The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:55:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  More Old DKP Papers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: More Old DKP Papers  (Read 10977 times)
Sarge

« on: May 11, 2009, 22:54:09 pm »

Rumaging around in the file cabinet, I came across a few things to share today.  The first is an annoucement of the new DKP digs at the Pick Wick Hotel.  Of interest is how many new applicants are listed....
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 16:12:56 pm by Sarge » Logged

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 22:57:12 pm »

notice reference to the Pick Wick as  "a lounge"?  Cool
johnl

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 23:00:59 pm »

What other lounge had a floor that moved when the lights were turned on???  None I'll bet.  The floor movement was due to the large Cockroach population, but none the less it was our home away from home........... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 23:04:50 pm »

What other lounge had a floor that moved when the lights were turned on???  None I'll bet.  The floor movement was due to the large Cockroach population, but none the less it was our home away from home........... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

at least you guys didn't have to go far for a snack
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 23:07:55 pm »

Here's the first of many crude flyers I penned over the years.... Roll Eyes

DKP III
johnl

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 23:16:20 pm »

at least you guys didn't have to go far for a snack

We only kept smooth peanut butter there as it was easy to make it "crunchy"....... Wink Wink Wink Wink

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 23:36:25 pm »

Welcome to the club...

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 23:51:45 pm »

Anybody up for a cruise to Pershing Square in downtown LA?

DKP III
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 03:47:52 am »

Anybody up for a cruise to Pershing Square in downtown LA?

I'm most always ready for a good cruise... Thanks for posting these Sarge great stuff.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
edcraig

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 05:21:14 am »

Jim...I'm running out of "old" jokes, so I'll just say that it's fun to see this stuff.

..Ed.
Sarge

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 16:23:03 pm »

Thanks, guys!

Here's a club roster from June of 1967... and an even larger list of new applicants Shocked

Also, some old Volkschargers stuff... Cool

DKP III
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 17:32:04 pm »

I'd be careful about letting that Jim Holmes guy in. He's bound to be trouble! Grin

As for women! Whatever next?  Shocked

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
johnl

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 21:18:40 pm »

Jim...I'm running out of "old" jokes, so I'll just say that it's fun to see this stuff.

..Ed.

Hey Ed,

Look in a mirror and you will see an old joke........................ Grin Grin Grin Grin

Just kidding

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 00:18:33 am »

Those are cool, Sarge. I still have all of my D.K.K. phone lists. But have been leery of postin' everyone's addresses and numbers on the 'Net.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
mgmahaffey

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2009, 00:22:19 am »

How about the flyer for the caravan to the Watts Towers in South Central LA? - until the LA cops showed up at Joe's place to tells us it wouldn't be a good idea since the "locals" had rocks ready to throw at us. We canceled the event.
Sarge

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2009, 00:33:51 am »

Those are cool, Sarge. I still have all of my D.K.K. phone lists. But have been leery of postin' everyone's addresses and numbers on the 'Net.

Your addresses and phone numbers probably aren't forty years old...  Wink

How about the flyer for the caravan to the Watts Towers in South Central LA? - until the LA cops showed up at Joe's place to tells us it wouldn't be a good idea since the "locals" had rocks ready to throw at us. We canceled the event.

Watt's Towers, Pershing Square.... WTF were we thinking??? Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2009, 00:50:11 am »

Nope, they're 30.

~Sarge
marc1951

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 04:09:28 am »

OK, I know this thread is about DKP but Sarge posted a couple of Volkscharger flyers. Volkschargers was a social club opened to VW owners.....quite a bit different from DKP, a car enthusiast club. They had scores of members and held their meetings at Meltebeke VW in La Habra, CA. They were one of, if not the oldest VW club with same name , officially starting March 5, 1966 as evidenced by the first page  (i don't want to bore everybody with all 3 pages) of the minutes from the first meeting I present here. The club existed for the better part of a decade and, in my opinion,eventually died because members became enthusiasts and left to join other clubs, like DKP or DRA, etc.
I met Ed Craig in Volkschargers and also my first wife.....ooops. LOL

Marc Buehler
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Sarge

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2009, 13:00:14 pm »

How cool is that! Cool Cool Cool  I see German Motors (downtown La Habra next door to the old post office) listed as a sponsor... those guys installed a double six spring bus clutch in my '56 sedan.  Later, the same day, I got a ticket for squeaking the tires (I failed to notice the cop directly behind me at the traffic light for some reason)..... Sad

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 02:37:05 am »

Sarge, how come you're not on the roster? Did they pull you off when you went to Viet Nam?

I also park at Nick's.
marc1951

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 03:20:44 am »

How cool is that! Cool Cool Cool  I see German Motors (downtown La Habra next door to the old post office) listed as a sponsor... those guys installed a double six spring bus clutch in my '56 sedan.  Later, the same day, I got a ticket for squeaking the tires (I failed to notice the cop directly behind me at the traffic light for some reason)..... Sad

Lothar and the other guy who I can't remember his name, real German mechanics, and then there was Milton Tubbs who worked for them. He owned a uranium mine which he claimed would make him rich some day.
I asked them to install a Zenith 2 barrel on my stock '61 and they tried to talk me out of it. German engineering was superior and we were not to  fool with perfection by installing anything that was not genuine VW factory. A year or so later I stopped by to see them with the same car but now it had a modified 140hp Corvair motor.........they did not approve. LOL

Besides repair, they also were a BMW dealer. I think they had 2 or 3 in stock. They also had an old lady customer who owned a VW and had no business driving. She would call and tell them she was bringing the car in for an oil change and they would stop what they were doing and move the BMWs around back and clear the driveway. Sure enough, a few minutes later, this old lady came hauling in driving a bug at twiice the speed limit with more dents than she had wrinkles, just missing the wall, tires skidding, and finally sliding to a stop. This was normal for her.

Marc
DRA

Sarge

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 03:56:18 am »

Lothar and the other guy who I can't remember his name, real German mechanics, and then there was Milton Tubbs who worked for them. He owned a uranium mine which he claimed would make him rich some day.
I asked them to install a Zenith 2 barrel on my stock '61 and they tried to talk me out of it. German engineering was superior and we were not to  fool with perfection by installing anything that was not genuine VW factory. A year or so later I stopped by to see them with the same car but now it had a modified 140hp Corvair motor.........they did not approve. LOL

Besides repair, they also were a BMW dealer. I think they had 2 or 3 in stock. They also had an old lady customer who owned a VW and had no business driving. She would call and tell them she was bringing the car in for an oil change and they would stop what they were doing and move the BMWs around back and clear the driveway. Sure enough, a few minutes later, this old lady came hauling in driving a bug at twiice the speed limit with more dents than she had wrinkles, just missing the wall, tires skidding, and finally sliding to a stop. This was normal for her.

Marc
DRA

Cool Cool Cool!!!  Wasn't the other guy named Norbert?  Cool stories, Marc!

DKP III
marc1951

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2009, 02:31:37 am »

Yes,Yes....Norbert!....whew, thanks Sarge, now I can sleep tonight.

Marc

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 08:15:53 am »

Nope, they're 30.

Probably still has the number to my Mom's house which hasn't changed since they moved in 1962  Roll Eyes

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 16:19:03 pm »

Probably still has the number to my Mom's house which hasn't changed since they moved in 1962  Roll Eyes

Indeed... mine goes unchanged since 1972.

~Sarge
Jim Ratto

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 22:47:31 pm »

I thought you would post pics of those funny little rolling papers, Sarge.... what are they called....zig zags?
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2009, 15:53:59 pm »

Dam jim, you beat me to it!

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Sarge

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2009, 16:57:45 pm »

hmmmmm.... can't reeememmmber, dude  Cool Grin

DKP III
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: