The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:13:07 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350680 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6819 Members
Latest Member: Umanisti
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Early Original California BUG-IN Pictures  (Read 40227 times)
Cornpanzer

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2009, 13:02:09 pm »

Yep, thats the pic!  Smiley

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2009, 13:20:40 pm »

According to Roger Grago, it belonged to a Jim Smith(?). The photo in my book on page 62 wrongly accredits it to Jim Logudice, but that has been corrected in the second printing of the book, which is now out in the UK. Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Neil Davies

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2009, 13:57:28 pm »

Wow, who bought the red 67 DKP car?  I saw a pic of it  at the Classic (I think) a few years back and wondered where it had gone.
Any more info on that one?
this picture dave Huh

Didn't the car come up for sale on thesamba at about the same time?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2009, 20:12:08 pm »

This is a shot I took from the bleachers just west of the starting line at OCIR.  It is one of my altime favorites from the early BUG-Ins, in the area of drag bugs. It was the BAE Turbo car of Bob McClure.  This thing was rediculous.

My favorite engine combo he ran was the hilborne injected, blow through turbo motor.  It was a destroked, big bore engine that ran in the 9's.  The car was not light either. It was a mostly steel car with one big driver.  Bob was no little guy.

We used to sit in the small bleachers at the top end of OCIR (Pit Side) and hear him come screaming through the lights. This was a car that really helped start some of the turbo madness...way before its time.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
rick m

« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2009, 00:58:44 am »

Here is another shot of a great Bug-In participant...Steve Tims in the "Mean Ghia". Steve is launging the car.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
bilboa2

« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2009, 07:47:59 am »

the orange 67 with the plaid interior (stiched by his mom)was owned by jimmy harris, one of the first cars with alloys from santa ana.good friend of mike martinez. sold lately to steve, Prounounced " toon-dag". In picture,who's family owns mcfaddendale hardware. Great guy..I don't know how he (jimmy) got the dkp decals as he was not in the cliub as i remember but hung out alot with us..Jimmy had a buggy who got caught racing at"nabisco' after a rally ,ended up giving the cop a ride....another story... bill
Roger Grago

« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2009, 07:51:42 am »

The orange car with alloys belonged to Jim Harris, he also had a Meyers buggy that was wicked fast for the day.  As I recall it ran in the 11's.  
He gave a Buena Park cop a ride in it late one night after everyone left from street racing behind Nabisco.  The cop said he just about had to clean out his pants after the ride.

All the best!

Roger Grago
bilboa2

« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:26 am »

jinx, rog...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2009, 14:07:44 pm »

The orange car with alloys belonged to Jim Harris, he also had a Meyers buggy that was wicked fast for the day.  As I recall it ran in the 11's. 
He gave a Buena Park cop a ride in it late one night after everyone left from street racing behind Nabisco.  The cop said he just about had to clean out his pants after the ride.

All the best!

Roger Grago

One of the best posts on The Lounge, Roger. That's some good stuff right there.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Roger Grago

« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2009, 07:26:22 am »

That's only a small part of the story.

Roger
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #100 on: June 19, 2009, 11:27:48 am »

I do!....Always a great run....
Say Rick, since you've mentioned Bug-O.....Do you still the the pics of the "Precision Bug Builders" car from around '84? You had a great wheelie shot at Firebird. My cousin and friends from Precision Bug Builders collaberated on that car. A few stories there.
Gary

gary i found this on my archive  from vw trends  Wink
gary i found a picture you took of the car  Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Gary Justus

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2009, 16:52:41 pm »

Yup...I took that shot. Still have it my archives somewhere. I think that was '84. We had just put the lettering on before that race. Thanks!
iowa mark

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2009, 13:10:19 pm »

I was curious because I don't see anything that makes me say yes it is or no it isn't OCIR
no i 'm talking about this one rick  Grin Grin.......... Wink

Just for the record, The shot of the Lightning Bug is one of my pictures that was posted on the Cal-look forum years ago. It was taken at Great Lakes dragway, Union Grove, Wisconsin in the early 70's. Several of the pictures Shubee 2 posted were other pictures of mine. I'm just glad they are out there for others to enjoy, instead of stuck in an old photo album in the far ends of Iowa.  (now back to your regularly scheduled program)
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2009, 20:39:03 pm »

thx for the info mark ,if you've more share with us please

thx
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
rick m

« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2009, 15:41:05 pm »

Here is another pair of shots of a great racing team. Bear and his late wife Anne both used to run cars from their shop. Bear drove the modified compact and Anne drove the dragster. Both vehicles were part of the GOLD FEVER racing team from Beaumont, Texas.   

Unfortunately Bear lost his wife some time after this.  He still has a shop today in Hawaii and is still building big horsepower for VW racers there. Bear is truly an innovative and skilled engine and VW race car builder. He used to tease a local friend (when stopping in Phoenix and visiting  the late John Isaacs) about how his little motors could pull the weenie off the big motors John was building.

Bear will always be one of the top VW engine builders and racers in my book.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
O.C.SRFR

« Reply #105 on: June 24, 2009, 22:51:09 pm »

Hey Rick do you have any pictures of Bruce Lowry's white lightning or the Davis brothers red oval?

ThankS for the memories,
Eric H.
rick m

« Reply #106 on: June 27, 2009, 22:36:24 pm »

Eric,

I think I do. I have to dig back through some boxes I recently pulled out of storage and check. I will post them if I come across them.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Ole

« Reply #107 on: June 28, 2009, 09:39:50 am »

Hi Rick,

thank you very much for all these great shots!

Do you have any pictures of my car, the Pink Panther? It showed up at a Bug In only one time, it was Bug In 13 in 1974. The mexican crew air-freighted their Car up from Mexico City. They won K/Gas with a ET of 11.82, runner-up was Lee Leighton.

Saludos,
Ole

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
bullitt

everything as it was at the good old days.

« Reply #108 on: June 28, 2009, 11:09:19 am »

i think that in the first bug in years dune buggy thing was probably at its top, and an important part of of the meeting. i cant find buggy pics at bug in though. i think too that dune buggy history is unbelivably underconsidered these days. i would like to see more period dune buggy pics. i would like to see more dune buggies at european bug in. i will bring mine this year.
rick m

« Reply #109 on: June 28, 2009, 20:40:48 pm »

Ole,

From 1974 to 1976 I was living in England.  I don't have any shots from that period.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Ole

« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2009, 19:39:53 pm »

Too bad...

Anyway, muchas gracias for your pics!

Saludos,
Ole

Ole,

From 1974 to 1976 I was living in England.  I don't have any shots from that period.

Rick M

no cerveza?
no trabajo!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: