The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:45:00 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  The Cal-look classifieds
| |-+  For sale!
| | |-+  '67 US spec bug SOLD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: '67 US spec bug SOLD  (Read 10227 times)
mank

« on: December 30, 2006, 21:58:02 pm »

Finally decided to sell my 67 Bug, anyone interested?
Offers around £10K
Car is currently UK registered
original paint
one previous owner in the US
never been hit
1679 John Maher Racing built motor. 130 bhp @ 6,000 rpm recorded on the JMR dyno
Rancho pro-comp transmission
4.5 and 5.5 EMPI Sprint Stars
EMPI 15" GT steering wheel
Berg locking 40% reduced shifter   
Simson belts
Autometer tack
6 point bolt in cage
for full spec on this car I can be contacted through this web site
or by e-mail ashworth1973@hotmail.com or telephone 0161 494 1760
Thanks for looking
Chris Ashworth

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 00:13:33 am by mank » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 23:05:08 pm »

that is wicked, i've look for the owner of this car "for ages" such a wicked ride! i love that first pic! got it on my desktop!
very inspirational!!

good luck selling!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
The Ideaman

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 23:53:30 pm »

A 1679 with 130hp Shocked!!  Is it streetable?  Wow, what are the specs on the mighty mouse?  I only ask because I'm nosy.  Neatcar.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 00:01:09 am »

A 1679 with 130hp Shocked!!  Is it streetable?  Wow, what are the specs on the mighty mouse?

i wonder as well! it surely got tits, featuring IDAs... but max hp at 6000rpm is nicely done.

again, such a monsterous look. i had expected it to sport a 2 liter  Roll Eyes Grin

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
Diederick/DVK

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 23:16:36 pm »

too bad the specs remain a secret  Undecided

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
mank

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 14:07:21 pm »

Sorry from the late reply but I've just returned to the UK from my Christmas break in the sun.
OK, here is the engine spec for all of you that shown an interest (didn't think it would create such an interest being a small motor but to be honest, this is how the Cal Look thing started off, right?)

The engine spec was originally based around and built as close as possible to Jim Holmes 63 (Fleming, Aronson and Thurber).

The original plan for the car was to fit my DDS wheels, de-trim it and paint it Colbalt Blue/Sapphire Blue... similar to Dean Kirsten's car of the day. But as rat look seems so popular today I think it'll just be left the way it is. But anyway, here's the engine spec:

1679cc Engine Specification

AS41 New crankcase
88mm Thick Wall Mahle Pistons and Cylinders
69mm counterweighted crankshaft
200mm, 12lb, 8 doweled flywheel
Engle FK8 camshaft
JMR 044 cylinder heads (40mmx35.5mm), polished and ported
Autocraft 1.4:1 rockers
Berg chromoloy pushrods
Dual 48 IDA carbs on tall manifolds
Berg 26 mm oil pump
Scat deep sump
Berg 440e Equaliser crank pulley
Kennedy 1700lb pressure plate
15/8” Phoenix merged header
2 ¼” muffler (A1)
HP1 Fram external oil filter
009 Distributor

130 bhp@6,000 rpm recorded on the JMR dyno May 1997

As you can imagine, John blue printed and balanced everything when the engine was built.
mank

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 14:15:02 pm »

A 1679 with 130hp Shocked!!  Is it streetable?  Wow, what are the specs on the mighty mouse?  I only ask because I'm nosy.  Neatcar.

Yeah,it's very streetable, as far as driving goes is a lot of fun, obviously with any built motor you have to dip the clutch now and again and give it a good rev just to clear it.
But it will drive in rush hour traffic as well as on the motorway with no problems. It blows flames out of the exhaust every now and again when you are in traffic but that's part of the fun, right?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 16:41:24 pm »

Neat car! How much compression?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
mank

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 16:53:18 pm »

Neat car! How much compression?

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a clue, I'm not the engine builder, it was built by John Maher of John Maher Racing UK. I only know what went in the engine but I don't know what he did to make it do what it does. I can always ask him if you are interested in buying the car. 
Type1/DVK

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 23:55:08 pm »

wow, didn't know it was yours but that first picture is on my pc longg time Cheesy and ultimate sleeper engine!

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
mank

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 00:12:11 am »

wow, didn't know it was yours but that first picture is on my pc longg time Cheesy and ultimate sleeper engine!

Thanks for the complement, I didn't realize how many people liked the car. To be honest I haven't ever put any pics of this car on the Internet, a friend of mine did, I think he put some on the Samba.

Why don't you go one step further and have the car sat on your driveway not only on your computer?

Chris Ashworth
mank

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 10:47:27 am »

Finally decided to sell my 67 Bug, anyone interested?
Offers around £10K
Car is currently UK registered
original paint
one previous owner in the US
never been hit
1679 John Maher Racing built motor. 130 bhp @ 6,000 rpm recorded on the JMR dyno
Rancho pro-comp transmission
4.5 and 5.5 EMPI Sprint Stars
EMPI 15" GT steering wheel
Berg locking 40% reduced shifter   
Simson belts
Autometer tack
6 point bolt in cage
for full spec on this car I can be contacted through this web site
or by e-mail ashworth1973@hotmail.com or telephone 0161 494 1760
Thanks for looking
Chris Ashworth

OK, a lot of you have asked me for a better description of the car:

- The car was purchased in 2002 from Bob Costa in SoCal, where he told me it had one previous owner from new.

- The car has never been involved in a collision. You can see where it has little bits of paint work on the fenders a part from that the rest of the body is in OG paint with a nice petina.

- The floor pans are perfect and never been welded (cleaned and waxoiled for protection).

- The under side of the fenders is still perfect, original Lotus white, shiny, no sun bleaching (cleaned and polished).

- The car was fully detailed underneath, all the suspension and brakes gone through when built 2002.

- The car has pretty much been sat in a heated garage since then. The reason being I moved to SoCal in 2003.

- As far as 1/4mile times go, it's not been up the strip!

- I did race the engine in my 66 bug which is now fitted in the white 67 and the time recorded 14.31, that's on one of the timming slips...

- It won best Rat Look VW North West when it was put together.

The overall cost of the build for this car was over £16K. I have a lot of interest but nobody making any offers.
I'm in the UK at the minute where the car is. I return to SoCal 21st of this month, I really don't want to put it back in storage so if anybody comes up with a good offer before I return I'm pretty sure that you're going to drive yourself away a bargain!!! Try me!!!

mank

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 14:21:54 pm »

For all of you asking for the botton line price. ANYONE WHO COMES UP WITH £8000 CAN DRIVE IT AWAY.

The build cost on this car was £16,000, half price, not bad, hey? call it January Sale!!!
Ready for European Bug In.

Chris
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 12:20:32 pm by mank » Logged
mank

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2007, 00:13:03 am »

Thanks again for everybody's interest but the car is now sold. A good friend of mine now owns it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: