The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 23:30:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  what happens in Europe if you get caught street racing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: what happens in Europe if you get caught street racing?  (Read 10997 times)
Jim Ratto

« on: May 13, 2009, 17:45:58 pm »

never hear much about the guys from across the pond getting busted for speeding, street racing...etc.

What's the punishment over there? You guys have "traffic school?"
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 17:50:28 pm »

You get the book thrown at you  Sad points on your license fined and the possibility of a custodial sentence at her majesties pleasure  Shocked not cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 17:54:08 pm »

In the UK, basic speeding results in 3 points on your license (12 means a year's suspension) plus a £60 (c $100) fine. 100mph or more generally means a bigger fine plus anything from two to six months suspension. Street racing? Hmm, you would most likely be charged with reckless or, more probably, dangerous driving – that would mean a ban of indeterminate length (down to the judge) and a huge fine OR a prison sentence (the latter primarily if a fatal accident has been caused).

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 17:55:53 pm »

So not good then

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 18:26:13 pm »

In France it depends what speed you were driving and what you were doing when you got caught. They can retire a few points on your license and give you a fine (depends on what you were doing too), you may go to the tribunal and have a driving license suspension if you were really dangerous. Maybe you can have some prison, but only if you get caught again (don't remember the name of it in english).
That's if french police can catch you, because they have crappy cars and minibuses  Cheesy Cheesy.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 18:31:08 pm by Nico86 » Logged

wolfswest

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 19:10:33 pm »

Once got caught in a nightly illegal streetrace with a bunch of cars.  A was a passenger so I got nothing but my friend who drove got a mayor fine + he lost his license for a month... 

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 19:27:49 pm »

luckily, last time the PO-lice showed up during a street race I was involved with, they didn't even realize the VW was racing (and winning)... had run 2 out of three, cops showed up as the "other guy" (1990's 5.0 Mustang) was going against my friend's Rabbit when the cops appeared. I stayed parked, Rabbit took off (got away) and the guy losing the races got busted.

However, an informal battle that played out in Pleasanton a few years earlier wasn't so easy. Was going up Bernal by fairgrounds, guy in a 635CSi got REAL nasty, so it was on. I was getting off freeway, he wanted past me, flew over to next lane, we met at stoplight. Had my girlfriend in the car and I told her she better grab on tight. Light went green and we left the bimmer way back there, but I wasn't letting up. Stupid me.... Bernal is the street the police station was on. As we approached it, full bore, redlined going into 4th, the inevitable happened... red and blue lights, spotlight... crap. I pulled off and cop comes up bewildered and out of breath. Instead of the usual "license and registration" bit they always say, this cop said "what in the HELL are you doing? Why were you racing that guy?"
I said "what guy? I'm not racing"
Cop: "I radared you @ 92 mph a 1/4 mile back and you were accelerating! It's a 45 zone through here!"

my girlfriend began to cry. I thought for sure I was going to jail. It took a while for the cop to write me up and come back to car. When he did, he didn't say much, at first. then he gave me the story about what happens to kids, and having to rinse the asphalt down and scrape bodies up and so on... yeah thanks, can't you see my girlfriend is already freaking out?

In the end, it cost me over $1000 and I had to attend a 2 day "extreme offender" traffic school 'camp'

Not good.
bugnut68

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2009, 19:32:28 pm »

Ok, I'll say it, since no one else has: Street racing's bad, mm'kay?  Grin
Russell

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 23:02:38 pm »

In scotland.... my cars are too fast so not likely to get caught  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 23:08:32 pm »

Is that because the old bill still have horse and cart.  Cheesy

Hahaha your killing me.........
Russell

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 23:16:01 pm »

maybe but at least i can race because my cars actually GO !!!!!!

Best Regards

Russell
Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 23:17:09 pm »

maybe but at least i can race because my cars actually GO !!!!!!

Well let's hope my little car will soon. Grin

Hahaha your killing me.........
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 23:22:56 pm »

If you are caught with a "tuned" moped in Norway you will pay $644...  that aught to say something about the level of the fines on the outskirts of Europe...  Undecided

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 00:19:38 am »

Nico 86 I love the picture you are using for your member profile from my web site ( DKP line up at one of the Bug - In in Orange County on the track after the event ) Keith Goss car and Mike Martinez chop top can be seen ).

Thanks
  Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 02:13:58 am »

If you are caught with a "tuned" moped in Norway you will pay $644...  that aught to say something about the level of the fines on the outskirts of Europe...  Undecided
                                                        So, let's have it , JHU; What happens to you if caught in a full blown street race in Norway?

I also park at Nick's.
Bewitched666

Bewitched

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2009, 07:21:09 am »

Cops in holland never caught me when i used to streetrace but then again streetracing isnt that popular among the vw beetle crowd.
It wasnt even that popular before the firstThe Fast and the Furious movie,after the movie it caught one a bit.

Holland is kinda slow in car trends as this country isnt really car minded,vw dragracing is just getting popular here the last few years.

Street racing here caught one after the Fast and the furious movie but i think the hype slowed down a bit but you still have it here and there. Cool

Fast vw beetle's rule
wolfswest

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2009, 08:11:16 am »

Cops in holland never caught me when i used to streetrace but then again streetracing isnt that popular among the vw beetle crowd.
It wasnt even that popular before the firstThe Fast and the Furious movie,after the movie it caught one a bit.

Holland is kinda slow in car trends as this country isnt really car minded,vw dragracing is just getting popular here the last few years.

Street racing here caught one after the Fast and the furious movie but i think the hype slowed down a bit but you still have it here and there. Cool

That's pretty much the same here in Belgium.  All hell broke loose after the first FATF...  Grin  Illegal streetraces everywhere, many ricers...    I remember the movietheater parkinglot after I saw the movie.  Everybody was doing burn outs, leaving sideways, all bad tempered and ready to race.  Grin

JPS NACIONAL kameraderie - HDB Syndicate.
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2009, 08:25:30 am »

When you are at a streetrace in Holland the police gives you stupidfines. Like not using your blinker, drving with fog lights etc. These are all 60 euro fines but you get them send home and not beeing pulled over for them so it's hard to prove that you did use your blinker. They do it so it's not fun to go anymore. Speeding tickets are really high also a lot of speeding camera's over here (they were invented by a dutch guy). Also they have this new thing like a traffic school. When the cops think you're driving to dangerous you get a fine (at least 300 euros), they take your licence (up to the judg) and send you to traffic school (at least 750 euros).

My nephew is 16 and I tuned his moped for him. He was doing  95 km/u but your allowed to drive 40km/u. He got a fine of 470 euros!! For a 16 year old that's two months working ridicoulous.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 08:35:44 am »

750 Euros for traffic school?! Yikes! How many hours do they make you go to that?

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2009, 13:56:31 pm »

750 Euros for traffic school?! Yikes! How many hours do they make you go to that?

It's very cheap, actually, John. It averages out to one Euro per hour. 750 hours is fully worth it to get caught, yes?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jesse/DVK

'64 2176cc

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 15:09:39 pm »

I believe it takes 3-4 days.

Der Vollgas Kreuzers
JS

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 19:58:42 pm »

So, let's have it , JHU; What happens to you if caught in a full blown street race in Norway?

The words suspension, jail, and a $$$$ digit fine has been mentioned...

Signature.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 20:08:59 pm »

My Advice - DON'T GET CAUGHT  Wink

Sayin that I did have an "officer" threaten to take the manx off me right there and then BUT luckily he got another call  Wink Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Doktor

« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 22:23:01 pm »

Almost exactly the same in Croatia...

About seven years ago I got caught for speeding in populated area (was driving about 95 km/h in a 50 km/h zone)...policeman was laughing all the way...
He let me go without any ticket because I was a student at the time, and because I was driving a beetle. Grin

dr.aircooled
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2009, 01:19:13 am »

Tis a good thing they're easy to out run Cheesy

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2009, 07:11:00 am »

you might turn out to be a tad bit dissapointed.  Grin  the car you show is only for the cop who messed up an arrest, instead of doing the traffic he has to drive a round in the smart, worst punishment ever.

However the good cop might catch you with this -->

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2009, 16:17:40 pm »

Nico 86 I love the picture you are using for your member profile from my web site ( DKP line up at one of the Bug - In in Orange County on the track after the event ) Keith Goss car and Mike Martinez chop top can be seen ).

Thanks
  Frenchy

I didn't know it was one of your pic, that's one of my favorite cal-look photo !

Tis a good thing they're easy to out run Cheesy

Sometimes they patrol with this here :  Grin

And back in the ol'days they had this :

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2009, 19:48:35 pm »

Ohh lord I love me the Alpine!!!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2009, 21:06:52 pm »

back in the 70's &  80's  here in belgium for the highway the police had some porsche 911 E

here's a link  http://www.leblogauto.com/2007/08/les-911-de-la-police.html with other pictures of the car , the last pictures with 997 police car are just a test to see what the car will look , but specifications and current politics  don't allow to find 911 in police services

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
norfolk boy

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 21:13:28 pm »

dont let the fu*kers catch us then  Cool Cool
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: