear wheels for the width and finish. I was so stoked to see someone actually be bold and NOT polish their alloys. Especially during a time when everyone was (barf!) fully polishing every wheel they could.

~Sarge
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 01:41:52 am »

YESSIR! That was my favorite part of that car, as well. When I first saw it, I couldn't stop staring at the rear wheels for the width and finish. I was so stoked to see someone actually be bold and NOT polish their alloys. Especially during a time when everyone was (barf!) fully polishing every wheel they could.
I agree, the satin finished alloys were always the best.  The first car that had satin 7's on the rear as I remember was Keith Goss's chop top.  That car was a beauty too!

Lee.C

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:30 am »

I love those wheels too dude - Trust me when I say this car is a BIG influence on PROJECT 66 Wink Smiley

Rennsurfer

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 06:42:13 am »

I agree, the satin finished alloys were always the best.  The first car that had satin 7's on the rear as I remember was Keith Goss's chop top.  That car was a beauty too!

Amen to that... Keith's car was COOL! Another Cal Looker ahead of it's time, in the grand scheme of things.

~Sarge
delux67

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2009, 01:18:18 am »

One of my favorite D.K.P. and Cal Look cars of all time. I still have a copy of the ad that he gave me back in the '80s. Thus, once again, proving that fast/good looking Cal Lookers CAN have a heater. Hee! Hee!

Yes they can have a heater and I can tell you how to do it.
Mike Billings
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 02:19:04 am »

A friend of mine in new mexico bought it and made a class 1 baja out of it about 8-9 years ago

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Rennsurfer

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2009, 04:44:57 am »

Mike Billings

I've done it with 1 5/8" lightened flanged fresh air heater boxes. Rick Sadler's car has modified stale air ones. Gotta have the heater for my girlfriend.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 09:15:22 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2009, 10:44:11 am »

Rich Kimball owned the car for a short period in the 80's when he had "Bugs For You".  Rich drove it sometimes and it really ran with that 2 liter and 5-speed.  If I remember correctly, he sold it to a young teen-ager from Riverside for $7-7.5K.

Regards,
Jim
A friend of mine in new mexico bought it and made a class 1 baja out of it about 8-9 years ago

if it's true , it's really sad to see  one of the most beautiful cal look finishes its life as it  Cry Cry

fabs
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 11:51:48 am by speedwell » Logged

67worshipper

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2009, 11:45:01 am »

Mike Billings

I've done it with 1 5/8" lightened fresh air heater boxes. Rick Sadler's car has modified stale air ones. Gotta have the heater for my girlfriend.
this is interesting Wink

vw hot rod heaven
DOUG BERG

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:54 am »

BACK IN THE EIGHTEE'S I USE TO EAT LUNCH WITH KEITH EVERYDAY,,, & HEAD DOWN AFTER WORK TO SCRAPE THE PAN OF THE  "THECHOP".....   WELL KEITH HAD ALOT TO DO WITH MIKES CAR!!!      ONE NIGHT AFTER WORK  I END UP AT KEITHS,,, THERE  WAS A GUARD RAIL AT HE END OF THE STREET JUST OUTSIDE THE GARAGE...   AND HERE'S BILLING'S (SCREAMIN THE NEW AC/DC FULL BLAST)   BEATIN ON THE GUARD RAIL WITH A POLICE BATTON!!!!    I'M ON A HIGHWAY TO HELL!!!
                                                                              GOOD MEMORIES YEAH!!!                         DOUG....
delux67

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 06:07:22 am »

He certainly did have a lot to do with my car. I remember the guard rail at the end of the street but I have absolutly no recollection of beating the guard rail with a police baton. I may have been singing though. Yes good memories.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:10:50 am by delux67 » Logged
ugly duckling

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 07:00:45 am »

good one danny.

DOUG BERG

« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 10:08:57 am »

WHATEVER STICK IT WAS!!!
                          KEITH WAS DOWN A COUPLE MONTHS AGO!!!  LOOK'N GOOD!!!  GOT HIS # IF YA DONT HAVE!!!
               WERE YOU THERE WHEN WE ROLL'D THAT GREEN BOWLIN BALL DOWN PALAIS AT BILBOA IN THE VOLVO??? 
                   HE THOUGHT IT WAS A GREEN RUBBER BALL & AIM'D FOR IT...  TO SMASH IT,,,, & THE BALL WON!!!!
                                       STOP BY SOME TIME MIKE.... SAME BATCAVE,,,,  SAME BATPHONE,,,,
             " SPEEDWAY "  INDUSTRY HILLS,,,  (WEDS. NITES)  IN THE SPRING AGAIN!!!!     COVER'D EQUESTRIAN PARK!!!
                                                  ALOT OF THE OLD TIMERS ARE BACK THERE TOO!!!!
                                                                                                                             "TOO HIP GOTTA GO"!!!
                                                                                                                                              DOUG.....
delux67

« Reply #58 on: May 02, 2012, 13:19:35 pm »

I'M BACK IN BLACK YA I'M BACK IN BLACK Grin
AND I HAVE PHOTOS EVEN OF KEITH GOSS WITH HIS PANTS DOWN SKIVIES EXPOSED IN FRONT OF AN AANAHEIM PD COP. HE LIKED DROPPING TROU IN PUBLIC.
delux67

« Reply #59 on: May 02, 2012, 13:51:58 pm »

YEA I'M BACK IN BLACK , BACK IN BLACK BEEN GONE TOO LONG BUT I'M GLAD TO BE BACK
This AC/DC quote is for Doug Berg whose memory is as sharp as a tack and as impactful as a policeman's night stick.
He remembers me beating out the rhythm to Highway to Hell on a guard rail at the dead end street next to Keith Goss's house with s night stick.

Now I got to get to scanning. Lots of images. Wish I had more.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: