The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:07:38 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Slip joint leaking on merged header driving me nuts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Slip joint leaking on merged header driving me nuts  (Read 3326 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: September 20, 2012, 06:42:54 am »

I have a Berg 933S 1 5/8" merged header.  I cannot get the two slip joints that are at the rear of the car between the number two and four cylinders to keep from leaking a small amount of air.  I have tried sealing the slip joints with high temp copper exhaust sealant/muffler cement/some muffler bandage and all help for a short time then it leaks again.  I am to the point where I am considering pulling the exhaust tomorrow and then cutting two slits in the female pipe and then use a t bolt clamp with RTV.  If I had a welder I would just grind the ceramic coating then tack it and pull off the header and fully weld those two slip joints.  Is there anything else you would suggest (I have access to a pipe expander that I may try as well).  Thanks
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 08:36:10 am »

I would make a cone in some hard wood and expand the male pipe... but make sure you can get it out again.
Saves the ceramic coat.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Dyno-Don

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 17:17:09 pm »

Since I design and build headers for a living, this is right up my alley. I would take the offending header tube and expand it ever so slightly on an expander. It shouldn't crack the ceramic, I've done it before many times. You don't really wan't to use a cone and that would flare the end, you need to have a tighter fit than just a flared end.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 06:21:37 am »

Talk to Sean and have Sean get me to send him some Saab clamps. Take care buddy Cool
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:50:35 am »

The cone I have been using to get german pickup tubes to fit mexican cases is shaped like a finger... works great, but you have to lube and have a good way to get it out again. I can see that the word cone might mislead someone.

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 13:02:10 pm »

It is an old school Berg header like the one in this photo so you cannot even remove the #4 cylinder pipe since it hits one of the bends (in fact it will barely move in and out a few millimeters so I cannot even get sealant in there-maybe I will have to weld it or do flanges or get out the dremel and cut slits and try a clamp)...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1360386

Thanks Jim I will give Sean at the Buggy House a call.

glenn

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 13:49:38 pm »

I applied some orange RTV and used a block of wood and a dead blow hammer to get mine together.... no leaks.

Glenn
74 Beetle Specs | 74 Beetle Restoration | 2180cc Engine
"You may not get what you pay for, but you always pay for what you get"

Restored Bosch Cast Iron Distributors

www.DasVolks.com
Long Island's Aircooled Club
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 15:14:16 pm »

That must be a new style header.  Their older style headers (that can be seen on that for sale link) you cannot remove the #4 exhaust pipe to put any sealant on the slip joint.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: