The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2024, 01:18:08 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  VWs are HOT RODS!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VWs are HOT RODS!  (Read 2240 times)
Jim Aust

« on: May 04, 2009, 00:19:55 am »

Hi guys, don't know if you checked it out, but we have had some friendly correspondence with a few of your members over on our board- The Garage http://traditionalspeedandkustom.com/thegarage/index.php?topic=1011.0

We started it as an alternative to some of the other boards because I felt too constricted at times when some things like Volkswagens, Mustangs and post 64 Pickup Trucks were OFF-TOPIC. Sure there are message boards like yours that cater to a specific interest, but what if you like ALL those things. Do you ALWAYS have to take it to a sepeate group of friends to talk about them? Nope.

My background is that I was raised by a hardcore old car nut. Nothing was taboo and we liked everything from turn of the century early motorcars to late-model muscle cars from my childhood. We mostly messed with Tri-Five Chevies and early V-8 Fords, but when my grandparents started buying Volkswagens before I was born and my mom had a brand new '68 when I was 1-year old I forever was fascinated. By the time I was 10 on 1976 my uncles had some pretty cool Cal-Lookers and PLENTY in my neighborhood in Redondo Beach. My next door neighbor worked at "AutoHaus" and a good friends uncle ran a really popular Volkswagen garage that did all the local killer Bug work. He had a flawless Sedan with a plate that said "DER SNRF".
I didn't get my first bug until I was 20 (a '61 that I had known most of my life), but I LOVED that car. Tricked it out for my future wife and then had a string of at least 8 more. I collected all the rare EMPI stuff, had a FULL collection of EVERY Volkswagen magazine ever printed and then the economy took a CRAP. Lost my job in Aerospace Industry- and slowly all the toys got sold. I bounced back eventually with a unplanned job at Petersen Publishing as an editor at Sport Truck Magazine after Hot VWs turned me down. From there I became the Editor of the Goodguys Gazette for 3 years and then Rod & Custom called me to be their editor. After 3 years there I started my own franchise of the famous SO-CAL Speed Shop- SO-CAL Los Angeles (www.socalspeedshopla.com) I'm the one on the left.
The economy slowed down and I hatched a plan to make my ultimate vision of an ON-LINE Rod & Kustom magazine and that what we just launched over a month ago @ www.traditionalspeedandkustom.com.
It's been going GREAT- and plans have always been to launch a similar VW magazine very soon once the first mag pays for its self. I tested the waters with the post about VWs because I know SO MANY hot rodders that also love V-Dubs- and that brings us here. I REALLY like your board and will be spending A LOT of time here! Thanks for welcoming me, Jim Aust

Let me know if you need anything from SO-CAL Speed Shop let me know- I own the SO-CAL L.A. franchise in Long Beach, CA. thanks Jim 310/991-6128
TexasTom

12.58@106, 7.89@89 Texas Motorplex 10/18/09

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 01:33:04 am »

Jim,
Thank you for the post and honest, open point of view.
I just made a post to the forum in aingst after reading the replies form your forum.
I just can't understand nor care to oblige their point of view. I don't like it, understand it, or care to deal with it. What's their problem? I guess they'd say, what's mine?
Oh well ... like I said, thatnks for your open opinion.
Hotrodding is a worldwide expression through automotive engineering, reengineering and modification which has NO BOUNDARIES.
Tom Funnell

Work, work, WORK!

Modesty accepted here ...
Jim Aust

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 02:08:00 am »

Please read again- we were given KUDOS for our appreciation of Volkswagens. There is A DIFFERENT hot rod board or two that are NOT friendly. That was NOT the topic here or in the other post. We don't need to start trouble- please don't give anyone a reason to keep the two interests separate because MANY of us just live cars- and hot rods and VWs are a good as it gets. Thanks Jim

Let me know if you need anything from SO-CAL Speed Shop let me know- I own the SO-CAL L.A. franchise in Long Beach, CA. thanks Jim 310/991-6128
67worshipper

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:53 am »

i take my car to the local hot rod hang out on a tuesday night.they are welcoming and open arms with the vw.they can see lots of dedication goes into a hot vw not just lowering and a set of wheels.obviously theyd like to see me driving a rod but its not that simple Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Jim Ratto

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 20:57:29 pm »

Most "real" car guys enjoy real cars. While some cars are more familiar, and comfortable to some guys, true car nuts appreciate the soul of any interesting car. I've met a lot of so-called gearheads (knuckleheads is better term) that looked down their noses at such and such car.... only making themselves look ignorant if you ask me. It's a "high school" mentality that some guys never outgrow I guess. Even after their Trans Am is handed its ass by a VW.
OgCalLook

Straight outa Riverside!

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 22:04:49 pm »

Most "real" car guys enjoy real cars. While some cars are more familiar, and comfortable to some guys, true car nuts appreciate the soul of any interesting car. I've met a lot of so-called gearheads (knuckleheads is better term) that looked down their noses at such and such car.... only making themselves look ignorant if you ask me. It's a "high school" mentality that some guys never outgrow I guess. Even after their Trans Am is handed its ass by a VW.

Well said Jim!
VWs are #1 with me, but there are a lot of other nice rides out there that I appreciate.

Tom Hewitson
Bahama Blau Kafer

Zach Gomulka: "California Look is walking softly and carrying a big fucking stick."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: