The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 15:08:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6827 Members
Latest Member: bmwjaguare5
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  oil mist in engine bay.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: oil mist in engine bay.  (Read 2679 times)
67worshipper

« on: May 21, 2009, 22:03:12 pm »

if i give my car the beans i.e. flat out along a stretch of road or racing it then i get the dipstick pushing out under pressure and oil mist over the engine.its the same with the oil filter housing as well.i dont run a breather tube or box.ive got a sil modesti filler/breather tower.the breathers from the rocker covers make a big loop over the top of the gearbox and splits off into the breather tower.would the motor benefit from a breather tube? also would another breather tube from the fuel pump block off be a good idea? many thanks

vw hot rod heaven
besserwisser

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 22:53:24 pm »

You probably need to first find out why you have such high crankcase  preasure. Is your case a aftermarket alu case? Test for leakdown. I had a serious problem with my motor when I was sent the wrong ringset for my Wiseco pistons. As you said it pushed up the oilstick and made a mess of the motor compartment. No crankcase breatherhoses is going to solve bad leakdown with worn rings. I have seen lately that Brazilian mag cases dont have a whole next to the oilstick inside the case which will cause the camgear to work like an oilpump building up preasure inside the case.
67worshipper

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:43:28 am »

would a pressure gauge help then? the misting doesnt happen just running normally just when you go flat out.

vw hot rod heaven
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 09:44:41 am »

If the breather hoses are set up wrong you can actually pump air around the engine, and it will look for the path of least resistance - i.e. the dip stick. I used to run a breather from each rocker cover, the fuel pump block off and the generator stand all into various T-pieces into a breather bottle with my little 1600. It was always fine, revved to 6000rpm and no problems. When I built my 2180 I used the same arangement but it would leak from the right hand rocker cover as the pressure pushed the cover away from the head slightly if I revved above 7000rpm. Dad made up a new breather bottle with four seperate inlets and it was fine. I'm thinking that mine didn't leak from the dipstick because the air was getting pumped to one head, whereas yours might be getting pumped into the case. Plus I had a big spring holding the dipstick in place...

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Dez

Grey Anatomy

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »

You might want to speak to Pete (Funkenblitz) as he has a cure for the dipstick oil spraying Smiley

67worshipper

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2009, 15:52:20 pm »

thanks guys.pete is my contact dez but hes overly busy so my little problem can weight Grin

vw hot rod heaven
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 20:34:44 pm »

Sound's like your plumbing Barry , Ive got a number of a good plumber  Grin Wink

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: