The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 13, 2024, 14:29:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351120 Posts in 28642 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Is a Cal-looker in violation to the law in the country you come from?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Is a Cal-looker in violation to the law in the country you come from?  (Read 17584 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2006, 01:51:27 am »

if you know the right MOT guy then anything goes  Wink my friends 63 just got though with US style plates  and T bars, its all about who you know  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
JS

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2007, 20:33:06 pm »

Tonight i hit the JACKPOT!  Cheesy

Driving to the racetrack I was pulled over by the Norwegian Vehicle Authorities for a tech inspection.
It basically ended up with the guy asking me: Is there anything you HAVENīT done to this car?!?(2276, IDAīs, big muffler, traction bar, drag shocks, steering wheel, mickey tīs the list is LONG and distinguished)
He went to get his clipboard and started to check the litte boxes for what was WRONG with the car. After about 10 seconds he shakes his head and writes: FULL TECH INSPECTION in capital letters.  Cheesy
Oh well, time to blow some dust of the thrusty 30hp down at the workshop.  Wink

BUT!!!
IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!
I smoked turboīd europeans and blown amcarīs WITH SLICKS today! WHAT AN AMAZING FEELING!

To my point: JHU is probably right  Cheesy

Signature.
banditina

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 00:37:01 am »

In Italy it is simpler.......we must have the cars absolutely in original status Angry All the modifications are illegal. For example....we can't change the original 1200cc with an other new 1200cc motor. So we are outlaw...like in the far-west Grin Grin 

Grin Grin Grin...

Absolutely illegal in Italy...
but.......

do it.. do it... do it.... Grin

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 01:16:09 am »

Tonight i hit the JACKPOT!  Cheesy

Driving to the racetrack I was pulled over by the Norwegian Vehicle Authorities for a tech inspection.
It basically ended up with the guy asking me: Is there anything you HAVENīT done to this car?!?(2276, IDAīs, big muffler, traction bar, drag shocks, steering wheel, mickey tīs the list is LONG and distinguished)
He went to get his clipboard and started to check the litte boxes for what was WRONG with the car. After about 10 seconds he shakes his head and writes: FULL TECH INSPECTION in capital letters.  Cheesy

BUT!!!
IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!
I smoked turboīd europeans and blown amcarīs WITH SLICKS today! WHAT AN AMAZING FEELING!

To my point: JHU is probably right  Cheesy

Sorry to hear that Johnny... its the same old storry, a lot of work for nothing... as everything will go back just as it was as soon as the check is done.
Dont give in to the MAN!!  Cheesy

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 01:34:07 am »

Heard about your little mishap yesterday Johnny. Shit happens...
Eddie DVK

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 12:25:37 pm »

Dokke I am suprised about that
  I do have t-bars
because we are not allowed to have pointy things on your car that can hurt pedestrians and cyclist.

But i agree, it s ok for us in the netherslands to have a callook car

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
LuftsickTero

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 16:42:18 pm »

"Norwegian Vehicle Authorities"?? So, you mean they weren't police?

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
JS

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 17:43:23 pm »

Nope, the highway police in Norway doesīnt have tech inspections per se.
They deal with drunk driving, speeding and other traffic violations mostly.

Signature.
nicolas

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 20:43:25 pm »

i will let you know just how illegal my fastback is in belgium as i will trry to have it inspected this wednesday. it hasn't been in circulation since 2001 and now it needs to be registered again. i will give you guys the list later...

hopefully it goes better as my stock square (only the rims and ridehight were different) and only the wheels were mentioned. plus the rest...
it was a very long list and i must say the guys at the inspection don't really like the craftmanship of german carbuilders and engeniers of the 60's

alfie the monster

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 20:56:41 pm »

if you know the right MOT guy then anything goes  Wink my friends 63 just got though with US style plates  and T bars, its all about who you know  Wink

I've never had a problem with t bars  Huh

Or am I just lucky  Wink

JG54 Grunherz
Cornpanzer

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2007, 01:16:38 am »

You guys really work hard for your Cal-look cars. RESPECT!  I have been driving my 67 for nine years now and I have never had to have it inspected because we dont have an inspection here. 

I have run slicks on my car for the past three or four years.  Last year I had a cop parked on my street catching speeders and I drove right by him on slicks and open exhaust belching race fuel fumes the whole way  Smiley  He never even looked at me.  Basically, I am pretty safe unless I am driving poorly.  My biggest concern is a rookie cop trying to be a tough guy.

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
alex d

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2007, 08:40:16 am »

Here in Spain, you can't make any modification to a car in theory, but you can legally modificate engine, brakes or suspension if you get the car tech checked (which involves €€€€), so most of the people just run with illegal modifications, even non-stock tyre sizes can get you a ticket, but as anywhere if you don't drive like a moron the police won't care much.
The Ideaman

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2007, 14:18:41 pm »

My 67 has no front plate, which in California will get you a ticket.  I keep it in the trunk.  Haven't been stopped yet for it.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
71CALRIPPER

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2007, 14:21:05 pm »

Same no number plate, but is kept just incase...Smiley I supose its not a boy racer car so they dont tend to pick on them
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2007, 14:24:41 pm »

In holland(netherlands) alot is possible.
I think that t-bars are a no no and stingers too but besides that i think anything is possible here.
My previous beetle passed its MOT with a bigger then stock engine and lowered and all but
no problems.
The only problem i had was that no jack would fit under the car to jack it up,haha Grin

Fast vw beetle's rule
nicolas

« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2007, 20:13:49 pm »

ok i went to the automobile inspection today and got a red cart, which means my car is not allowed on the streets.

normally you get a red card and are permitted to run it for a couple of weeks, but mine needs to be reregistered and it is either a GO or a NO.

so what was wrong?

my brakelights didn't work. they were right that is a pretty nice feature. and very usefull. but the pressureswitch didn't work. so i swapped the wires to a different one and problem solved

AND the tiresizes. they all need to be the same size. so i challange all you callookguys to run 215/65/15 tires front and back  Grin

i have 165/80 at the back and 165/65 and that is not allowed.so i have to find a set of original wheels that i can fit and drive it back and have it checked again. i hope the stock tires wont rub the arches too much... otherwise i have to lift it again. and DDD is way too close to get everything in working order. i only can go back next wednesday. it will get hairy  Wink
sheep

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2007, 20:41:50 pm »

I would say that the lax nature of the US is a mixed blessing. While it makes it easy for us guys to stuff 48 Webered motors under the deck, and spew ozone poking noxious fumes into the air, run slicks past kindergarten kids walking home, lower front ends so nose of car is under the mufflers of most "normal" cars....it also lets these friggin idiots with "Hoodrides" get away with the absolutely stupid things that I have seen too. Working at a VW repair and parts place for a long time exposed me to some real nightmares. I can't tell you how many cars came in for dual carb installs that had almost no brakes. Or a mile of play in the steering. Taillights out. Wiring harneses that were more like tinder piles. These guys are out there on the same roads as you and I and our loved ones....how's that make you feel? The big thing to do was (maybe still is?) to run temporary spare tires on your hoodride POS, with its 6" narrowed beam (I still don't get the point of the narrowed beam if you're running brakes that keep tires under fenders as it is). I saw missing seatbelts, wheel lugs missing, broken trans mounts, springplates loose at axles, broken shocks, bodies coming unbolted from pan, front beams the were simply "cut" to lower car (Never rewelded)....

I'm not asking for the gestapo to come to my house and make me put an airbag in my Empi sterring wheel, but honestly, our government could do a little better job to keep this crap off the roads.

man well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

unless it has wheels,tits or fins I dont care
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2007, 20:50:08 pm »

great words jim there's one man who see clear  Wink
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Neil Davies

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2007, 09:05:53 am »

Jim, you're pretty much asking for the UK system - the Ministry of Transport (MOT) insist that cars are tested every year for lights, brakes, wipers, seatbelts suspension, body corrosion etc, but there are no rules to say that we can't lower the fronts of our cars, fit big motors, run 145s and 205s etc. As long as the car is safe, it should pass. The more modern the car, the more stringent the rules on emissions, but that's about it.

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
JustinCase

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 07:31:03 am »

Small wonders do happen now and then here in Finland.... Grin Took my car to the inspection-station yesterday with the front hanging quite low, number plate tied to the passenger side sunvisor and t-bars still on. I thought i take my chance and see what the inspector got to say about those things. He asked me about the t-bars and said: " And these are supposed to be the bumbers, am i right?" I said yes they are and, thatīs it... Huh I was already prepared to go back home and install my OG bumbers on and then back again to the station, but no. Drove my car home, inspected with t-bars on. Cheesy
Pekka

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2007, 17:26:33 pm »

Small wonders do happen now and then here in Finland.... Grin Took my car to the inspection-station yesterday with the front hanging quite low, number plate tied to the passenger side sunvisor and t-bars still on. I thought i take my chance and see what the inspector got to say about those things. He asked me about the t-bars and said: " And these are supposed to be the bumbers, am i right?" I said yes they are and, thatīs it... Huh I was already prepared to go back home and install my OG bumbers on and then back again to the station, but no. Drove my car home, inspected with t-bars on. Cheesy

What an incompetent inspector  Grin

I sent the club a wire stating, "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

- Groucho Marx
nicolas

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2007, 18:50:42 pm »

i need one of those tomorrow  Grin

What an incompetent inspector  Grin
nicolas

« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2007, 15:27:42 pm »

yes yes yes !!!!

it passed inspection, DDD here i come. now i only need license plates and insurance... but my girl is working on that tomorrow. see that is why i posted the tread about thanking your girlfriends once in a while...  Grin

bathing ape

« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2007, 16:22:35 pm »

yes yes yes !!!!

it passed inspection, DDD here i come. now i only need license plates and insurance... but my girl is working on that tomorrow. see that is why i posted the tread about thanking your girlfriends once in a while...  Grin

good move!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: