The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 23:31:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print
Author Topic: Current Pics of Marc Buehler's Split Window  (Read 157372 times)
marc1951

« Reply #210 on: October 15, 2009, 04:44:47 am »

Thanks marc - I was just teasing about the motor Wink I just wanna see ANOTHER modern style motor in an otherwise old skool car  Smiley

If you really can't find the manifolds I am sure I can help - I will send out a few emails later today - do you have ANY pic's of your old motor???
[/quote]

I've got a few people on this side of the world looking for me, but if I can't find any by the time the motor is together, I'll have to use a pair of unknown manifolds I bought at the swap meet. They are a little taller and have been match ported to someone Else's heads but they may work and they only cost me $10. I really want to use the RaceTrim/Deano manifolds though so if you come across some that have not been butchered, keep me in mind, please.

I hope to start putting the motor together very soon and then you can see pictures of THIS motor.

Thanks

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #211 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:26 am »

p.s dude that should read" I Just DON'T wanna see....." Wink

I might have a pair of dds manifolds for ya - let me find out Smiley

I really really can't wait to see this car finished Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
marc1951

« Reply #212 on: October 16, 2009, 06:21:25 am »

p.s dude that should read" I Just DON'T wanna see....." Wink

I might have a pair of dds manifolds for ya - let me find out Smiley

I really really can't wait to see this car finished Wink

Yeah, I knew what you meant...

manifolds:      That would be super. Let me know.

can't wait:    me too!!!  My shop is a mess with parts all over the place and I can hardly move around in my storage room and attic from me searching through boxes for parts.  Oh......and it's been a long time since I pounded through the gears in a hot 48ida VW. <grin>

Joe H.

« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2009, 06:43:34 am »

Looks good Marc! You have officially passed me by. My trans is in, but I haven't put the front end together yet. When you're done send Bob to my house. Grin
marc1951

« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2009, 03:22:46 am »

Looks good Marc! You have officially passed me by. My trans is in, but I haven't put the front end together yet. When you're done send Bob to my house. Grin

Thanks Joe......

When I'm done, both of us will be at your door......<grin>

If you let it sit too long, it's no longer a fun project. It becomes a chunk of metal that's always in your way. I know, because that's why it sat for 30 years.

If you need anything, let me know......

Marc

Joe H.

« Reply #215 on: October 25, 2009, 04:18:26 am »

If you need anything, let me know......

How about a good tile setter. I'm knee deep in a bathroom remodel! Wink

If you let it sit too long, it's no longer a fun project. It becomes a chunk of metal that's always in your way. I know, because that's why it sat for 30 years.

I hear that. As soon as the bathroom is done, back to work on the toy.
marc1951

« Reply #216 on: January 11, 2010, 05:56:39 am »

Wow, I haven't posted the progress on the split window for 3 months!!  It's not because nothing has been done, quite the contrary.

Status, as of today:
Pan done with front end installed, brakes all rebuilt, sway-a-way adj spring plates installed, all new brake lines, rebuilt and modified pedal assembly....just need transaxle to finish it.
Transaxle is still at Dave Folts Transmissions in Ontario, Calf with problems. The case is well worn and so, I'm forced to uprate to a new case. I want to keep the ZF limit slip but the bolt pattern is different on the new Ring gear, but Dave was able to machine a new hole pattern in the ZF to match the ring gear.  Unfortunately, he discovered 2 broken bolts that hold the thing together and we are currently at a stand still while we figure out our options.  Dave really knows his stuff and spent a lot of time with me discussing gear ratios and ways to accomplish my goals.

The first 2 pics are the trans as I strip it down to ship to Dave.
The next 2 pics are the new stainless steel brake lines as I struggle to get them to fit.

Marc Buehler
DRA

marc1951

« Reply #217 on: January 11, 2010, 06:13:49 am »

and more............
By the way, you haven't lived until you have installed a clutch cable on a VW this old. the tube that the cable goes in is in the middle of the pan tunnel and you can't get your fingers in there and you can't see what you are doing. It's easy and probable that you will push your cable outside of the tube and down the tunnel over and over.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I decided to modify the pedal assembly and add a bushing at the end of the clutch shaft as it is only supported by this little bracket (which wears out quickly).

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] My homemade bushing.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I decided to get an idea what it was going to take the clean up my BRMs. This is the worse wheel I own, by far. It is from the Under Dog and , of course, it was used on the race car because it wasn't in great shape to begin with.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] The good news is after sanding and polishing a 4 inch section for an hour, it did clean up. The wheels I'm using on the split are in much better shape.  My 2 "Under Dog" wheels will be used for slicks.

marc1951

« Reply #218 on: January 11, 2010, 06:28:32 am »

I spent a little time searching my storage area and found one of the motors I used to run in the car back in the 70's. I'll be using as much as I can from the old motor.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Here is the case as I prepare to wrinkle paint it.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] The heads I had AJ Sims do for me. They look pretty nice but when I CC'd them they varied quite a bit. Having waited 4 months for them, I wasn't about to let them out of my site so I ended up flycutting one of them and that corrected the problem.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I'm using a set of Auto Craft rocker arms from the old motor. After 30 years, they were in good condition except I had to replace the roller bearings.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Here I'm setting up side play.

Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #219 on: January 11, 2010, 06:37:03 am »

Just absolutely great to see the progress Marc!  Once again I was just thinking about you and any progress... looks like things are moving along quite swimmingly. 

So So very nice.  Really looking great.   

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
marc1951

« Reply #220 on: January 11, 2010, 06:48:15 am »

And I continue with the motor. After a trial assembly, I took the motor parts to a machine shop to be balanced. It took them 2 months to get around to it and then found out that nothing needed to be "adjusted".  You would think the motor would be the last thing I did for the car, but 4 months to get the heads, 2 months to get it balanced, etc. make me glad I started it when I did.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I had been using the mag on a friend's VW drag bike so I decided to take it apart and check it out. Won't be doing that again. This is the base and the brass plates used for the advance mechanism. It's like a Chinese puzzle.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] And here is the motor going together. The original crank was a 78mm and needed work so I'm using a 82mm crank. I couldn't see buying a new set of 92mm cylinders and pistons so went with the 94mm ones.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Getting heads ready to stick on. Never used head gaskets/spacers/ before (except on a 40hp) so this is a new experience.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I usually use stock push rod tubes and never have any problems, but thought I would try these spring loaded ones with the double o-ring. I will be surprised if these things leak as the spring pressure is so much I could hardly compress them enough to get them on. Nice!

marc1951

« Reply #221 on: January 11, 2010, 07:08:53 am »

Just absolutely great to see the progress Marc!  Once again I was just thinking about you and any progress... looks like things are moving along quite swimmingly. 

So So very nice.  Really looking great.   

Ah Jason...............I got tired of waiting for you to ask <grin> .
I think you will be surprised on how much I've done, but you may have to wait another day to find out as it's getting late..............

Thanks for the encouragement,

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I even had an old set of chrome moly pushrods from Auto Haus.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I have an original set of EMPI valve covers. These are 40 years old!!

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] A little polishing and a new paint job and they came out quite good.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Speaking of EMPI....I bought this oil cooler block off and what a piece of junk!  It's tapped at the back for whatever and includes a plug. The "pipe thread" plug will not tighten as the threads must not be tapered. I ended up epoxying the plug in. Then the hardware included isn't long enough so I supplied my own.  I also decided to modify the oil galleries  and now wish I had just machined my own......which I might still do.

More later.............................................

empicolector

EMPI RULES

« Reply #222 on: January 11, 2010, 09:09:27 am »

nice work
please post more pictures of the wheels
thanks
deano

« Reply #223 on: January 11, 2010, 15:07:18 pm »

For a second, I thought you were pumbing the brakes lines through the clutch pedal opening.... phew. Nice work Marc!

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Sarge

« Reply #224 on: January 11, 2010, 15:15:07 pm »

Nice job, Marc.... it's cool seeing some progress! Cool

DKP III
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2010, 15:29:25 pm »

top work marc , great to see that the project advances  Cool

and it's very coo to see the underdog wheels  Shocked Shocked, no stories about those one Huh

rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Neil Davies

« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2010, 17:08:19 pm »

and it's very coo to see the underdog wheels  Shocked Shocked, no stories about those one Huh

rgd
fabs

I think Andy Marriot had a pair of the Underdog wheels too. http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7621.msg119861.html#msg119861

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2010, 23:04:09 pm »

Great to hear from you marc - its all looking good, I especially love the "wrinkle finish" case  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
marc1951

« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2010, 02:27:52 am »

rgd
fabs

I think Andy Marriot had a pair of the Underdog wheels too. http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7621.msg119861.html#msg119861

Interesting.....
 I was a partner with Ron Fleming and Doug Gordon the last year of the Underdog. I don't remember how or why but I ended up with wheels. I thought I may have snagged all 4 of them as I had a total of 9 wheels and I sold 2 of them to a fellow club member. But all the wheels on the race car were rough and I couldn't believe I would have sold the "dog" wheels to a friend for his very nice square back in that condition. It makes more sense to me that I only got 2 and the ones you mention could indeed be the missing pair.

Marc

marc1951

« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2010, 04:25:48 am »

Good news today!  Ed Craig found some manifolds for me, not the ones I wanted, but they should work. .....and  Dave Folts magnufluxed the 8 bolts on the ZF and found all but 2 of them were broken or had cracks!!!........but the good news is that he located some bolts that should work.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] The black powdered fan housing was from my old motor but I happen to have a 25 horse housing (notice the seam down the middle) that I'm going to use. I'm running a Porsche 12v generator that is the same size as a 6 volt unit.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] And now back to the body. I had to pull out all the house hold insulation that was packed into every crevice. In some places it was hard as a rock.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] When I was finished, I had foam and old insulation all over the shop. I also pulled out the head liner which upset me as I loved it. It was very well done.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] And here's the car being loaded for it's trip to the sand blaster. It was a scary trip as we left it on the make shift wooden cart that I thought sure would shake apart......it didn't.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2010, 04:38:49 am »

I hope they wallnut shell blasting and not sandblasting. Stop them If they are sandblasting, Ask and I will tell you why.

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
marc1951

« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2010, 04:41:48 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] whew...made it in 1 piece and they unload the car at the sand blaster.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] The owner of the sand blaster took a liking to the car and offered to delivered it to Bob's house. My good friend, Bob, Will be doing the body work.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] One thing about having your car media blasted is that every sin the car has ever suffered is uncovered and exposed. It's scary!  Here is the rear deck lid. What the hell are all those holes for? and dents?  The car has had some questionable work done it before I got the car.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Here we have the car on Bob's rotisserie.

marc1951

« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2010, 04:48:02 am »

I hope they wallnut shell blasting and not sandblasting. Stop them If they are sandblasting, Ask and I will tell you why.

I don't know exactly what they use. I know they have several types of media. This is not the first car I've had done there and it came out as expected.
What kind of horror story do you have.......I can imagine using sand would remove metal, not just paint and rust.

marc1951

« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2010, 05:02:32 am »

It has always been obvious the car had suffered some front end damage, but the spare tire hid it. After the media blasting removed all the bondo and fiberglass, the true extent of the damage and more important, the way it was fixed surfaced.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] This is the better side. Primer hides the damage a bit.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] This is the other side!  What a mess! 

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] and this is the outside, after Bob has pounded it as straight as he could . It was covered with bondo and fiberglass.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] The front piece had been replaced but was never riveted or welded until now.

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2010, 05:09:27 am »

Run a file over the metal, And that will tell ya what they blasted it with! Who's doing the metal work on the car? Do you want it metal finished?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
marc1951

« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2010, 05:29:57 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] Here Bob has formed a new piece to replace the disaster. It's not finished yet and only roughed in but already looks 1000 times better.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] and here is the inside. Bob is quite a fabricator and has built airplanes, several hot rods, pile drivers, and God knows what else. I'm extremely lucky to have him working on my car.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] This is a body mount with nutplate that was rusted so bad, that it was almost non existant. Bob recreated it from scratch.

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ] I'm still trying to figure out why someone would chisel out a hole here and then pop rivet a plate on. It's above the transmission nose.

kingsburgphil

« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2010, 05:53:51 am »

I was under the impression that sandblasting sheetmetal would tend to work harden it, kinda like shot peening. Could
you enlighten us on the subject?

Also, what about using plastic, CO2 or soda media?  Your thoughts please.
Neil Davies

« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2010, 13:36:53 pm »

Without wanting to take this further off topic, I'm also interested in soda blasting and all ther pro's and con's of the different media used to blast with, so I've created a thread here: http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,11432.msg173726.html#msg173726 for us to discuss the different methods of paint removal! Danny, Marc, Phil, could you post your thoughts in there please? Smiley

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2010, 05:23:31 am »

Marc

Do you need the pair of Race Trim manifolds for your IDA'S . Let me know and I will mail them to you as soon as you need them. I'll trade you for a pair of tall Skatt Trak.

Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
marc1951

« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2010, 06:24:38 am »

Marc

Do you need the pair of Race Trim manifolds for your IDA'S . Let me know and I will mail them to you as soon as you need them. I'll trade you for a pair of tall Skatt Trak.

Frenchy

Sent you a personal email................

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 17 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: