The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 20:44:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6821 Members
Latest Member: LasseA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  Anti-Reversionary Exhaust
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anti-Reversionary Exhaust  (Read 6759 times)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« on: June 17, 2009, 05:35:50 am »

Fabs, (or anyone else for that matter), do you have the August 1979 issue of HotVW's? Page 42-43, if you could scan it please?

I've always been been intriged by Jim Feuling. The man built a W3 Harley motor that was similar to a radial engine, a turbocharged Oldsmobile 4 cylinder making nearly 1200hp, and more importantly for us a 2232cc (92x84) ACVW engine with his own 16 valve cylinder heads, one venturi per valve, and anti-reversionary exhaust. This mill is reported to have produced 470hp on alcohol, naturally aspirated.
But for now I am curious to learn about this anti-reversionary exhaust "technology" in the previously mentioned HotVW's.They take the closest look at this technology that I have ever seen, but it still leaves much to be desired! It works by reducing the amount of exhaust that is pulled back into the combustion chamber during the beginning of the intake cycle during valve overlap. Naturally, the larger the cam, the more benificial it is. Claims were 25% increase in power at 2500rpm and 12.5% at 5500rpm. That's something that I could get on board with! Wink

What do the VW engine experts think about this? Does it work? Or was Feuling a crack pot?!

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:44:53 am »

Some claims there is more to exhaust than just good looks...  Grin
Burns Stainless is a company that should be able to do some calculations for you... Wink

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
Neil Davies

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:19:14 am »

I've seen something similar in an old Hot Rod "All About Engines" magazine I think. Seemed like it could work, but expensive to make. Bigger gains on big diameter headers?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Airspeed

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 21:52:22 pm »

I was/am surprised nobody used that set-up, but I found out it is (or was?) patented by Jim Feuling...
His paper on the anti-reversing primaries is open-source and can be found on the www. I made a print-out some years ago...
Its actually very simple and sort-of easy to construct yourself  Roll Eyes
His heads (HD) had the exhaust port on the bottom of the head, cross-flow design. Can you say 'type 4-style' ?  Grin
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 21:54:18 pm by Airspeed » Logged

"...these cars were preferred by the racers because the strut front suspension results in far superior handling than the regular torsion bar front end..."  - Keith Seume.
10.58 @ 130 mph (2/9/2022 Santa Pod)
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:39:04 am »

I was/am surprised nobody used that set-up, but I found out it is (or was?) patented by Jim Feuling...
His paper on the anti-reversing primaries is open-source and can be found on the www. I made a print-out some years ago...
Its actually very simple and sort-of easy to construct yourself  Roll Eyes

Where is it? I've looked with no luck...

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 11:47:23 am »

http://www.wikipatents.com/5165231.html

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »

here we go  Wink & pm sent

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
cpalma

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 12:49:18 pm »

Was just thinking, will a stepped header not have the same effect as this one has?
Jon
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 13:21:05 pm »

Has anyone seen anything like this in formula one? They are usualy pretty quick on the uptake... it could obviously have something to do with high revs or stuff like that...

RFbuilt

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 13:47:44 pm »

hmm interesting...

if i may share.. based on experiences on a different platform/brand engines , i think the anti-reversion chambers  work well and is/was good for steady state rpm and low rpm engines ?  on planes or boats maybe?    im not sure and certainly dont want to say j.fueling is wrong.. but sum1 could possible research on that?  as im also curious..

cpalma - stepped headers  work nice on engines ive tried (non vw aircooled)  , supposedly it gives abroader torque curve and a fatter powerband  ,      but as we know... alot of things  work and dont work  for aircooled vw.. but works for other motors.. namely inline4's 

very interesting topic i may say... hopefully some of the guru's  can comment or critic the points i mentioned as i wana learn more...

maybe Mr.Ratto has sumthing to share?  yuhooo!   hehe

eugene

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 14:49:44 pm »

Anti reversion works according to Larry Widmer-Endyn.
I’ve discussed the fact many times about exhaust header overlap and I feel that it’s still a necessity, whether your header uses anti-reversion chambers or not. The header primary tube must be larger than the exhaust port exit, period.
from hire:
http://www.theoldone.com/articles/badtothebone/

Check the antireversion chambers on this header..

And i have seen something similar also on an F1 engine- on youtube maybe . I think it was an renault.

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 15:01:07 pm »

I have heard of using mismatched header/exhaust port to stop reversion... but newer seen the "trap" before... can't wait until the big boys show up in this thread  Smiley

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: