The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 16:55:16 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Big night for my car this past weekend....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Big night for my car this past weekend....  (Read 4997 times)
Mike Maize

« on: June 04, 2009, 17:33:26 pm »

Saturday was a very special day around here. My 17-year-old daughter and her boyfriend took my Cal-look convertible to the prom. This all occurred after my 15-year-old son and I spent about 2.5 hours polishing and waxing it that morning, the whole time I got to listen to him describes all of his favorite things about it. This car has been a part of so many important occasions in my life. It has been in at least 4 weddings carrying the bride and groom, (including my own 20 years ago), countless parades, endless car shows (always one of my kids along for the ride), drag racing, cruising with friends, etc... I know it’s not the favorite car in my stable around here, BUT, it is immeasurably special in our family and circle of friends. I may be biased but I also think it was the coolest car in the cruise line up on the way to the promenade! Enjoy the pictures because I definitely, enjoyed the day. Later that evening it was so clean that me my wife and another couple took it out cruising with the top down, my wife and her friend with their hands in the air in the back, winding it out leaving the local drive in restaurant….good times.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 17:36:15 pm by Mike Maize » Logged
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 17:44:07 pm »

Cool pics,Mike – and I love the way your daughter is cleaning the front tyre in the last pic (or is she checking the ride height?).  Smiley

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 17:47:44 pm »

That's really neat Mike... Wish my '67 was together for my wedding. Instead we took my '26 T. A cool car but it doesn't mean as much to me as the '67.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 18:06:16 pm »

Mike,

How is it that you look as young as your daughter??? Huh Huh  The car looks great and your daughter is a beauty..  Keep that shot gun handy..... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 20:31:29 pm »

Do you suppose, after the stories you told me about getting him familiar with driving the car, we have a new aircooled disciple yet?  Or maybe he is still freaked out...

Sarah looks like she already has her seat belt on in the first pic.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Mike Maize

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 20:34:27 pm »

Mike,

How is it that you look as young as your daughter??? Huh Huh  The car looks great and your daughter is a beauty..  Keep that shot gun handy..... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

i don't know John....Cal-look the "new fountain of youth"...LOL   
Mike Maize

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 20:37:22 pm »

Do you suppose, after the stories you told me about getting him familiar with driving the car, we have a new aircooled disciple yet?  Or maybe he is still freaked out...

Sarah looks like she already has her seat belt on in the first pic.
I think he really liked it. Next I am going to take him and his brother to the track with the 67....THEN we'll see.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 20:41:32 pm »

Oh yeah, the orange car.  Tell everybody what your daughter thinks about 2-gear burnouts in the orange car.   Grin

Mike H.

Sven was right.
67worshipper

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 22:00:37 pm »

mike whats the spec on the kab? nice car dude Cool

vw hot rod heaven
Mike Maize

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 23:35:22 pm »

Oh yeah, the orange car.  Tell everybody what your daughter thinks about 2-gear burnouts in the orange car.   Grin
My daughter and I went out for a ride in the orange 67 and stopped at my friend Jarrod's house. He is a "playful" guy so he was yelling at me to do a burnout.....SO I DID. Well it was a "no squeal" one and I was worried that the clutch slipped instead of burning them then all of the sudden the tire smoke rolled forward into the cabin and Sarah got a big smile on her face. Then she said could I do one of those "doughnut" things. I guess I have watched the Quaiffe test vid too many times... Wink
Mike Maize

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 23:48:41 pm »

mike whats the spec on the kab? nice car dude Cool
Its a 69 that I pulled out of a junkyard in 198? and redid it in an 80's all white dechromed theme. Then took it all down again in the 90's and did it the way it is now. It is a great driving comfortable car. It has a 2054 with CB roundport heads with an Berg version of a 110 cam. Stock geared late IRS. I used all of my favorite pieces regardless of year or style and my favorite part is my 356 style deck lid.
ESH

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 00:08:48 am »

The story of that car sounds really cool, I like cars with a personal history and there's nothing better than one that's part of the family.  Cool
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 00:17:23 am »

Man I wish I'd been given a ride like that to take to my prom  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 00:24:58 am »

Heck that car is better looking than the girl I took to prom!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 00:44:04 am »

Same here  Wink Cheesy

You either "Get It" or you don't......
jimi323

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 00:45:53 am »

were you  worried for the car?
or for your daughter?

Grin

however, cool car...and beautiful daughter...compliments!
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2009, 02:06:19 am »

What was his name rick?

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Lemonade
DKK

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 03:01:56 am »

What was his name rick?

LOL!  Cheesy F-ing Danny, you crack me up!

Lems
Mike Maize

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 03:17:19 am »

were you  worried for the car?
or for your daughter?

Grin

however, cool car...and beautiful daughter...compliments!
Thank you for your compliment! And no I was not worried you really couldn't find two better kids. Both honor students in the top 10% of their class. Besides, I did all the work on the car so I can fix anything that would happen anyway... Wink
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 03:25:00 am »

Cool story.  I wanted to do some bonding with my 17 year old son his senior year. I let him drive my TEAL GREEN 67 his whole senior year. I took the 2110cc motor out and 48s and replaced it with a driveable 1776 with dual 36mm dells that year. He took incredible care of the car and never wrecked it. In fact, he told me of a story where the cross bar linkage fell off one night and he is not a car guy.  His buddy who was with him, put the linkage back on and they enjoyed the rest of the night.

I worried about the car but like Mike, I figured it was just a car and I could fix it.  Very cool story Mike.  Glad to see another Dad is feeding a little VW enthusiasm into another generation. Very nice car too.

Rick Mortensen

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Mike Maize

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2009, 03:31:19 am »

My wife's dad let us take his 55 Chevy Bel Air convertible to her Junior Prom. I think there is a picture of us in the garage.
Another great story is HOW I got this car. I always wanted a convertible because I thought it would be so "California" and this one sat in the yard behind the VW repair garage that taught me all about trouble shooting and maintaining my first car (74 standard lowered and dechromed). I would look at it out back every time I went there. Top was down floors gone, seats on the ground, grass up to the dash...I swear! Finally Jim Hack the guy that owned the shop ,said I could take it for free if I promised to never part it out. He ended up dying at the end of that summer, so the car has always had a memory of him in it as well. Same summer once he found out I had done ALL of the welding to make it a car again, he took me to a tree at his house across the street to offer me a set of wheels that were originally on it. He lifted up the bottom branches of a big pine tree and there were four thin lipped Formula Vee wheels green with moss growing on them. Eventually they ended up detailed and on my and on my vert then on my buddies Ghia.and they are still there.....Soo many stories with this car, I could  go on and on. I should post pictures of the build, it was epic, a true labor of love.
rick m

Driving Hot VWs for 44 Years Strong!

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2009, 04:07:13 am »

Mike...you should post some pictures.  Everything that makes us who we are is found in our life stories. I've enjoyed your posts.

Rick M

Rick Mortensen
Driving Hot VWs since 1970
Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 17:37:53 pm »

my year old son has already gotten his hands on my (his now) '67, helping me wash it. Nice story and pics Mike!

Jim
Mike Maize

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 23:34:41 pm »

Thanks guys, I dug some more picture but I have to scan them. Still did not find the ones I want to show. The kids have been a huge part of my car hobby, I never imagined it that way.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: