The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:30:33 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Used cam with new lifters experiences?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Used cam with new lifters experiences?  (Read 2277 times)
Brandon Sinclair

« on: June 10, 2009, 04:43:12 am »

I have a used camshaft that I am thinking of installing and running.  Of course the corresponding lifters are nowhere to be found so I will be using new lifters with the used cam.  Is there anything special I should be doing besides the normal dialing in the cam and run time to break in the new lifters and cam?  I have never run a used cam and new lifters.  Thanks
SlingShot

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 05:43:41 am »

Since your cam is used it's already "broken in". I would still use plenty of your favorite break in lube on the lifters.

Will Race For Beer !!!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 20:31:30 pm »

I have a used camshaft that I am thinking of installing and running.  Of course the corresponding lifters are nowhere to be found so I will be using new lifters with the used cam.  Is there anything special I should be doing besides the normal dialing in the cam and run time to break in the new lifters and cam?  I have never run a used cam and new lifters.  Thanks

I wouldn't do that if you want the engine to live.
richie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 21:41:51 pm »

Never had a problem doing it,and I have done this several times,even with k800 springs,if the cam is good then it shouldnt make any difference to it using new lifters

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Brandon Sinclair

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 23:00:10 pm »

Thanks for the info guys. 

I figured what the heck since it is a crap shoot with new parts anyways that I might as begin with a used camshaft this time.  I know what the downside is, but that can also happen with new parts as well.

I will keep you posted on how it works.
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 03:12:26 am »

Brandon,

I've run used cams with new lifters many times over the years... I've even used re-ground lifters and never had a problem -BUT!- I've always been picky about my lifters.
On re-grounds, I INSIST on genuine VW (w/small VW stamp) ground by a quality shop such as DPR. I've never really trusted the "black" lifters... In the old days I liked Scat lifters, but I've been out of the VW/Porsche biz for a decade.

Now, on my project Oval I have a new Web 86C and Scat lifters that I bought about two years ago... hope they work out okay.

~Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: