The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:31:04 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures  (Read 40242 times)
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2009, 20:33:20 pm »

Remember this guy?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Gary Justus

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2009, 23:04:53 pm »

I do!....Always a great run....
Say Rick, since you've mentioned Bug-O.....Do you still the the pics of the "Precision Bug Builders" car from around '84? You had a great wheelie shot at Firebird. My cousin and friends from Precision Bug Builders collaberated on that car. A few stories there.
Gary
rick m

« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2009, 07:53:32 am »

Gary,

Give me some time and I will find it for you.  I remember the red car with the stretched front end. Didn't it have moon discs on it at one time?

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Georg/DFL

« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2009, 09:58:02 am »

heres a few I have

Shubee, there are some you have? What? Taken back then? Or taken from this forum?
At least the two pictures of the Andersonbros car and Tarbabe are from my archives and were taken by a friend of mine back then. I showed them in the Gasser thread. So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...

Besides that: Thanks you for sharing your old photos with us, Rick!
?So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...  The Thread is Early Bug In Pictures Why dose it Matter who Took Them?? I save any photos that I remember from My Glory Days at Bug In if you or someone else has a Picture I dont Have that I Want I save to my Photos Sorry if that  Bakes Your Potato Grin Grin Grin

Lame excuse. It's so easy to write a side note like "Various pictures I found on the internet", otherwise you do pretend that there were taken by you. It's just a matter of behavior...

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
SplitMan
SCC Crew

« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2009, 10:58:52 am »

heres a few I have

Shubee, there are some you have? What? Taken back then? Or taken from this forum?
At least the two pictures of the Andersonbros car and Tarbabe are from my archives and were taken by a friend of mine back then. I showed them in the Gasser thread. So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...

Besides that: Thanks you for sharing your old photos with us, Rick!
?So why are you pretending you took them? Why show them again? Who knows to whom the other pictures belong...  The Thread is Early Bug In Pictures Why dose it Matter who Took Them?? I save any photos that I remember from My Glory Days at Bug In if you or someone else has a Picture I dont Have that I Want I save to my Photos Sorry if that  Bakes Your Potato Grin Grin Grin

Lame excuse. It's so easy to write a side note like "Various pictures I found on the internet", otherwise you do pretend that there were taken by you. It's just a matter of behavior...

Georg: What is your email? Drop me a line at "oas @ scatec .no" (no spacing) Oystein
rick m

« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2009, 14:37:19 pm »

Wow! This subject is not meant to upset anyone. Not sure I should post any more shots based on the direction this is being taken.

RM

Rick Mortensen
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2009, 14:40:42 pm »

Say Rick, since you've mentioned Bug-O.....Do you still the the pics of the "Precision Bug Builders" car from around '84? You had a great wheelie shot at Firebird. My cousin and friends from Precision Bug Builders collaberated on that car. A few stories there.
Gary

gary i found this on my archive  from vw trends  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Gary Justus

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2009, 14:41:51 pm »

Gary,

Give me some time and I will find it for you.  I remember the red car with the stretched front end. Didn't it have moon discs on it at one time?

Rick M
We didn't have the front end extended at that time....It didn't get much more track time (from us) when we did that. It eventually went to Joel Mohr and Clyde Berg drove it with a Kadron powered motor 6 or 7 years ago. I think the guys here would love to see it. Especially the pic you gave me years ago....Thanks!
gary
Gary Justus

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2009, 14:44:36 pm »

Gary

gary i found this on my archive  from vw trends  Wink
That's it! Thanks........what a kick. Note the engine size on the wing. I only drove it twice. David did most of the driving. I think that day we broke the wastegate dump. I ran ALL around the pits trying to get some welding help. The Shultz's (Sum Fun) offered to help out, but the rest of the guys were afraid of anymore damage, so we just watched the rest of the day. If I remember correctly, we qualified for Q-16. Ha!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 14:51:15 pm by garyj » Logged
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2009, 14:47:01 pm »

2 mores

Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2009, 14:55:33 pm »

Remember this guy?

Rick M
Rich Cowles was a DVB member back in 1975 he still has the car today but it has been sitting for years I was talking to Dee Berg about Rich when I was at Bug In 34
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 14:58:06 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
TiDi

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2009, 15:14:21 pm »

LOVE the bones T-shirt  Grin Grin Grin

4 Wheel Ripperz - http://cal-look.tumblr.com/
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2009, 15:54:23 pm »

Wow! This subject is not meant to upset anyone. Not sure I should post any more shots based on the direction this is being taken.

RM

Rick,

Please do not stop posting pictures!

I'm 51 and many of your photos were from my heyday in the VW scene... UNfortunately, I never took photos... I'm still bad about that today but I thank guys like you who have the photos to share for a visual history lesson to the young guys, and a cool stroll down memory lane for the elders.

I look forward to meeting you in person someday.

~Dave
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2009, 16:06:34 pm »

I agree with Dave Rick, this thread is to be viewed in fun and for pure enjoyment. So pleases keep posting what you find along with the memories behind them and all others as well.

Also I dig the Bones shirt in that last shot too.

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Georg/DFL

« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2009, 17:30:53 pm »

RM

Don't worry, Rick, you are not upsetting anyone! Keep 'em coming!  Smiley

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #75 on: June 10, 2009, 01:08:12 am »

Fabian, who shot the picture of the Bug Run at Firebird Raceway?

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
rick m

« Reply #76 on: June 10, 2009, 02:15:28 am »

I've heard this car spoken of on some of the forums.  Does anyone remember this car from the early Bug-Ins?  It was a 12.20 car that looked relatively stock with the exception of the lettering.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
nicolas

« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2009, 06:55:00 am »

oh yeah! that looks so 'period correct'  Grin, that and a screaming hand t-shirt.
rick m

« Reply #78 on: June 10, 2009, 07:35:28 am »

I can't remember what Bug-In this was at but I liked the Orange DKP2 Car with alloys on it.  Was a great looking car. It was parked along the fence north of the bleachers with other DKP cars.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2009, 15:52:15 pm »

Fabian, who shot the picture of the Bug Run at Firebird Raceway?

it's written  photos by S&S   Huh  and another came on other pages SCOTT LILES (associate editor vw trends)

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2009, 15:58:07 pm »

I can't remember what Bug-In this was at but I liked the Orange DKP2 Car with alloys on it.  Was a great looking car. It was parked along the fence north of the bleachers with other DKP cars.

Rick Mortensen
love that car , it was the one on the cover of the hot vws june 77 dkp II  and feb 80 cal look issue , and was at the dkp cruise night before bug in 

« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 16:09:57 pm by speedwell » Logged

horatiocaine

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2009, 16:08:30 pm »

Regarding "BC's Thumper" That car was owned by Bob Rooks, he was at one time the manager of the Van Nuys CA Auto Haus store. He was a member of the California Volksmasters, I remember the car well, I do not know what happened to the car. It started life as John Mader's street car used to be a 2-tome primer car light grey with dark gray fenders, John worked at Van Nuys auto Haus store for years, it was a fast street car he used to park in on the sidewalk outside the store.
rick m

« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2009, 04:35:17 am »

I can't get over going to the early Bug-Ins and seeing literally hundreds of drag cars...many of them street driven.  It was that insanity that started me strong in the hobby. Unfortunately we moved from Riverside in the late 60's to Sacramento.  I had to stay in touch from a distance. We used to leave Saturday night and drive down for the early Bug-Ins. We'd get off the fwy at the Sand Canyon exit and sleep in line, attend the event and drive back home...11-12 hours....then go to work Monday.

It was pure madness...but what we all did in one way or another.  I attended events from event 5 till I left and lived in England from 1974 to 1976.  As soon as I got back, another Cal Looker was built.  Crazy how this stays in your blood.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
maX cal-look

« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2009, 12:23:48 pm »

oh yeah! that looks so 'period correct'  Grin, that and a screaming hand t-shirt.

Back in 1987's , I got the same T-shirt in red color when I'm Skate with my "Powell Ray Underhill" ! but sorry not yet !

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2009, 15:05:33 pm »

Regarding "BC's Thumper" That car was owned by Bob Rooks, he was at one time the manager of the Van Nuys CA Auto Haus store. He was a member of the California Volksmasters, I remember the car well, I do not know what happened to the car. It started life as John Mader's street car used to be a 2-tome primer car light grey with dark gray fenders, John worked at Van Nuys auto Haus store for years, it was a fast street car he used to park in on the sidewalk outside the store.
Wink

rick m

« Reply #85 on: June 12, 2009, 07:45:48 am »

Remember Von Rollins dragster?  I was always amazed at his ingenuity in using reduction gears to reverse the drive on the automatic transmission and mid mount motor. Great dragster for its day. I don't think it ever really reached it's full potential et wise or MPH but it was very cool.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
ESH

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2009, 10:49:03 am »

... Remember Von Rollins dragster?  I was always amazed at his ingenuity in using reduction gears to reverse the drive on the automatic transmission and mid mount motor. Great dragster for its day. I don't think it ever really reached it's full potential et wise or MPH but it was very cool ...

I like the look of the VW dragsters from this era, for dragsters they look pretty cool.  Cool
Cornpanzer

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2009, 12:30:26 pm »

Wow, who bought the red 67 DKP car?  I saw a pic of it  at the Classic (I think) a few years back and wondered where it had gone.
Any more info on that one?

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

Wow, who bought the red 67 DKP car?  I saw a pic of it  at the Classic (I think) a few years back and wondered where it had gone.
this picture dave Huh

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2009, 12:58:17 pm »

Some more info on that car would be cool - Anyone? Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: