The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 28, 2024, 22:45:06 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351082 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Cal Look Clubs and membership expiry ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Cal Look Clubs and membership expiry ???  (Read 6355 times)
Russell

« on: June 04, 2009, 21:31:03 pm »

So ive been thinking if you were a member of a club 20-25 years ago and havent been in the scene for as long is it ok to say Im part of that club now even thought you dont have a car and have recently stumbled accross the www and sites such as this which has allowed you to rekindle old frendships ?

Best Regards

Russell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 21:36:29 pm »

Pulls up chair.

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 21:47:33 pm »

So ive been thinking if you were a member of a club 20-25 years ago and havent been in the scene for as long is it ok to say Im part of that club now even thought you dont have a car and have recently stumbled accross the www and sites such as this which has allowed you to rekindle old frendships ?

Short Answer: SURE!

Long Answer: In DKK we had active members and inactive members. An active member went to all club functions and paid dues and were able to vote on club policies. club business and officers. Once you went inactive you were still welcome at events and still considered a member but didn't have any of the other rights. Since our club has been inactive for several years, I would say that we're all inactive members. The only exception would be if some one was voted out of the club... Then they would no longer be considered a member.

Best Cal Look clubs have always been about the people... the cars are just a conduit.

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
johnl

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 22:04:26 pm »

Even though I've not been active in the VW club world for years until recently I don't feel I left.  I've never consider myself a member of DKP II or DKP III, but still feel I'm part of the original DKP. 

What I've learned since returning to the scene is that the old timers are remember and for the most part respected for what they did back in their day.  I know that when I attend functions today I always feel welcomed and because of that I look forward to these gatherings.

Times have changed, cars have changed and in general the groups have grown up and matured.  In my book this is all good.

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 00:36:06 am »

Great post, Rick. But like we said in our club... "Cool is not for sale." And that is the bottom line.

If people want to burn bridges, then so be it. Long as everyone knows what's taking place.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 00:53:34 am »

Cool has got to be earned!  Cool

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 01:11:25 am »

Cool has got to be earned!  Cool

Ding! Ding! Ding! YEP... you're right on the money with that one, my friend.

~Sarge
jick

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:32:13 am »

"cool is not for sale"  is the greatest phrase ever posted on this forum.

couldn't agree more.

low oval
DKK

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:12 am »

I would like to believe I was cool 30 years ago, maybe even 25.  I'm afraid "cool" has long since passed me by.

"and that's when the cops showed up"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 01:38:22 am »

"cool is not for sale"  is the greatest phrase ever posted on this forum.

couldn't agree more.

Our own McNew gets the full credit for that one. First time he said that at one of our meetings at Larry's Pizza, I almost fell outta my chair from laughing so hard.

~Sarge
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 16:31:48 pm »

Why does Russell write this crap?  Uh...... so you are asking, ... can I attend a college reunion, even if I don't still attend the college?

Are you REALLY asking that question?  Amazing.

To answer your question more succinctly, HELL YES!  We were all part of something very special 25 years ago that has created a sort of bond and a sense of nostalgia in all of us.  And once a club member always a club member.  We had many "members" that never had their cars "voted in".  I had four or five different VW's the entire time I hung out with DKK and only ONE of them was worthy of having stickers in the windows.  I was STILL a member.  The entire time.  And yes I still am.
Always.

Go back to sleep.

Love,

Worm
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 23:37:46 pm by Worm » Logged

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 17:08:36 pm »

LOL Worm Grin  Grin  Get Him Angry Angry 

I was In DVB in 1975 and early 1976 then Started are own Club DSK with a few Ex Members of DVB and we were all Die Hard VW nuts  I dont Concider myself a DVB Member now but I have a Great Respect for the Club  and for Frenchy for trying to get it Going again but My Heart and Soul Lie with DSK we were mostly all Friends to begin with whitch made it even Better we had 31 Original Members we took most repersented club at the First Rally we attended, I have been a Member of DSK since it Started and I will Die A Member I dont know if we will ever resurface as a Big Club Again but there are a Few if us still active and we are all Building Cars Again some of the car's are being brought back to life as they have been in storage over 30 years still with all the original equipment BRM's, Deano,Berg,Empi Ect. Are Dream Is to Have all the DSK cars at the Classic at the same time when there done Cant Say when that will be as we get older things seem to take longer to get done But we are going to show that OLD SCHOOL IS STILL COOL....             

("There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 20:24:37 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Russell

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 23:38:57 pm »

Long Answer: In DKK we had active members and inactive members. An active member went to all club functions and paid dues and were able to vote on club policies. club business and officers. Once you went inactive you were still welcome at events and still considered a member but didn't have any of the other rights. Since our club has been inactive for several years, I would say that we're all inactive members. The only exception would be if some one was voted out of the club... Then they would no longer be considered a member.

Best Cal Look clubs have always been about the people... the cars are just a conduit.

Rick

Great answer and that what i had expected, i agree also like the active and non active members part. great idea.

Why does Russell write this crap?  Uh...... so you are asking, ... can I attend a college reunion, even if I don't still attend the college?

To answer your question more succinctly, HELL YES!  We were all part of something very special 25 years ago that has created a sort of bond and a sense of nostalgia in all of us.  And once a club member always a club member.  We had many "members" that never had their cars "voted in".  I had four or five different VW's the entire time I hung out with DKK and only ONE of them was worthy of having stickers in the windows.  I was STILL a member.  The entire time.  And yes I still am.
Always.

Go back to sleep.

Love,

Worm

Sorry ! Grin

Best Regards

Russell
Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 23:45:47 pm »

Rick

Great answer and that what i had expected, i agree also like the active and non active members part. great idea.

Always.

Go back to sleep.

Love,

Worm

Sorry ! Grin

You're a good man Russell! Grin

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Frenchy Dehoux

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2009, 01:40:54 am »

Thanks Shubee for the nice comments my wife Judy and I we already had two meetings at our home and so far the people that are joining are great and nice to be around with. Last Sunday we went to breakfast and we had 10 cars line up. You are right people is what makes the club and not the cars. I know a lot of club may not agree but these are facts.

Thanks
    Frenchy

Doctor Detail ( Retired )
Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2009, 02:23:51 am »

I'm 28 years and a thousand miles away from DKK.  But I feel like I still belong.

Love the lounge...

Go fast, don't turn
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2009, 04:21:20 am »

Steve, Do you still remember the secret hand shake, Or do we have to jump you in, again

A poor craftsman, Blame's it on poor tools.  GAB-FAB shop # 775 246-3069
Steve DKK
DKK

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2009, 09:04:38 am »

Yea I remember, but this time I'm keeping my pants on...

So are you in Reno now?

Go fast, don't turn
danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2009, 13:54:51 pm »

Steve I will be in nevada till next thursday, Then drive back to hell, I mean OC.

nlvtinman

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2009, 14:47:00 pm »

Shubee, what'dya mean "30 years in storage?"...I've only owned the '67 since 1980. And since this is the 3rd reincarnation, it hasn't always been off the road.  Tongue

But Gary is right, once a member of a club, it becomes a part of who you are.  Impressionable youth we all once were.

As a fellow founding member of the DSK, I won't ever allow those wonderful memories and friends to leave me.
Why, at this  past Bug-In, we re-welcomed one of our other original members. He'd been out of VW's for a long time, but got the "bug" again.
He found a Great! '66. Patina-original ruby red. A different look from the DSK's original requirements of big motors/rare wheels/ no primer, etc.   Doubt we'll ever find the glory of having 31 active members again, but the core of the DSK still exists.

As it does for ALL the VW clubs that once graced the scene.
We may have aged, mellowed, changed our focus- but we are all still addicted to the KDF car. Ain't it Great!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2009, 17:44:35 pm »

Shubee, what'dya mean "30 years in storage?"...I've only owned the '67 since 1980. And since this is the 3rd reincarnation, it hasn't always been off the road.  Tongue

But Gary is right, once a member of a club, it becomes a part of who you are.  Impressionable youth we all once were.

As a fellow founding member of the DSK, I won't ever allow those wonderful memories and friends to leave me.
Why, at this  past Bug-In, we re-welcomed one of our other original members. He'd been out of VW's for a long time, but got the "bug" again.
He found a Great! '66. Patina-original ruby red. A different look from the DSK's original requirements of big motors/rare wheels/ no primer, etc.   Doubt we'll ever find the glory of having 31 active members again, but the core of the DSK still exists.

As it does for ALL the VW clubs that once graced the scene.
We may have aged, mellowed, changed our focus- but we are all still addicted to the KDF car. Ain't it Great!
LOL Steve I was Talking about the Split and the 53 Convertible  LMAO  for what you paid in Storage You could have Owned the  Storage Facilty LMAO and Been Charging rent to Others  Grin Grin Grin

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Speed-Randy

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 04:14:01 am »

Steve, Do you still remember the secret hand shake, Or do we have to jump you in, again
let me see if i remember, up/down,up/down, more lotion, up/down,up/down, then clean up. yeah that was it

danny gabbard

gabfab

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 15:29:54 pm »

Thanks Randy! Now everybody knows.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: