The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:21:23 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350686 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  [SHIFTERS] - Which do you use and what do you think of it?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: [SHIFTERS] - Which do you use and what do you think of it?  (Read 27511 times)
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 10:13:48 am »

I have been using a copper Hurst for years, but I’m not that impressed. The construction is to flimsy for hard and fast shifting.  That’s why I now use a Berg shifter, its not a world apart, but its more solid and takes the beating easy.
I have never split my Berg to see the magic, but from the Berg catalogue I see its just a steel ball jammed between two plastic plates/rings, much like the Hurst/Empi. It's not rocket science, so I guess there must be a "copy" out there that is just as sturdy... for those on a budget. Some of the cheep shifters I have seen appears to even have the same base as the Berg?

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2007, 15:33:46 pm »

I have used an EZR for 10 years now, no problems until I came to fit my new gearbox and had lots of difficulties finding gears.  Have put the stock shifter in for now and will run it like this for 12 months or so and then possible either go back to the EMPI or maybe stick a Berg in.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Pekka

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2007, 16:25:17 pm »

I had a vintage 9 1/2" Berg in my '65 Ghia and I loved it! It never even needed any adjustment, just bolt it on and run it. My '59 bug will get another vintage Berg, this time a Ilocker. After running a Berg I'm not going to change to another brand, ever. Form, function, style, quality and reputation in a combination you juts cannot beat. But let me tell you that locker is a bitch to adjust  Angry I never got it to shift right in my Notch. So Berg all the way and they are one item which does not depreciate with age!

I sent the club a wire stating, "Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."

- Groucho Marx
Mito

VW

« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2007, 16:39:23 pm »

60% Berg in my '66 bug, i like this shifter very much. I will buy 60% Berg to my '54 bug when it rolls someday Smiley
JeePee/DVK

« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2007, 23:49:25 pm »

I use a Berg 60% and use is in my streetcar.

And what do you think about this one Jordy??

Type 1 1964 2276cc IDA with Berg-5
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2007, 00:31:00 am »

And what do you think about this one Jordy??

Haha, amazing!!  Cheesy

Glad to see it's at least nice and clean  Tongue

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
alex d

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2007, 12:49:55 pm »

I use a stocker with a quickshift

did I mention I am cheap?  Grin
maX cal-look

« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2007, 13:20:41 pm »

I use Berg 40% in my daily.
And a Flat4 Eliminator repro with Hurst top ...

I will dance nude for a complet Hurst or a DDS shifters !!!
 Grin Wink

Type1/DVK

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2007, 15:23:37 pm »

and wich is 'best'?

bend, 12" 14" straight?

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
Jordy/DVK

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2007, 15:45:36 pm »

Depends on your car. Early cars (i believe) ->55 and 68-> bugs had the shifter location somewhat closer to the driver.
 For those cars you'll need a straight shifter to keep the handle in its original position, for cars with a bend in the shifter you need the one with the bend.

If you have a car from 55 thru 67 you could take a straight shifter to move the handle forward (if you have long arms) or the one with the extra bend if you want it closer to you.
 For early and 68-> bugs you can take the one with the bend to move it closer and the one with the extra bend to move it extra close...

The length of the handle, and % of reduction also depends on what you prefer..
 I believe 12" is the right length to keep it original. (don't know for sure)

Proud member of:
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Ulcera

TheRagtopGarage

« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2007, 22:03:10 pm »

....for me that I'm not so tall the 12" Berg in my '56 is the Top! Wink
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 22:05:49 pm by Ulcera » Logged
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2007, 02:35:58 am »

and it looks the shizzle my nizzle!!  Wink

i love your tachometer, cazzutissimo! how period correct!!

ben fatto, continua così!!!!

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
ugly duckling

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2007, 19:49:38 pm »

ive used berg shifters for 25 years and there a darn good shifter. but i wanted somthing different theys days so i went to the old style hurst its the right hight and it works flawless with very easy ajustment and it just has that vintage race look to it.             SS. Wink

SixTeeSeven

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2007, 02:36:14 am »

I bought a old gear shifter from ebay it was made by Hurst and was called an Indy shifter. I put in in my '72 and it was terrible the gears used the make a crunching nosie. So I sold it on ebay and bought a berg locking shifter which was very expensive but really really good. I am using it in my 1972 beetle but when I sell it Iwill keep the gene berg gear stick and put it in my 1967 I am getting
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2007, 02:53:33 am »

I bought a old gear shifter from ebay it was made by Hurst and was called an Indy shifter. I put in in my '72 and it was terrible the gears used the make a crunching nosie. So I sold it on ebay and bought a berg locking shifter which was very expensive but really really good. I am using it in my 1972 beetle but when I sell it Iwill keep the gene berg gear stick and put it in my 1967 I am getting

The Indy Shifter is not the Hurst shifter to use. You need the one with the round ball and the loop to pull up on the engage reverse. Don't know that they ever had a model name

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
thehanz DVK

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2007, 06:39:18 am »

i was first using the empi trigger shifter and was not happy with it, didn't shift well, now i have berg shifters for both of my cars and this is working fine, on the other hand the CSP shifters looking great also and as far as i heard also work great...

67 bug ragtop 091 berg 5. 2276cc 48 Ida
Stephan32

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2007, 13:31:40 pm »

Hi.

I have used a Berg Shifter  for some years.

I have to say I switched to a CSP 60% shifter, it works a dream.
Would never buy anything else.

Stephan  Cool
Type1/DVK

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2007, 13:52:53 pm »

recently bought a GB6710

The CSP shifter looks to 'modern-clean' imho.. Roll Eyes

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
californiakid

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2007, 23:49:24 pm »

Berg, nothing else for me.

Had a locker for 20 yrs and still like new!!

Built with quality and built to last.

Photography916

WWW.ACDRM.COM
Dokke/DFL

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Stephan 32 : which one do you have ? straight, angled or short angled ?
Eddie DVK

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 18:34:15 pm »

I have a Flat4 Eliminator repro with black ball as a handle....it took me a while to adjust it and I am still not completly happy....
It s not that smooth as I want it to be.....

Kind regards edgar

Regards Edgar

" Type 4, it is a completely different engine. You have to drive one to understand! "
JS

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 18:51:42 pm »

I have a Scat Drag-Fast shifter which is an excellent shifter technically, but i don´t really like the look of it so i´m changing it for a older Berg.

Signature.
AlGhia

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2007, 09:46:30 am »

I have used Bergs on my bug and ghia and love them, I am about to do another and picked up an original Hurst, so will see how it compares (I must admit I do like the look of the Hurst).

Whilst we are on the subject of Shifters, is $500 bucks a good deal on a DDS shifter Cool?  Looks good apart from a small piece of the handle is chipped (where it fits the shaft)!

Al
kkwa

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2007, 03:01:09 am »

i´m using an Berg 40% "fingergrip" model.. Can anybody tell me when they stopped making those? I wonder how old mine is. Still works perfectly..
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2007, 23:49:00 pm »

I have used Bergs on my bug and ghia and love them, I am about to do another and picked up an original Hurst, so will see how it compares (I must admit I do like the look of the Hurst).

Whilst we are on the subject of Shifters, is $500 bucks a good deal on a DDS shifter Cool?  Looks good apart from a small piece of the handle is chipped (where it fits the shaft)!

Al

Your watching that one on ebay to then  Wink it is very very hard to find one that has a perfect handle, I love the look of the DDS shifter  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Frank LUX

Back...Soon...hopefully!!!

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2007, 00:03:13 am »

i´m using an Berg 40% "fingergrip" model.. Can anybody tell me when they stopped making those? I wonder how old mine is. Still works perfectly..

The Finger Grip Handle is Available again for a couple of Years now... Wink

If you have an Original one the fixing screws of the handle should be at 4o' clock position... Wink Wink Wink

Frank

1960 Ragtop, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Joe Hunt Magneto, someday it will be back...
1953 Split Window, 1799cc, 48 IDA's, Don Zig Magneto,  OG BRM's...in da works...
SumFun Racecar, 2332cc, 48 IDA's, Magneto
AlGhia

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2007, 00:09:19 am »

Al

Your watching that one on ebay to then  Wink it is very very hard to find one that has a perfect handle, I love the look of the DDS shifter  Smiley

Yeh, but no good for a 5, unnecessary luxury Cool
kkwa

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2007, 00:39:08 am »

The Finger Grip Handle is Available again for a couple of Years now... Wink

If you have an Original one the fixing screws of the handle should be at 4o' clock position... Wink Wink Wink

Frank

Mine is not a "repoop" shifter.. Ive had it for 10years allready.. Wink It came from a buggy build in the early 80`s.. Heres a picture.. And i need no comments on the shitty black el cheapo floormats..   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 02:50:38 am by kkwa » Logged
3sche

3sche

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2007, 01:01:40 am »

nice floormats  Grin

"NO GUTS - NO GLORY"
kkwa

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2007, 01:22:57 am »

nice floormats  Grin

They are yours.. When are you gonna pick em up? :p
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »