The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 15:23:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures  (Read 40306 times)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 17:57:00 pm »

Grin Grin Grin
 no , but i remember seeing this picture on the net , and they don't said any thing about ocir bu another dragstrip but wich  one Huh

aand if you look the rear scenery don't look ocir , the panel behind wasn't the same

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 18:06:41 pm »

I was curious because I don't see anything that makes me say yes it is or no it isn't OCIR

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2009, 18:18:46 pm »

Wait... which picture are we talking about? I'm talking about the one with the Lighting Bug rail in it.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2009, 18:28:53 pm »

I was curious because I don't see anything that makes me say yes it is or no it isn't OCIR
no i 'm talking about this one rick  Grin Grin.......... Wink

Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2009, 18:40:22 pm »

Ahh that makes sense

rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2009, 18:41:20 pm »

The picture of the Lightning Bug rail I took the same day I shot the one with the STUTT BEE next to it in the pits.  THis is hillarious. I was there fella's.  You weren't. Who is a better judge of where the picture was taken?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2009, 18:43:49 pm »

Ok...sorry for the response.  I just see a lot of guys on these forums who have actually used pictures I took and put their logos on them.  Very irritating.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2009, 19:11:13 pm »

That blows Rick. Sorry ppl are pirating your work.

rick m

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 20:08:44 pm »

I don't mind sharing old photos but when guys pull them off the internet and put their url or business name on them...that is weak. It doesn't really matter that much as long as people don't start selling the material.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
rick m

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 20:10:46 pm »

I have a shot of Lil Red somewhere before the chopped version. This is a shot I took on an early morning, overcast day (like most OCIR mornings) with the chopped version of Lil Red waiting first in the staging lanes at OCIR.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
deanosvws

OFF 24

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 22:30:21 pm »

lil red is a favorite of mine, all the the photos are wicked keep em coming.

OUTLAW FLAT FOUR
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2009, 05:47:04 am »

'Tis a sad part of the Internet... people poaching pictures and putting THEIR names on 'em. I see it also in the skateboarding and surfing industries, too. Most of the time, people will call or e-mail me, asking permission to use my old or new images on their site(s). Long as they give me the photo credit, I'm okay with it and respect the fact that they put forth the effort to see if it's okay. That's the way it should be.

Sorry to rant... but you're right about it being weak. That's putting it rather mildly, too.

Carry on.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2009, 07:56:14 am »

DON"T get me started on that subject!... Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
rick m

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2009, 08:19:07 am »

Keith,

I bet you could recall a few poached pictures during your time as a writer/photographer/editor.  It really burns me when people do it. Like another post said, at least they could give credit for it instead of take credit for it.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #44 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:06 am »

The worst is having complete features scanned and posted, or web pages repeated in somebody else's site without credit. I even came across a South American magazine which had scanned whole features of mine from UK magazines and reprinted them in their magazine without credit! Roll Eyes Most recent is a PR agency using photos scanned from one of my books where the original publisher had paid thousands to have studio photos taken. The agency had flopped the photos or changed the colour of the car in Photoshop in an effort to hide their origins, but it didn't work. Basically I just give up... Sad

I rarely have problem as long as people ask first and a credit is given. It's common courtesy. Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
nicolas

« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2009, 11:08:26 am »

Ok...sorry for the response.  I just see a lot of guys on these forums who have actually used pictures I took and put their logos on them.  Very irritating.

Rick M
'Tis a sad part of the Internet... people poaching pictures and putting THEIR names on 'em. I see it also in the skateboarding and surfing industries, too. Most of the time, people will call or e-mail me, asking permission to use my old or new images on their site(s). Long as they give me the photo credit, I'm okay with it and respect the fact that they put forth the effort to see if it's okay. That's the way it should be.

Sorry to rant... but you're right about it being weak. That's putting it rather mildly, too.

Carry on.

DON"T get me started on that subject!... Roll Eyes

you guys are absolutely right.

rick m

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2009, 00:16:25 am »

Did someone on the forum do this?

RM

Rick Mortensen
Jim LoGudice

« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2009, 00:40:50 am »

Here are a couple more you will all recognize.  It is the dualing FIATS.  In the picture are three guys in yellow shirts.  The first one on the left is none other than a young Lloyd Moshier.  Rich Stanchfield, another early VW racer, is up in the far left corner. 

The second shot is one of the old LITTLE GIANT KILLER fiat and the TUFF-E-NUFF chop top sedan.

Rick Mortensen

Hey Rick,
See if you can bring back my memory, (the 60's-70's were nervous) I had a friend that had a shop in Long Beach, CA called Flemings VW repair and his name was Richard Bays.  He had a bahama yellow fiat 600 with a 912 porsche motor that was running low 14's and a street car. On friday nights we would drive that car to Lions Drag Strip and what a blast.  Later, that car was runnnig low 12's and no longer a street car, (he had a stack of fiat 600 transmissions on the side of the shop).  The point is, the car was called the "Little Giant Killer" and he ended up selling the car and the new owner built a whole new chassis, chopped it and so on and I think this is it.  Could I be right?

regards,
Jim

Newport Beach Volkswagen Association-NBVA
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2009, 02:32:35 am »

Hey Jim,

A little side note... I met Richard Bays in 1984 as his Snap-on Tools dealer. Rich is a cool guy... super smart too. Aanybody know where he is?
I believe he was in the NVRA back in the day... Rich could tell some stories for sure.
Rich also partnered with Mert Littlefield, they campaigned the Littlefield-Bays Funny cars.

~Dave
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2009, 06:31:54 am »

As a side note, i put my name across them to stop copying not to pretend i took them, especially all the IP3 pics i have.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
rick m

« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2009, 06:43:54 am »

Jim,

Lloyd Moshier could probably fill in all the blanks about the Rich  Bays car. Lloyd is the one that campaigned the chopped "Little Giant Killer" fiat and later build a dragster that used the name too. I have a lot of great shots of both cars. Lloyd still runs a shop over in Upland, California.  The Fiat bodied car ended up in Europe. I'm not sure who ended up with it.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Georg/DFL

« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2009, 11:05:03 am »

heres a few I have

Shubee, there are some you have? What? Taken back then? Or taken from this forum?
At least the two pictures of the Andersonbros car and Tarbabe are from my archives and were taken by a friend of mine back then. I showed them in the Gasser thread. So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...

Besides that: Thanks you for sharing your old photos with us, Rick!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 11:06:59 am by Georg/DFL » Logged

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
ESH

« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2009, 11:18:15 am »

I have a shot of Lil Red somewhere before the chopped version. This is a shot I took on an early morning, overcast day (like most OCIR mornings) with the chopped version of Lil Red waiting first in the staging lanes at OCIR.

Rick M

Thanks for that, great looking car. If you find that other shot it'd be cool to see it too. Much appreciated.  Smiley
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2009, 13:09:42 pm »

The Fiat bodied car ended up in Europe. I'm not sure who ended up with it.

she's in belgium now in process to be rebuild , the new owner is on the lounge too  Wink

here's some picture i took some year ago at the DAS DRAG DAY3

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2009, 13:11:16 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2009, 13:11:52 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2009, 13:19:27 pm »

Here are a couple more you will all recognize.  It is the dualing FIATS.  In the picture are three guys in yellow shirts.  The first one on the left is none other than a young Lloyd Moshier.  Rich Stanchfield, another early VW racer, is up in the far left corner. 

The second shot is one of the old LITTLE GIANT KILLER fiat and the TUFF-E-NUFF chop top sedan.

Rick Mortensen

Hey Rick,
See if you can bring back my memory, (the 60's-70's were nervous) I had a friend that had a shop in Long Beach, CA called Flemings VW repair and his name was Richard Bays.  He had a bahama yellow fiat 600 with a 912 porsche motor that was running low 14's and a street car. On friday nights we would drive that car to Lions Drag Strip and what a blast.  Later, that car was runnnig low 12's and no longer a street car, (he had a stack of fiat 600 transmissions on the side of the shop).  The point is, the car was called the "Little Giant Killer" and he ended up selling the car and the new owner built a whole new chassis, chopped it and so on and I think this is it.  Could I be right?

regards,
Jim
Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2009, 13:22:52 pm »

jim here's some old pictures of rich bays fiat , i remember a guys named geezer on the samba who post them  Shocked Shocked

rgd
 fabs
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 13:29:25 pm by speedwell » Logged

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2009, 14:16:41 pm »

heres a few I have

Shubee, there are some you have? What? Taken back then? Or taken from this forum?
At least the two pictures of the Andersonbros car and Tarbabe are from my archives and were taken by a friend of mine back then. I showed them in the Gasser thread. So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...

Besides that: Thanks you for sharing your old photos with us, Rick!
?So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...  The Thread is Early Bug In Pictures Why dose it Matter who Took Them?? I save any photos that I remember from My Glory Days at Bug In if you or someone else has a Picture I dont Have that I Want I save to my Photos Sorry if that  Bakes Your Potato Grin Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
rick m

« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2009, 15:02:58 pm »

As for my pictures, I have them on ECKTACHROME Slides and also on 35mm pix I actually took.  I could careless what the copy cats on the forums think.  I share them to show some of the things I enjoyed from attending early events.  I also have 21 years worth of the Phoenix Bug-O-Rama...which I started 3 months after the last BUG-IN at OCIR (Actually called in the Arizona Bug-Run in 1984) painstakingly promoted and kept going for years.  I am probably entitle to share them too.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: