The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 14:30:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350681 Posts in 28573 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  empi parts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: empi parts  (Read 6368 times)
beetletom

« on: June 08, 2009, 19:50:33 pm »

are they not as popular now, as they used to be??
as in, harder to sell?
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 19:51:54 pm »

Everything is hard to sell Sad

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 19:56:12 pm »

especially empi radio and tach  Grin Grin Grin

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 20:27:22 pm »

credit crunch, i personally am waiting until EBI is out of the way.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Rocket Ron

It's old school for a reason

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 20:36:34 pm »

dont worry Tom, put them on a high shelf in the garage, its better than 0.5% on your money in the bank

I think you'll find the credit crunch ( read old fashion recession )is really kicking in now and people just have less money to spend at the moment

13.12 @ 101.84

Grooving out on life

You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter
beetletom

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 20:45:34 pm »

yeah i guess so, thanks guys  Cool
not alot of other stuff is selling either...

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 22:11:10 pm »

pricewise some empi parts haven't really increased. Take SimonUK's steering wheel for example:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,9245.0.html

the 'going rate' in 1994 was £350-£375 for one of these wheels. £25 increase isn't much for 15 years Grin

only difference is people were snapping them up at this price at Slough and KK swapmeets Smiley

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
simon uk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 22:32:15 pm »

I definitely think that empi parts have peaked in value, my gt wheel is mentioned, but they have a fairly strong value. I think the trim parts have possibly dropped a bit, and wheels like genuine 5 spokes and raders possibly have dropped in value as well. Maybe it is because of the internet - 10 years ago finding these parts at a swapmeet would be a real treat, but you can get most things nowadays with the click of a mouse, so it takes away the excitement of collecting them. There are also a lot of replica parts being produced, and a lot of people are happy to run them instead of the original parts so the market is flooded. I would always go for the vintage item, but with things like wheels, you can get a modern version for less money, and without 40 years of corrosion or other damage so it is easy to see why people go for them.

Si.
Kobus

See you at the NEXT EUROPEAN BUGIN!!! Summer 2011!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 22:39:33 pm »

I definitely think that empi parts have peaked in value, my gt wheel is mentioned, but they have a fairly strong value. I think the trim parts have possibly dropped a bit, and wheels like genuine 5 spokes and raders possibly have dropped in value as well. Maybe it is because of the internet - 10 years ago finding these parts at a swapmeet would be a real treat, but you can get most things nowadays with the click of a mouse, so it takes away the excitement of collecting them. There are also a lot of replica parts being produced, and a lot of people are happy to run them instead of the original parts so the market is flooded. I would always go for the vintage item, but with things like wheels, you can get a modern version for less money, and without 40 years of corrosion or other damage so it is easy to see why people go for them.

Si.

I agree 100%

Keep the Thru Cal-Look Alive!!!!
bugnut68

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 21:42:48 pm »

Oh, this is about original (i.e. good) Empi parts.  I was going to say, bagging on the turd burglars at Empi/Mr. Bug (aka the China/Taiwan ripoff kings) is always held in high value! Grin
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 22:32:28 pm »

Si.

I agree 100%

I also agree and thats kinda why I started going for Race Trim stuff  Wink

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Sam K

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 01:05:21 am »

It seems like the internet has taken away the thrill of the hunt for rare parts in general, but ont he other hand I've made a lot of extra cash in the last couple years buying and selling parts online.
GASBNR

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 01:22:44 am »

Si.

I agree 100%

I agrea too,
But I found that I have some bit have dropped quite a bit, I could saved a bit on my collection me thinks

on a seperate note I know of a set of NOS EMPI tacho gauge set and sender in the box, the owner has had them for yrs and wants $2000us...........

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
Lee.C

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 01:44:40 am »

"on a seperate note I know of a set of NOS EMPI tacho gauge set and sender in the box, the owner has had them for yrs and wants $2000us..........."

Now thats CHEAP! Shocked

GASBNR

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 04:46:13 am »

"on a seperate note I know of a set of NOS EMPI tacho gauge set and sender in the box, the owner has had them for yrs and wants $2000us..........."

Now thats CHEAP! Shocked

do you think? he's had em for sale for years......

SUPPORTING CAL-LOOK DOWN UNDER
Speed-Randy

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2009, 05:16:59 am »

or maybe its because prices got WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of hand for nos stuff and people dont want to pay that kind of money for something that they dont dare use because then its not nos anymore and not worth near what you paid for it. i dont need a $1500 nos piece to put in storage to impress my friends with

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2009, 05:26:45 am »

Agreed, Randy. I admit that back when I got in D.K.K. it was all about finding old EMPI stuff. But after I saw BRM wheels fetching $1,000... it was the first writing on the wall that meant that it was getting way outta hand. Even back then. At least to me, it was. Now... forget it. I can't believe what people are paying for that stuff. Just doesn't make sense to me. My girlfriend saw an EMPI GT steering wheel at last year's Bug-In in the swap meet area. I said, "Watch this... excuse me, how much for this wheel?" The guy says, "Oh, THAT one is in really nice condition. So it'l $1,500." I carefully put the wheel back down and told him I sold a way nicer one that was in mint condition for $200 in 1985 when I sold my '66. I thought that price was over the top, back then.

By the time I sold my orange car, I swapped out all of the EMPI stuff for factory n.o.s. and used Porsche components. Sold all five of the matching five spokes for $800 in one day in The Recycler. I couldn't believe people actually wanted to pay that.

Fast forward to today; to each their own... but I've been over all of that since 1985. Carry on.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Lee.C

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2009, 09:00:56 am »

I don't care about stuff being NOS - I'll still use it (and I have) Wink

like my race trim  oil  pump AND my empi oil temp gauge Smiley

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2009, 15:48:32 pm »

i agree lee i do the same with my empi parts   ,why put those one in a shelf in the house or garage , they were built to be used and why wouldn't be him she any more today  Roll Eyes

fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Lee.C

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2009, 16:07:11 pm »

i agree lee i do the same with my empi parts   ,why put those one in a shelf in the house or garage , they were built to be used and why wouldn't be him she any more today  Roll Eyes

fabs

I guess its just us wierdo's dude Wink Smiley

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2009, 17:42:37 pm »

fabs

I guess its just us wierdo's dude Wink Smiley
Here, here!! Grin

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2009, 18:14:44 pm »

Over the last 35 years, I've owned enough rare parts to make any collector cry... they are mostly gone now, sold to finance my V-8 years. I never thought I'd have a need for them again... Now, as I build a new car (Project Oval) I've decided to forgo the rare parts simply because I can not justify the prices... I'll have a splash of old for character, but the car will be modern, safe, fast, and Cal-Look.

~Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: