The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 23:01:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  IRS adjustable spring plates/new rubbers/swayaway torsion bars????????????
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: IRS adjustable spring plates/new rubbers/swayaway torsion bars????????????  (Read 2355 times)
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« on: June 13, 2009, 04:06:45 am »

Hey guys as a dew of you will know I am currently working on this little project for a friend/customer

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,7573.msg143196.html#new

Now the question is - he now want adjustable spring plates and uprated swayaway torsion bars and AVO coil overs (overkill in my opinion but hey he's the customer Roll Eyes)
and with all new rubbers it is REALLY REALLY diffiicult to get everything together - What I mean is fitting new rubbers to the rear of ANY bug is always hassle due to the overall size of the new rubber bush, now couple that with the low quality of repro parts/rubbers AND the greater thickness of the adjustable spring plates (almost 10mm Shocked) AND the new Swayaway torsion bars This now an almost Impossible task  Roll Eyes Smiley

So anyone got any hints and tips for me  Huh Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
richie

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 18:10:35 pm »

adjustable spring plates have different size bushes[urethane] for them,and uprated torsion bars and coil overs is totally pointless,and maybe even dangerous Shocked

Good luck with it,telll Matt Hi Smiley

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Lee.C

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 22:48:26 pm »

adjustable spring plates have different size bushes[urethane] for them,and uprated torsion bars and coil overs is totally pointless,and maybe even dangerous Shocked

cheers richie,uk

hey buddy glad you dropped in - You know what Matt's like  Roll Eyes He's brought LOADS of stuff and hasn't really thought if it all works together - I have been wondering about just how "stiff" this rearend would be  Shocked

Basiclly there is a kinda reason for all these parts - firstly the coil overs came from the original car and as they cost soooo much he really wants to use them  Roll Eyes now the Adjustable spring plates were brought a LONG time ago from Volkszone  Roll Eyes now when I came to fit these to the original IRS torsion bars I soon realised they weren't gonna fit because these spring plates are designed to fit the medium length torsion bars from type3 (I think Undecided) So Matt brought some from Swayaway and  :-\And thats where we are now  Undecided Smiley

I do try to put in my suggestion but he is the "customer" Undecided there has been ALOT of little things along the way with the rest of the chassis work too - Like having to get the CB disc brake spindle machined because when you mounted the calipers they were offset to one side by almost 3mm Shocked Roll Eyes oh yeah there was also the problem of where to fit his MASSIVE external oil cooler - because of the 911 fan conversion there is NO cooler on the block sso it relies on a HUGE external cooler that WAS mounted between the torsion tube and the swing axle NOT ANY MORE with the IRS  Roll Eyes so we've now gone over to twin coolers mounted either side at an angle over the torsion tubes, oh yeah then there is always the VW corrardo seat set up Roll Eyes Smiley

Anyway let me know what you think DUDE  Grin
p.s check your PM Wink

Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:35 am »

cheers richie,uk

Agreed - remember a certain military themed vehicle with the same rear end set up? The only bounce was in the tyre sidewall... Shocked

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
nicolas

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 14:10:37 pm »

15 smilies in one post. that must be a record

only one 'dude', your slacking  there

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Lee.C

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 15:48:50 pm »

15 smilies in one post. that must be a record

only one 'dude', your slacking  there

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You've got waaaaaay to much time on your hands dude  Roll Eyes

Anyway back to the topic Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Kiss

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: