The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:41:30 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  1/4 mile times
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1/4 mile times  (Read 6749 times)
Dredawg Racing

« on: June 04, 2009, 18:25:02 pm »

My 1969 bug (1914cc) runs consistent 12.70 @ 106mph. How does this compare to other full weight bugs? Any cheap ideas on how to make it faster?
Thanks,
Dre'dawg
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 18:27:25 pm »

I'd say that's fast for a 1915! What's the rest of the specs?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 18:30:01 pm »

Hi and welcome to The Lounge.

If your 1914ccm engine is able to push your 69 bug over the 1/4 in 12.7 sec and on top of this is consistent I would have to say you have come a long way. Please give us a little more info about your car and engine.

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Dredawg Racing

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 22:41:35 pm »

i

If your 1914ccm engine is able to push your 69 bug over the 1/4 in 12.7 sec and on top of this is consistent I would have to say you have come a long way. Please give us a little more info about your car and engine.

Best rgs
BB

Best rgs
BB
I pull my passenger seat out, & my deck lid off no air cleaners. MSD w/2 step, 10.2:1 compression, 48IDA's, manifolds ported by Cub (CB Performance),
Ultra Wedgport heads, FK 89 cam, 1:4 ratio rockers, VP 110 race fuel, redline oil additive & I pull my belt off @ the track, Famoso & Sacramento. I leave@ 6800 Rpm on M&H racemaster tires, 1st gear @ 8000RPM, 2nd, 3rd, & 4th I shift @ 7600 RPM. 411 ring/pinion, Super Diff, close ratio 3rd & 4th 148/114 (Scott Metalcraft Motorsports). I am singed up for Pinks All out in September (Famoso) & would like to get to the lower 12's so I have a slight chance of wining!
The Ideaman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 23:27:08 pm »

Is this the car?  I believe I saw it at the Sebring west show in April.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 00:19:49 am »

If that's the car, get some ERCO's. That should buy you some speed.

stealth67vw

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:21:39 am »

If that is your car, get an alignment. I saw your car at Sac last year when it was still in primer and you had some major alignment issues. It still looked like you had some positive camber issues on the front this year.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Dredawg Racing

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:37:25 am »

Is this the car?  I believe I saw it at the Sebring west show in April.
Yes that is my car
RaceVW01

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 05:23:06 am »

As Zach Stated...
get some ERCO's. That should buy you some speed.
Well, at least lighten the load.

And, how about Lexan windows?  That's worth a few "easy" pounds, not TOO expensive and should help lower your car's center of gravity as well.

sealth67vw, maybe the alignment is the "speed secret"!  Looks out of whack, but... Shocked
stealth67vw

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:41 am »

As Zach Stated...
get some ERCO's. That should buy you some speed.
Well, at least lighten the load.

And, how about Lexan windows?  That's worth a few "easy" pounds, not TOO expensive and should help lower your car's center of gravity as well.

sealth67vw, maybe the alignment is the "speed secret"!  Looks out of whack, but... Shocked
Looks out of whack and I bet it's slowing you down or making the car unstable at speed..

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:15:47 am »

Sounds like a healthy, little engine! But why race fuel with that low compression?

Have you scraped of the original asphalt on the floor/tunnel? 10kg (22lbs) less = 3hp more. And have you dynoed and tuned your engine to make sure it runs as good as absolutely possible?

Alignement is important both for speed and safety!

Good luck!

Best rgs
BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
The Ideaman

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 16:29:45 pm »

The thing i wonder about with Pinks all out and a VW would be the hotlapping.  How do you keep an aircooled engine cool for 3-8 runs?  E85 or methanol?  Ideas?

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 18:29:28 pm »

The thing i wonder about with Pinks all out and a VW would be the hotlapping.  How do you keep an aircooled engine cool for 3-8 runs?  E85 or methanol?  Ideas?

I've seen a guy around at the last few races with a Savannah Beige late model on original EMPI 8's, great looking "old school" car. Runs in the 12's. Anyway, he devised a nifty way of running the fan without using the engine to turn it... A small electric motor mounted off a bracket attached to the generator stand- Uses a vacuum cleaner belt that is easily slipped over the generator pulley and a rechargeable DeWalt battery behind the drivers seat powers the operation. Moves a fair amount of air, and is easily removed for street driving.

richie

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 21:47:34 pm »

I dont think we will have to worry about getting that far,I dont see a vw stick shift being consistent enough to run the same number all day to get selected,but if you did running the belt should suffice unless its a real high compression car then alcohol based fuel would be the way to go.

For me it will be fun and hopefully show what an aircooled VW can do,and the RHD thing should confuse them some as well Grin

Dre dawg,good luck at Pinks all out,we will be there as well,think there are 4 vws going now that i know of Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 22:15:33 pm »

I dont think we will have to worry about getting that far,I dont see a vw stick shift being consistent enough to run the same number all day to get selected..

I've always thought they should give the manual trans guys a break, or maybe their own event! That would be cool, seeing all types of gear bangers running head to head Smiley

The Ideaman

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2009, 22:56:26 pm »

I dont think we will have to worry about getting that far,I dont see a vw stick shift being consistent enough to run the same number all day to get selected,but if you did running the belt should suffice unless its a real high compression car then alcohol based fuel would be the way to go.

For me it will be fun and hopefully show what an aircooled VW can do,and the RHD thing should confuse them some as well Grin

Dre dawg,good luck at Pinks all out,we will be there as well,think there are 4 vws going now that i know of Smiley

cheers richie,uk

A methanol fueled, bus boxed car could probably be fairly consistent.  Mike L, are you up for becoming a TV star? Wink
Sorry for the highjack.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 23:15:28 pm by The Ideaman » Logged

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
SlingShot

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 00:56:59 am »

I've seen a guy around at the last few races with a Savannah Beige late model on original EMPI 8's, great looking "old school" car. Runs in the 12's. Anyway, he devised a nifty way of running the fan without using the engine to turn it... A small electric motor mounted off a bracket attached to the generator stand- Uses a vacuum cleaner belt that is easily slipped over the generator pulley and a rechargeable DeWalt battery behind the drivers seat powers the operation. Moves a fair amount of air, and is easily removed for street driving.

Cool Ass Car!!!

Will Race For Beer !!!
richie

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 01:19:28 am »

cheers richie,uk

A methanol fueled, bus boxed car could probably be fairly consistent.  Mike L, are you up for becoming a TV star? Wink
Sorry for the highjack.

With Mikes driving skills maybe,but at bakersfield earlier in the year the hot lapping was testing Mike and the car to the limits and that wasnt hot lapping like they do on Pinks all out

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
type3guy

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 07:24:57 am »

hi there i am the builder of the car andre's brother. the car has not been lightened up yet. the car is 1675lb and 1905 with driver.
we looked at the thread about weight savings and are going to start the weight loss program. the has been a driver until the ida's went on with no air cleaners. it then became more race. this is also a totally different car the the primer one from last year.
we will check the front end for problems. the race gas is used because it is a litter snapper and can read plugs for tunning being it's ledded gas and not 91 octane.
Dredawg Racing

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 20:35:03 pm »

Pretty sure I wont make it too far, but I still have faith in Vw's & the Vw community. Just the thought of experiencing Pinks All Out gives me chills. Look forward to seeing you all there!

cheers richie,uk
Mike Lawless

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 05:32:46 am »

cheers richie,uk

Sorry for the highjack.

With Mikes driving skills maybe,but at bakersfield earlier in the year the hot lapping was testing Mike and the car to the limits and that wasnt hot lapping like they do on Pinks all out

cheers richie,uk

At the March Meet, we were running the late rounds about 20 minutes apart. Even on methanol, it got pretty warm, but not seriously. I don't have any fan or cooling system whatsoever. I didn't even put a stand-alone fan to it between rounds. Considering I got there with a motor with zero runs on it and maybe 15 minutes of run time, it is not surprising the thing was complaining at the end. I reckon it simply needed a gentler break in period!

That said, I have absolutely no interest in the Pinks thing. Andre will do the VW community proud. He's a good racer, has a great support group and the car runs hard.

Winner, 2009 Bakersfield March Meet
2006 PRA Super Gas Champion
2002-2003 DRKC Champion
http://www.lawlessdesigns.com
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: