The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:59:37 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Oil breathers. Which ones do you use. Pics please.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Oil breathers. Which ones do you use. Pics please.  (Read 19233 times)
Baz54

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2013, 19:50:50 pm »

Hi, I always thought that the breather was to stop or help prevent crankcase compression  and because it's a boxer engine there is a lot more chance of CCC.
As long as there is a large enough out let to relive the pressure that's all that matters,the return to air box or to the top of the carb is purely to stop the emulsion making a mess in your engine bay or over the race track.
The argument seams to be how big the breather should be or the size of container to hold the gunk.
A larger displacement engine would need a larger vent to avoid CCC but the size of the catch tank is up to wether you like to hide it away or have to clean the gunk out of your engine bay when the tank fills up.
I can't see why there is a problem where you vent as long as you do,if you vent from the valve covers,fuel pump hole or anywhere else its all the same.
Cheers Paul
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2013, 09:39:12 am »

Volume of the box does not give you squat if its sealed or have a -8 to "free air"..

BeetleBug and I have and other solution with a 30-35mm hole out of the filler.

i was asking beetle bug what original vw box he was referring to.  any pics of your solution?

Sorry, I took it for granted that everyone knew how the original VW box look like:

Baz54, the breather box is not there to stop or prevent vindage/pressure. It is a puke box. And I do not buy that a boxer engine have more issues compared to other engines. With regards to the size it is common that the rules say that it should have a minimum volume of 1 litre. We are now talking drag racing.

-BB-

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
steve_pugh

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2013, 10:48:53 am »

Volume of the box does not give you squat if its sealed or have a -8 to "free air"..

BeetleBug and I have and other solution with a 30-35mm hole out of the filler.

i was asking beetle bug what original vw box he was referring to.  any pics of your solution?

Sorry, I took it for granted that everyone knew how the original VW box look like:

Baz54, the breather box is not there to stop or prevent vindage/pressure. It is a puke box. And I do not buy that a boxer engine have more issues compared to other engines. With regards to the size it is common that the rules say that it should have a minimum volume of 1 litre. We are now talking drag racing.

-BB-

This was the original premise for my request.  I would just use the stock filler/breather or a small tower breather but the drag racing rules dictate a min puke box of 1litre.  So we have to amend accordingly..
For road use I'd not bother too much.   

Baz54

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2013, 18:59:21 pm »

-BB-
[/quote]

Hi BB. Crank case pressure is what  forces the the puke out into the catch tank ,if you block up the breather the engine wouldn't last long at high revs.
I just presumed that because the pistons are not much higher than the sump it wouldn't take a lot of pressure for the oil to be drawn up into the ports and hydraulic . Obviously you run a dry sump or all your oil would rush to one side on launch and could cause hydraulicing.
A stand up engine would just starve the front cylinders and rise the level in the back but not enough to flow into the liners.
Cheers,Paul.
richie

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2013, 19:21:34 pm »

I need to sort a breather for my engine. 2276.
I like the look of the ones from CB etc that replace the oil filler.
But I'm concerned that some of them are either too small. (Need a min of 1ltr) or too big to clear a cross bar linkage.

I'm also not a huge fan of the breather box bolting to the firewall. It's not often the engine is in and out, but when it is, it's a pain to remove.

I was thinking perhaps a long thin breather bolted to the top of the fanhousing.

Anyway. Be interested in what you have, and where you got it from, and what it looks like. :-)
Need to know what my options are.

Thanks.

Steve

are you talking about a crank case breather/breather box or a catch tank?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Matt H

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2013, 19:41:34 pm »

I ran a stock breather with a the bottom welded up and welded a bung to my stock valve covers took the lines from the valve covers and the stock breather to one of those aluminum breather boxes we all ran mounted on the firewall with some PVC material put in there.. I never had an issue with oil blowing out of this motor and it was ran hard on the street and the track.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2013, 19:57:59 pm »

Look closely at the original oil filler breather box. It uses the generator tower as an inlet = 24mm or close to 1". Outlets are one 10mm going to the original air filter box where there is suction and a 14mm pipe on the bottom side of the box. The total outlets equals 5 AN8 fittings/hoses. Try to find a breather box that matches that. The best breather tower box I have found is the one from CSP.

-BB-

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 20:58:01 pm »

Late model ones have no downpipe and an even larger breather outlet on top.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
steve_pugh

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2013, 23:37:22 pm »

I need to sort a breather for my engine. 2276.
I like the look of the ones from CB etc that replace the oil filler.
But I'm concerned that some of them are either too small. (Need a min of 1ltr) or too big to clear a cross bar linkage.

I'm also not a huge fan of the breather box bolting to the firewall. It's not often the engine is in and out, but when it is, it's a pain to remove.

I was thinking perhaps a long thin breather bolted to the top of the fanhousing.

Anyway. Be interested in what you have, and where you got it from, and what it looks like. :-)
Need to know what my options are.

Thanks.

Steve

are you talking about a crank case breather/breather box or a catch tank?

cheers Richie

Ok not to come across dumb.  But are they not one and the same?  Otherwise why have a 1ltr or 2ltr breather box if the case is breathing fine on half that if not to catch a puke.. 
Used to just run the cheap bugpack box off the heads , filler and base of the alternator stand on the TiV. 

Steve D.

« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:05 am »

a 14mm pipe on the bottom side of the box.

Doesn't this pipe get a road draft nipple with only a tiny slit in it?

Über Alles

5 tracks, 5 days, 1000+ miles.
10.77 avg. on pump fuel.
238I
pupjoint

« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2013, 03:37:53 am »

Look closely at the original oil filler breather box. It uses the generator tower as an inlet = 24mm or close to 1". Outlets are one 10mm going to the original air filter box where there is suction and a 14mm pipe on the bottom side of the box. The total outlets equals 5 AN8 fittings/hoses. Try to find a breather box that matches that. The best breather tower box I have found is the one from CSP.

-BB-
csp is great, only thing is the cap, would prefer that to be a breather cap instead of sealed.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2013, 07:21:45 am »

-BB-
csp is great, only thing is the cap, would prefer that to be a breather cap instead of sealed.

If they only find a working solution for the two screws that connect the box to the tower bracket.

JS

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:18 am »

-BB-

So you need a Berg box, like they have been making for ages?  Cheesy

Signature.
richie

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 18:37:56 pm »

This is why I asked

GSR 1:15 VENT TUBES, BREATHERS
Mandatory as outlined in class requirements, permitted on all cars. Where used, the tubes must terminate into an acceptable, permanent attached catch can with a minimum capacity of 3.8litres [one US gallon]  per engine [except as noted in class requirements]
The catch can must be baffled to keep overflow off the track. A sight glass or tube is recommended to verify the tank is empty prior to a run. Breather vent tubes must be mechanically secured[tie wraps prohibited] to the fittings and locked at both ends

I don't see anything else about 1 litre catch can or anything relating to breather boxes in the current rules, unless its a VWDRC special rule? there is a part about coolant overflow catch cans for watercooled cars but they only need to be 1/2 litre so it seems you can make a breather box any way you like, but if it doubles as a catch can it needs to be BIG, where did you get the info you need a 1 litre catch can from?

cheers Richie

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2013, 01:53:23 am »

Well, here is my Berg/FastFab dual set-up. It works for me...

VW Classic 2012

« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2013, 22:11:26 pm »

I'm an oldschool kinda guy !
 Grin
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2013, 01:22:43 am »

sorry, pic won't work Huh
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 01:25:58 am by Chuck Fryer » Logged
Erlend / bug66
Global Moderator

SCC Event

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2016, 08:23:09 am »