The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:47:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  Late Karmann Cab
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Late Karmann Cab  (Read 5580 times)
Rich99

« on: July 08, 2009, 21:57:00 pm »

I recently picked up this imported Karmann cab as I was looking for a garage for my Karmann Ghia.  Could not resist at the price so after grief from the other half, work has begun.  The work on the body has begun, trim is off and there is some persuading to do on various bolts around the wings etc!  Thinking of using some detailed Lemmerz Sprints on it but like the stance as is.  Not sure what to do regarding the engine as have various parts that were going to go on the Ghia....decisions, decisions.... Undecided  Not sure if the pic comes out though
Rich99

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 22:08:13 pm »

And some extra pictures....
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:06 am »

Oof, you have your work cut out dude! The plan for the wheels sound cool... What kind of condition is it in then?

Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 16:07:08 pm »

Nice one Rich, I'm doing a Karmann cabrio too (build thread around here somewhere!) - post up pictures of how yours is doing and I'll do the same. I like the sound of the Sprintstars - I've got a set of chrome ones but going for Porsche cookie cutters on ours. Got a target finish date yet? Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rich99

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 18:02:17 pm »

Optimistically its the end of the month!  Unlike many others, this is not a full resto, just a "half-way" job so the car can get it's MOT and can be used as a daily, with more effort being spent on the Karmann Ghia convertible.  I have had that poor girl for 14 year so she is due some "love and affection" to use the Joan Armatrading song.  The sprintstars were for that project but will use them on this instead, so will take some pics at the weekend if we can get that done as the replacement door skins are being welded Saturday.  Unfortunately the condition of the wheels far outweighs the rest of the car.  Sourced a new bonnet, just needs stripping back and painting which would make the car look a whole lot better.  Rusted old nuts allowing, the wings are coming off tonight.  Floorpan and heater channels look pretty solid so hoping not too much is found and on a positive tone, the screwdriver did not disappear too often when prodding the rust patches!

Saw your project Neil so will compare notes and take lots of pictures to show you the progress.  When the KG is done then its full resto for this car, but I am sure everyone knows how it is, one job leads to three others and suddenly its 2011!
Rich99

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 21:55:11 pm »

We had an interesting weekend working on the cab, took off the running boards and found a little work is required so we can forget the end of the month as the pictures show.

On the plus side, the wheels go really nicely, enhance the look I think.   In a nearby garage Paul has been struggling with getting his sprints to fit under the rear wheel arch so looks like a swap is on the cards, EMPI versions instead of Lemmerz if there is a difference as they are looking to be around 7J, so should look fine.
Rich99

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 23:10:54 pm »

And some of the good and bad stuff....
drgouk

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:11 am »

Nothing like a late Cab, heres a pic of my 1979 bug vert for some motivation, 196hp 2332cc efi, berg 5. It hauls ass.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:01:52 am by drgouk » Logged
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009, 16:42:00 pm »

If you're having some 7" Sprints made up, do it with 4.5" of backspace. It will work/look perfect with the wide IRS rear Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rich99

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 11:12:33 am »

Thanks guys for your inspiration and support, it looks after yesterdays work that I was highly optimistic.  Last time I looked, bathroom silicone sealant was not a ususal method of repairing inner wings  Shocked!  Front wings are now off and there is a whole lot of welding to be done so will take the camera down to the garage and share with you all the quality of bodges!  On the positive side, Paul (welding messiah) reckons three weekends and it should be looking good.....

The wider Sprints are in the garage and will be going on in a few weeks time so will let you know what they look and fit like Zach.
beetletom

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 18:39:03 pm »

hey, were you the guy who bought the 5.5 sprints from me??
Rich99

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 18:51:38 pm »

Hi Tom, I am and you can see them modelled on the car.  I originally bought them for the Karmann Ghia but have decided to put them on here for now, hope you like the look.  They are however going on my mate Paul's Karmann Ghia coupe as the EMPI 7" he bought are too wide for his car without a fair amount of work and pain so looks like a good swop!
Rich99

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 21:45:44 pm »

Looks like a few weekends of dealing with the dreaded tinworm....

On the plus side, engine lid, front wings and bumpers are off  Shocked, whoever thought using hex headed bolts on wings needs their heads examining!
Rich99

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 21:49:27 pm »

Some serious bodging showing up  Angry
Rich99

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 21:53:23 pm »

Looks can be deceiving, or so I am hoping Roll Eyes
simon uk

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 10:59:03 am »

oh boy that brings back some memories of when I did my late Karmann, you wait until you get into the strut towers..... Mine had the floor pan welded to the sills, and everything was knackered. It took 3 years to finish, then I had to sell it on to buy bits for my first house. I think there were about 70 new panels in it, including small patch welded repairs, wings, engine lid, bonnet, then a rhd conversion. With hindsight, I wouldnt have bothered.... Still, it was nice to drive at the time - it was painted white with genuine empi 8s and a retrimmed porsche interior.

Keep the pics coming, although they do make me shudder a bit.
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

sounds cool simon, perhaps you could post a pic of the sake of inspiration Wink

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
simon uk

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 13:18:37 pm »

I will have a look, but I think most of the pics I had went with the car when it was sold  Cry
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 14:10:55 pm »

Wow, spot of lioght patching I see?!  Shocked Shocked

Will be worth it in the long run.

Neil Davies

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2009, 08:22:20 am »

Thanks guys for your inspiration and support, it looks after yesterdays work that I was highly optimistic.  Last time I looked, bathroom silicone sealant was not a ususal method of repairing inner wings  Shocked Front wings are now off and there is a whole lot of welding to be done so will take the camera down to the garage and share with you all the quality of bodges!  On the positive side, Paul (welding messiah) reckons three weekends and it should be looking good.....

The wider Sprints are in the garage and will be going on in a few weeks time so will let you know what they look and fit like Zach.

No, it IS a usual method! I've found it in virtually every Beetle I've worked on! Cheesy It does look worse than originally thought, but then, so does mine! We'll get there! Wink

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: