The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 12:27:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  58 Bug project (sort of)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 58 Bug project (sort of)  (Read 26008 times)
Dirty Nige

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2009, 21:31:52 pm »

Gay Cheesy

10.53 @126mph

O/FF 30
Duck

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 15:43:09 pm »

An update after a winter sat in the garage doing sod all.......
Pulled the motor a couple of weekends ago (seems to take alot longer with fuel injection than it did just pulling a pair of carbs off Huh)
Spent the day at Aircooled Performance yesterday stripping the motor, everything came out spot on so the 76mm crank and 85.5 barrels and pistons ive already sold.
Got a few bits on the shopping list for next weekend for volksworld show but planned spec is -

82mm CB balanced crank, 90.5 barrels and pistons, engle 125 cam, 1.25 : 1 rockers and heavily ported street eliminator heads.
It was already a fun car to drive but hoping this should give it a good kick up the arse Grin
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2010, 11:16:04 am »

Looks good Duck!

Duck

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2010, 20:34:05 pm »

Looks good Duck!

Ta, self imposed deadline is to have it on the for start of May (it's being used at my Sisters wedding then hopefully drag day later that month Grin)
You at Volksworld this weekend?
Duck

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2010, 09:41:43 am »

Well, the plans for having it on the road this year went right out of the window as i will be a dad in the next couple of weeks Grin
So, a bit of an update as of yesterday-
Motor spec changed, now going with a FK10 cam and 1.4:1 rockers, case and heads are machined ready and only have a 90.5 barrel and piston kit left on the shopping list.
Recently bought some Lucas 488 indicators so front wings are coming off this week to be welded up, drilled and repainted to suit.
Will be raising the front some more and giving the beam a good going over while im at it.
Cheers
Mark 
Peter

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2010, 18:01:22 pm »

lookin super dude;
way better than in your first pic Smiley
Duck

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2011, 19:12:43 pm »

Time for some progress! After collecting all my motor bits (had a long wait for bearings....) I had a day at Aircooled Performance making the tea while Daz started the build Grin
By the time I left bottom end was together, heads cc'd and compression worked out.
Taking the heads into work for another 30 thou machining out of them then it will be a healthy 10:1.
Also had a day on the car itself the other day removing all the old fuel injection ready for the new VW Speedshop/DTA set up.
More to come next week.
Mark
papapsi

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2011, 22:15:47 pm »

is that all you do with that car. take the engine out and strip it down. needs driving, get on with it.  Grin
Duck

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2011, 00:00:50 am »

is that all you do with that car. take the engine out and strip it down. needs driving, get on with it.  Grin

Yes boss, how's that 60 bug project of yours?  Cheesy
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2011, 08:58:49 am »

Will be good to see it back out Duck.... sounds like it'll be strong too!

bathing ape

« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2011, 00:03:54 am »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Duck

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2011, 16:12:38 pm »

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Cheers Gok Cheesy
Duck

« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2011, 22:27:21 pm »

Motor together and home! Also had a delivery from VW Speedshop today with a crankfired ignition & injection kit so looks like i'll be busy the next few weeks  Tongue
Duck

« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2011, 22:25:50 pm »

Thought i'd better update as it's been a while.......
Running and on the road, having a few problems with cold start but hopefully sorted now.
The brief blast I've had left me very impressed with the new motor, aiming to get some miles on it and out for VW Action.
More pics to follow.
bathing ape

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2011, 08:33:36 am »

aaaaah,good to hear that Cool
jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2011, 09:00:46 am »

Looks great dude!

leec

« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2011, 12:01:31 pm »

Motor looks great. Where is the crank position sensor? Flywheel end?

What cost is the kit with ecu and throttle bodies?

Lee
Duck

« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2011, 20:34:41 pm »

Lee

Cheers, crank sensor is at the pulley end. Could explain but easier reading this [url][http://vwspeedshop.com/em/enginemanagement.html/url

The kit is sold as ignition only however it's also offered with a fuel injection loom for a couple of hundred quid extra and as I already had the CB throttle bodies & all the the other FI hardware on the car it seemed a little daft not to!
Loom also came with alot of extras built in like shift cut, 2 step etc so plenty to play with Smiley
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2011, 21:31:17 pm »

Lee

http://vwspeedshop.com/em/enginemanagement.html

Not working

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Duck

« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2011, 23:03:39 pm »

http://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.php?productid=16756&cat=264&page=1
64 RCR

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:48 am »

Looks awesome Duck,

Cant wait to see the car dude, looks a lot better without the bumpers and with the raised rear.

Catch up soon mate!!  Cheesy

Paul B  Cool
Duck

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 22:03:40 pm »

Much needed update........
So took the bug to VW action 2011 and got couple of runs in, was over fuelling like mad on cold start and while not running bad when warmed up something still wasn't right. Managed a 15.00 1/4 but seemed really flat top end, had used a local dyno prior  that wasn't familiar with Aircooled stuff and after Daz at Aircooled performance did some digging he found cold start had been set at 300% fuel and the timing advance knocked off at 26 degrees..........
The car was also for sale at one point due to a lack of interest and wanting the cash for house stuff, thankfully it didn't sell (although it came very close to being a rennwagens car!) and we managed without selling it. We used it for our wedding last year then ran it about for rest of the summer till the test ran out.
Anyway the interest is back and while I've been playing about with water cooled stuff  lately ive made plans for some stuff over winter and have it back out in the spring. So far the beam is out and being painted (a bit tatty after years of scraping along the road)  Lucas 488's into the wings and raise the front some more, out back some M&H  racemasters, possibly and 1" 3/4 header and a re map with someone that knows thier Aircooled stuff.
Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 00:01:31 am by Duck » Logged
Duck

« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2013, 17:48:25 pm »

It's bloody freezing in the garage so doing nothing in there this weekend,  the beam however is in a mates body shop for a tidy up but needed a little work first. Years of scraping the ground have left the bottom of the shock towers that flat that the beam stands up by it's self Roll Eyes.
And hour spent with the mig had them built back up, bottom adjuster was in a bit of a mess too but straightened out ok and replaced all the grub screws etc, at least now I can wind the front up some more.
cedric

« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2013, 19:03:22 pm »

Nice car! Shocked
Tourist

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2013, 21:35:44 pm »

Looking good Mark, hope all is well Grin

Martin Smiley
58vw

« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:16 am »

great looking car...good luck with the update

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
Duck

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2013, 11:01:26 am »

Still bloody cold out so spent a few hours at Nige's place on the beam. When the car was first put together 9 years ago I had piled on the stone chip then painted with thick horrible coach paint - some sort of protection for when it was scalping along the floor Roll Eyes
All this meant that I spent hours yesterday grinding it all off ready for a new lick of paint.......all that paint seems to have done its job though.
Mark
Duck

« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2013, 11:07:08 am »

Looking good Mark, hope all is well Grin

Martin Smiley

Hello mate, all's well this end just never enough hours in the day. Hoping to make a few shows this year  so maybe catch up with you then.
Mark
Duck

« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2013, 23:01:48 pm »

Should really update ths a little more regularly.......anyway,

A few nights spent in the garage saw everything up front cleaned/painted or replaced, sat about an inch higher than before up front after the adjuster repair so happy with that. Did notice with the wings off the tracking and camber look way out.
Also replaced the pedal box due to wear and removed the breather tube to go with a Berg tower. All the fittings swapped to -8an fittings with 1/2" inside hose.

Had a delivery from Mr Webb Grin

Front wings re fitted temporarily after welding the horn grill holes up in preparation for the Lucas indicators (nearly did this off the car but glad I didn't - took a bit of playing about with position). Took this pic just before the wings came back off and headed in direction of Dirty Nige's for paint and the car went off to Mr Chandlers to get the front and rear suspension set up properly.
A few small jobs when I get the car and wings back and I'll book it in for an mot, in the mean time I'm off to EBI in the morning Grin Grin
dielinde

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 17:30:02 pm »

Hey Duck very nice car  Smiley i love the stance and the stealth look  Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: