The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 17:47:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  walker wheels
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: walker wheels  (Read 17251 times)
Abadco2

« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2018, 23:13:14 pm »

Shocked Shocked look those big mirror  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes.......................... Grin Grin Grin
As I have followed this topic, I have been biting my tongue to not enter a statement.  I have a complete set of these Walker wheels (5),  as mentioned by John Lazenby.
I put the set together back in late 60s and ran them on my DKP (generation 1), '67 bug.  I have saved them and painstakingly refurbished them, a story in itself.
I was set to drive them to the last Bug-In #50, here in So Cal this last June 2018, they were not road ready.
For some reason there seems to be a fair amount of pessimism. with these wheels.
In 1968, I was 15 1/2 years old when I bought my first VW, a 1967 zenith blue bug. I enjoyed all things VWs, clubs, VW car rally's, drag's, Bug Ins. 
This is the time that predates everything that became "Cal Look."
Doing a VW back then and being in DKP, the goal was to excel with both looks and performance, also be cutting edge.  BRMs, American Torques, magnesium, were the wheels of choice.  Both hard to come by then, harder now. The other wheel choices for wide five were limited as well.
How do you do something cutting edge but different?  I chose these, possibly harder to get a complete set together then, than any other aforementioned wheels. Ask Dyno Don, he was always trting to get me to sell him my spare.
Regards,
Art Alvarez, DKP Generation 1
MC Dyno Don

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2018, 14:57:08 pm »

For sure one of the most unusual wheels ever produced.... Arts car looked fantastic back in the day with them.   BTY.... The DDM markings  stand for Dyno Don/David Mays....  as the wheels were remanufactured from the originals that I sold Randy/Randar for such purpose.   Travel on.......    Peace Out/Dyno Don
Abadco2

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2018, 00:57:57 am »

For sure one of the most unusual wheels ever produced.... Arts car looked fantastic back in the day with them.   BTY.... The DDM markings  stand for Dyno Don/David Mays....  as the wheels were remanufactured from the originals that I sold Randy/Randar for such purpose.   Travel on.......    Peace Out/Dyno Don
Peace out ✌🏼Art
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2018, 12:30:39 pm »

hi art  nice to see you here
i've just one phot of your car with the walker wheels
i've seen the one you brought at the 50th dkp birthday
those very heavy

rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2018, 12:36:31 pm »

and i remember a picture of mother's bus with those walker wheels

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2018, 17:05:49 pm »

here's an advertising for the walker wheels , here' showed with a center caps

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2018, 17:09:53 pm »

Wink

Abadco2

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2018, 00:07:40 am »

To Mr. Speedwell,
Yes you have captured to entire known history of these wheels, including some of my only pictures.
Having recently rejoined the ?bug nation,? I still hear the fugly remarks.

Understood. Not everybody?s cup of tea. Unusual would be the best words for them, in their natural state, rough.
But as you see on the Rick ?mother? Meisners bus, (fronts), his were hand polished, like BRMs were done in the day.  Professional polished were quite different and more acceptable, IMHO.  I don?t understand the hate for them? I can see dislike, but fugly, a bit strong.

My ?63 fjord blue rag sunroof bug, it has the Airkewld front and rear disc brake system, which allows the change between Porsche 5 X 130 bolt pattern and 5 X 205, VW wide five. Looking to show up running the Walkers wheels, could be any day as they are now sorted.

Regards,

Art A.
Doktor

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2018, 19:48:10 pm »

@ Abadaco2: your grey bug really looked great on those wheels, just a little bit different - your personal touch.  Cool
I have just finished re-reading "Story of California Look" few days ago, and really enjoy opportunity to hangout and learn everything about cal-look on this forum.

dr.aircooled
Abadco2

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2018, 03:36:02 am »

To Doctor,
Our DKP club was very competitive. As Greg Aronson built the legendary white car, John Lazenby the butternut gold car, they were setting new heights.
As I built my bug it was quite the challenge, to pick a color, interior, motor and wheels. Wanting to push the envelope so to say.  I always knew I could search out BRMs.
Regards,
Art A.
Doktor

« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2018, 19:49:10 pm »

@Abadco2:

Hi, yes, I'm aware that between members in DKP was some kind of competition spirit, mostly oriented on performance above all.
Aronsons car and Lazeby's Butternut car were school example how to make a good looking cal-look bug.
They both stand the test of the time, very easy !

dr.aircooled
johnl

« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2018, 17:13:16 pm »

Art, thanks for the compliment on my  Butternut car.  I think those that speak badly of the Walker Wheels you have don't understand or appreciate the history that goes with them.  Through your diligence of keeping them and then a very involved restoration you have something to be truly proud of.  That was a special time that we lived with our cars of the day and you have managed to keep a part of that history alive.

Just yesterday I got the urge to take our '61 Sunroof 2276-48 IDA out for a ride by myself and drove out to Cook's Corner and back stopping along the way for lunch.  That brought back great memories of a young kid in a '63 Sunroof (pre Butternut) doing the same thing some 50+ years earlier.  I was so inspired that I'll take it out again today and meet my Bride for lunch.  This car has a set of 5 repro BRM wheels which were the ones I could never get my hands on back in the day.  So I had to settle for a NOS set of American Torquethurst real Mags.  Wish I had those today...   
[my/b]

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Abadco2

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2018, 01:14:31 am »

Dear John,
Still playing with our toys. Our top (DKP) was very high ^ it was always a challenge.  I am still seeks relevant wheels of choice, would have loved to get magnesium torques, like yours.
The complement was well earned and set new heights, and was the envy of those who truly appreciate works of auto art.
Art
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: