The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 15:08:54 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Where did the Rossi come from??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Where did the Rossi come from??  (Read 16182 times)
hotrodsurplus

It's not how fast you go; it's how you go fast.

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 09:31:44 am »

I believe that the headlight bucket on an original US Code '67 fender is set lower than a '68 on fender.

That could well be and i'd like to know. I didn't realize that the area behind the headlights on conduit fenders was more pronounced until someone pointed it out. It would seem odd for Volkswagen to redesign the entire fender especially since there was no mandate in the '68 FMVSS for headlight height but I wouldn't put it past 'em.

I enjoyed reading your answer. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Thanks and it's my pleasure. I like getting things as straight as possible.

Chris Shelton. Professional liar.
johnl

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2012, 16:09:34 pm »

Yeah, methinks there was quite a bit of plagiarism going on. The Bugpack is also a dead-nuts copy of the Deano/Race Trim. The Bugpack linkage isn't a copy of Deano's, though; it's BETTER! You can tell that Bugpack used Deano's linkage base for a mold master, tho.

I'd like to see some of those old entries. I love discovering things that we take as 'modern' are really quite old. For example, Tom Lieb has an ad for flanged Scat cranks in the September/October '73 issue. I would've sworn those came later. History is neat.

One day I visited Rick Sadler at Bugpack and he showed me a container full of original molds from ARPM (DDS) that they now own.  So I'd say that is why the Bugpack Manifold is the same as DDS and RaceTrim examples.

Today I brought in the Auto Haus Catalog to work with me and will start to compile a file of items, pricing and dates to share.  Some of the pages I may post as they are really good history.  Chris, like you I love history and really enjoy the hunt of discovering things.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
andy198712

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 23:01:44 pm »

i had some rubbish plastic rossi's on my bug, then some metal ones came up local and cheap so got those one now.

the plastic ones i have arent labeled as Rossi where as the real metal ones are.... i'll look at the plastic ones and note down the brand.
andy198712

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2012, 09:33:24 am »

did my rossi's black, but tbh there not really in keeping with my car and will probably go back to stock
marc1951

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2012, 17:46:53 pm »

To stir the pot further I'll offer this.  Some say these lights were not available until 1981 or 82.  My remembrance is much earlier and I stated back in the early '70's.  I posed the question to Ed Craig as we were both there back in the '70's to see what he remembered. 

My final day at Auto Haus was March 31, 1981 so I couldn't have sold them in the time frame that some suggest.  Below is Ed's rely to me regarding the question.

Ed,

Don't know if you've been following the Rossi discussion on the Forum but I remember selling these at AH back in the '70's.  My last day at AH was March 31, 1981 and we had them long before that as per my memory.

What do you remember?

Hi John,

Yep.  We called them "tremendos" as a similar word in Spanish was on the box.  I don't remember the actual year we stated selling them but around mid 70's.
' 74-75 maybe?
Ed

I agree!
I installed a pair on a customer's car in the late seventies.

Marc

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Stefan Rossi

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2012, 19:14:57 pm »

my dad invented them  Tongue

Aircooled Engineering. Birmingham, England

www.ace-vw.com

Check us out on FB, www.facebook.com/aircooledengineering

www.dtavw.com

'67 vert
'67 Chevelle PT106mm turbo