The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 11, 2024, 23:31:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350825 Posts in 28601 Topics by 6826 Members
Latest Member: Kona@2528
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  Peeps
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Peeps  (Read 12235 times)
Sarge

« on: May 20, 2009, 02:56:12 am »

It's always fun to watch nature unfold.  A few weeks ago, while sitting on the patio, Sharon and I noticed a hummingbird that kept coming around... not really a big deal considering all the flowers in the yard.  Then we noticed that there was a tiny nest made of the softest of building materials perched on the Christmas lights we have strung in the rafters!  It is built on the UL tag that is on every electric cord sold here in the US... amazing (well, to me anyway Roll Eyes).  I got a mirror out and had a look while Mom was out and about and sure enough, two tiny little eggs Shocked.  She has been sitting for about 10 days now.... we'll see what happens next. Smiley

DKP III
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 03:20:58 am »

WOW, that is seriously cool, Sarge. My girlfriend has many different types of bird feeders at her house to attract the different birds in the area. She also throws out bird seed on the ground and varying types, as well. Every time I go to her house, I end up seeing an array of birds that I otherwise probably would not. So, in a way... I can relate. Keep us updated.

I have a turtle (or mourning) dove that's been nesting on top of a beat up early '60s surfboard that hangs in my patio. My girl tells me that once a family nests there, future generations of the same family will continue to nest there, long as it's safe. The doves must feel safe, 'cause I've had 'em there for a couple of years. I have a pic of one from last year. I outta dig that one out.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2009, 04:12:59 am by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:56:14 am »

Pretty cool stuff, Mark!  We have a "seed cake" hung in the Crepe Myrtle out back and it's a hoot to watch all the pushin' and shovin' that goes on.  We have no pets as we both work, so the birds are our escape.  There are loads of common sparrows and finches of varying colors all vying for position.  We have Mourning Doves (they're usually in pairs for some reason  Roll Eyes) that push the little birds around under the cake... Sharon calls them Stupid Birds because you can almost get close enough to touch them.  I think I'm turning into the Bird Man of Chino.... Roll Eyes Grin

DKP III
stealth67vw

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 04:07:49 am »

I gotta BB gun you can borrow Sarge. Shocked Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:13:46 am »

I gotta BB gun you can borrow Sarge. Shocked Grin

Angry Your not a nice man, Master Bates  Wink Grin

DKP III
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:14:02 am »

Sharon calls them Stupid Birds because you can almost get close enough to touch them.

HAHA!! Well, she DOES have a point. They are pretty laid back.

~Sarge
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »

That's pretty cool Sarge. My office over looks a golf course where we have a couple of hawks nesting. About three years ago a hawk and its offspring would come land about five feet outside my window at work and walk around. It was really cool to be able to see them that close. I still see one of them every now and then sitting n the big tree outside my office window.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 12:39:56 pm »

That's pretty cool Sarge. My office over looks a golf course where we have a couple of hawks nesting. About three years ago a hawk and its offspring would come land about five feet outside my window at work and walk around. It was really cool to be able to see them that close. I still see one of them every now and then sitting n the big tree outside my office window.

--louis

Up until we had the White Alders trimmed a couple of years back, there was a large nest up top that was inhabited by a Red Tailed Hawk.  With all the fighting and commotion at the seed cake, the little birds were oblivious to "Big Birdie".... that is until it would swoop down and haul one of them away for it's lunch Shocked Shocked

DKP III
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 17:45:34 pm »

I guess that's one good reason to keep your Christmas lights up year 'round Roll Eyes Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Sarge

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2009, 18:20:44 pm »

Leaving the Christmas lights up year round is a perk of 909'erland.... sort of like the talking bass on the living room wall Wink

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 18:36:51 pm »

'round our place we have big black crows. they remind me of punk kids, even down to the shiny black... like leather jackets. They have the punk teenager attitude too... come and go as they please, makes tons of racket, wreak havoc, and get into scruffs amongst themsleves. Pretty funny when they're acting "tough" ripping open a Del Taco bag or something skating around the street... then here comes an unleashed lab.... crows aren't so tough anymore.
The squirrels are pretty funny to watch around our place too. Seems they can't just exist... everything is cause for a chittering and squeaking fight... too funny. They must be married.
Harry/FDK

Every Rule Was Made To Break, Even Callook...

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 19:15:48 pm »

COOL STORIES !!! I'm checking a Woodpecker nest every time i walk. There 3 or 4 Makita's in there. Mom and Dad are hammering their rear end off.

Done ? Not Yet.
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2009, 03:40:19 am »

Meanwhile....  Out on the patio tonight enjoying a Montecristo and I notice Momma Peeps up on the edge of the nest feeding somebody inside.  Got my mirror when she flew off and sure enough, there's a very tiny baby bird inside along with the other unhatched egg! Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2009, 04:20:25 am »

Cool Sarge enjoy the evening..

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 05:02:17 am »

Cool, Sarge. Here's a shot that I took on May 4th of 2008. Used my 70-300mm lens for surfing. I was on my patio, this afternoon/evening while spraying some car parts. An identical bird is perched in that very nest and it's a little over a year later. Guess my girlfriend's theory is correct.

~Sarge
gibber!

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 15:02:57 pm »

I'm quite fond of my Robin that hangs around our garden....

We were suprised one afternoon to find these eating the scraps from the feeder....

We did have Blue Tits nesting in the garage when we moved in, but I think we scared them away whilst carrying out work on the house. They haven't been back since.

“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

1967 1500 Beetle
1970 Karmann Ghia

SSVWC member
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 19:04:13 pm »

Have had a bit of a Robin breeding frenzy in my garage this spring , I blame the Mrs feeding the varmints  Roll Eyes

Took a snap of this liitle fella busy fledging with the DAS boyz  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
ESH

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 19:38:54 pm »

Cool thread!  Cool
Rennsurfer

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 00:45:13 am »

WOW! That's a very cool picture of the robin sitting on the electrical box, 49-rag.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 03:06:20 am »

I'm quite fond of my Robin that hangs around our garden...

Have had a bit of a Robin breeding frenzy in my garage this spring , I blame the Mrs feeding the varmints  Roll Eyes

Cool pics, guys! Cool Cool  A few years ago, we were out on the patio and it was almost dark when something flew in and landed with a loud thud close by... sounded almost like someone had thrown a football over the fence.  Well, it turned out to be a duck and it spent the night with it's head buried between two large flower pots and the rest of it's body in full view Roll Eyes.  The next morning we looked out just in time to see it fly off; strange!  Here's a pic of the little guy... his beak is getting longer every day and Momma spends less time at the nest it seems.  He's got one hell of an appetite! Smiley

DKP III
ESH

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 00:02:54 am »

A couple of shots, mostly from our last place but a couple from where we are now.  Smiley

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 01:08:40 am »

That little guy is cool  Smiley

I've got a family of foxes (fuchs Wink) that play around in my garden, They make LOADS of noise  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rennsurfer

« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2009, 01:16:13 am »

WOW!!! Mat, that photography is off of the charts! Excellent work and color.

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2009, 03:38:51 am »

Here's a couple of shots my brother-in-law sent over after seeing the hummingbird pics.  He and the wife just got back from vacationing in Vancouver... this eagle wouldn't leave him alone. Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

DKP III
ESH

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 11:41:31 am »

WOW!!! Mat, that photography is off of the charts! Excellent work and color.

There have been a lot of less successful attempts! I have since learnt that the art is getting a really good taxidermist!   Cheesy

I've been after a good shot of a red kite for over three years and we have some Stoats near by which I think are going to be a tough one to get. Funnily enough getting a hummingbird was something I failed at a few times whilst over in California and then there are the bears. What (f******) bears?

... this eagle wouldn't leave him alone ...

Grin
Rennsurfer

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2009, 13:20:52 pm »

Grin

Good stuff, Mat.

Sarge, your eagle pics are killin' me. HAHA!!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 13:51:55 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2009, 13:32:43 pm »

Mat, your pics are the best Cool Cool (meant to say that last night, but I was laughing too hard fooling with those eagle shots my brother in law sent over... what a nut!).

DKP III
ESH

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 15:49:19 pm »

Taking inspiration from Sarge's eagle pictures I finally bagged that red kite shot, they're bigger than I thought! Grin

Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2009, 17:42:01 pm »

Taking inspiration from Sarge's eagle pictures I finally bagged that red kite shot, they're bigger than I thought! Grin

I never realized that the red kites had an outlining of blue around them.  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 17:47:08 pm »

Here a shot of my favorite birds in the wild. I think they're waiting for an audience with Obama.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: