The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 02, 2024, 04:05:16 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350869 Posts in 28606 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  The Jägerbug
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: The Jägerbug  (Read 12881 times)
pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« on: June 19, 2009, 08:10:35 am »

Hmm, where to start. There have been a couple of build threads for the car on other forums but I thought I'd start one here to show the continued progress we'll be making with the car. For those of you that have not heard of or seen the car, we basically took this..

In this condition

Had a plan of building something along the lines of

And after a lot of hard work (check out the build pics on www.Jagerbug.com for more details) came up with this

The Jägerbug was built over the winter of 07- 08 by a team of club members from Fl4tlanders VW club based in Lincolnshire England, debuting at Big Bang 08 at Santa Pod. Since then we have made a few minor tweeks to suspension set up etc but until now no extra power. The car has performed faultlessly, with over 130 quarter mile passes in just over a year of racing in RWYB events. It's been a barrel load of fun learning to drive the car quicker and tweaking with the set up and our progress so far has seen our quarter mile times fall from mid 17 second passes to a best of 2008 of 15.19 @ 85 mph. The engine was only a 1914 quite literally made up of spare parts and bargain buys that we could scrape together to get us started.

The plan was to always build a second more powerful engine to swap over and start to experience some much quicker action on the strip. That time has come. We are nearing completion of the 2276 build. the full spec listed below...

Used dual relief crankcase cut for 94mm pistons and barrels,drilled and tapped for full flow oiling.

82mm counterweighted crankshaft

Lightened and 8 dowelled 200mm  type 1 flywheel with 200mm kennedy clutch

Engle FK89 cam

Lightweight cam followers

Chrome moly cut to length push rods

Straight cut cam gears

30mm Schadeck oil pump

Full flow oil pump cover

94mm stroker pistons and barrels

CB 044 Magnum C&C ported heads - cut for 94mm, ccd for 11-1 compression and hand ported

Twin 48ida weber carbs on match ported manifolds

OO9 Distributor with pertronix ignitor and 9mm silicone leads.

The build has been a slow steady careful exercise rather than the 'build it in week' situation we were in with the first engine. The deadline we have for the second engine is a Dyno session down at Raceshack on Thursday 25th June (yes not long!) then onto EBI 3 to hopefully put in a few quick quarter mile passes.

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 08:16:53 am »

I'll not copy all of the engine build stuff across from our forum but if anyone is interested more info can be found on this thread..

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?t=459950

I'll just put a few of the last few updates on then update this thread as reguarly as the others

"Then it was into the garage to drop the engine

Removing the carbs was fiddlier than we though, god knows how we got them in!

But we finally removed them along with the exhaust

With the rear wheels off it was interesting what our recent burnouts had left behind under the arches Cheesy

Whilst we removed the engine and drained the gearbox oil, Alex was flycutting deeper into the case to allow clearance for the extra long stroke of the pistons that we hadn't originally allowed for

More pics when I get back from tonights club meet Smiley

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 08:17:54 am »

Some 13 months after fitting it, the original Jägerbug engine has been removed and retired (for now Wink ) Not bad, 130 runs under it's belt!

With a bit of wiggling out it came

No idea why such a camp pose!

Out comes the gearbox next to swap over axles and tubes etc before the new engine is assembled and fitted. The last time the decklid will look like this as there will need to be a fair bit of cutting to fit the IDA's under the lid!

We're getting there, slowly but surely....

All hands on deck last night. Our deadline is fast approaching! Smiley

Alex had been busy finishing off the new 40mm venturis he'd knocked up from solid billet. They have now gone off along with the carb rebuild kits etc to Mick of Kerbside Autos to be built up, jetted  and tested. Congratulations to Mick whilst I'm at it on the birth of the littl'un Wink

When I say all hands on deck even pughdog snr got his hands dirty (Mum & Dad are over visiting, timed to coincide with a Wednesday night as Dad wanted to help Cheesy )

The old gearbox was removed

leaving a rather grubby empty looking engine bay / underside

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:19:17 am »

The old box was stripped of bits need to transfer over, axle tubes first

the splitty nosecone was swapped over

Axles next

which proved pretty fiddly removing the circlips :rolleyes: :lol:

We had a bit of jiggling to do as the hockey stick didn't move freely

Thats what 130 hard launches does to a pair of race axles :eek: hopefully they'll still be good for another 130 Wink

nosecone in place and all gears selectable (I know it's not painted but who'll ever see it?)

Axles going into the new box

Alex was cleaning out the galleries and fitting plugs

whilst opening up for full flow like on the last engine

Both axles in place

tubes back on and ready to bolt back into the car

needs the clutch arm refitting but other than that pretty much ready to go Smiley

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 08:21:00 am »

I spent a couple of hours cleaning both case halves and ensuring all the new oil galleries were cleaned in the parts washer, cleaned with carb cleaner then blown through with the air line. It's not possible to over clean at this point! :lol:

Alex was cutting the heads to raise the compression ratio to the desired 11:1 a lot of calculating and head scratching resulted in a couple of trial cuts and regular checking of the volume of each chamber

Rich, Rob and GT Rich got on with reconnecting everything around the new gearbox. The springplates needed a bit of persuading like last time!

Our spotlessly clean work surface

Rods being cleaned within an inch of their life

Alex finished the first head and moved onto the second

Cut and finished, 11:1 compression and ready for cleaning!

:eek: A few quids worth of carb cleaner was used!

but the clean parts started to pile up on the clean build bench

both heads had their barrels lapped for a good clean seal, look at the speed of Alex's wrist action! :lol:

Then the small matter of ensuring the pistons were all exactly the same weight

a small amount of metal was cut from the back of each heavy piston, all are now very equal in weight.

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 08:21:57 am »

The PC in the Jägergarage comes in handy now for refencing information but occasionally even Alex resorts to the good old fashioned Haynes manual!

Several cans of carb cleaner later (sorry Al!) the heads were clean enough to be reassembled, obviously the springs, valves etc were all cleaned thoroughly too Cheesy my ocd came in quite useful last night :tick:

a fiddly job where Paul and Rich seemingly couldn't have enough pairs of hands!

This picture may explain where some of the carb cleaner dissappeared to. The wife complimented me on the sweet smell of my breath when I finally crawled into bed around midnight so perhaps I'm onto something there Cheesy

As we left the garage last night there were a large number of anally cleaned parts ready for assembly

Rockers are cleaned and ready to be adjusted once the longblock comes together this morning

Obviously this isn't a for sale thread and I wouldn't dream of advertising any of our latest products that are available to buy from www.jagerbug.com but Paul also dropped in the new tax disc holder design. Did I mention that these are available from our online shop and will help fund the continued improvement of the Jägerbug? Smiley

Lots more updates later today, I'm heading over to the garage this morning and we'll hopefully actually start building something real soon!

We've got until next Thursday when the completed car is booked in with Raceshack to dyno the new set up :eek:

Team Jägerbug ~ cutting it fine since 2008 :lol:

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 08:23:11 am »

We'll be running a deep sump so the oil pick up pipe needs to be longer to get oil from lower down in the sump

A standard oil collecter ws modified

Once welded it was cleaned thoroughly like the rest of the engine parts Wink

Case studs refitted

Crank built back up and rods fitted and tightened

The rest of the case studs in and the bearings lubed and fitted

The crank in place and the lube a lobe lifters fitted

We're getting there slowly....

More progress tomorrow Smiley

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 21:41:06 pm »

Although a huge amount of the Jägerbug parts have been purchased through sponsors (at favourable rates) and using money raised through the sale of merchandise today shows the real story Wink

A £50 top pulley donated to the car by me

It was on my Jeans Beetle engine sat in the garage so it may as well be put to good use!

And Alex forked out £70 on oil, oil and fuel braided hoses along with another £70 for powder coating the tinware! :eek: I know we have a reputation for being freeloaders but believe me, racing testing still costs us money! Unfortunately I failed to get a pic of the lovely new hoses or the tinware so they'll have to be added at a later date, they look awesome Cheesy

Anyway, today saw quite a bit of progress again....

The Shadek 30mm oil pump fits (just) next to the pulley, only thanks to the fact that it's a power pulley mind you :lol:

The FK-89 cam was assembled with loctite but the bolts caught on the back of the oil pump so had to be ground down to allow sufficient clearance from the back of the pump

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 22:06:18 pm »

Although not clearly visable in this pic we had a bit of fun getting the new distributor drive to fit, a combination of the old case being a bit corroded and new parts meant a bit of careful cleaning was needed

The cam lubed up with the special fire up lube provided

The longer oil pick up fitted to the other case half and the lifters fitted

Case sealant on to hold it all together

dirk zeyen

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 22:10:22 pm »

nice job!!!

here is my " jägermeister racing projekt" Grin Grin Grin

dirk zeyen

back again!!!
pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 22:12:56 pm »

Both case halves together, bolted up and torqued

Super thin gasket fitted to the oil pump, there's a bit of clearance, just! Cheesy

PK take note, we got our on without cracking it, no welding needed here :incheek: :lol:

The Claude Buggies deep sump fitted

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 22:13:50 pm »

nice job!!!

here is my " jägermeister racing projekt" Grin Grin Grin

dirk zeyen

Grin Nice!

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 22:18:58 pm »

All the studs back in place

And just at that point the UPS delivery man arrived with our nice shiny new starter motor from SSP. We ordered it yesterday afternoon and it arrived today, how's that for service Wink

In the box was a nice banner VW Heritage and SSP have had made for us to hang in the club gazebo / pits at shows, nice touch Barney Wink

I was particuarly impressed with the artwork Cheesy

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 22:27:45 pm »

Unfortunately the only pic I took of any of the tinware :rolleyes: the rest of it is nice and shiny too, will look awesome against the orange CSP rocker covers Cheesy

A good lube of the barrels and it was on with the pistons, the white bit you can see is a teflon button

I can't remember the exact combination of shims used but the deck height is just right Smiley

And that was how we finished the day, both halves built up and torqued. Next up the push rod tube geometry needs working out and then on with the rockers. It's definately coming together.

I've just come off the phone to Mick @ Kerbside Autos, he says the 48 IDAs are purring like a kitten on his test engine Cheesy Rich is off to collect them tomorrow, then the fun can really begin once we've bolted them babys on!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 22:29:59 pm by pughdog » Logged

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2009, 00:51:53 am »

Trans raise??

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2009, 03:50:28 am »

Trans raise??

Wink yup

Zach Gomulka

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2009, 03:53:17 am »

Nice Smiley Do take detailed photos, please Wink

Nico86

Turnip engine.

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2009, 19:26:44 pm »

Cool car ! Cool

Martin Greaves

10.88@128.58

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 22:10:41 pm »

How much are you doing the trans raise by.

Hahaha your killing me.........
Zach Gomulka

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 05:58:41 am »

The difference in hockey stick location is 2" so that would be my guess...

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 08:45:28 am »

Looking good guys!

j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 18:53:48 pm »

Looks like you have a lot's of fun to work together. Good Spirit!!

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2009, 08:08:46 am »

How much are you doing the trans raise by.

The trans raise was done when the first engine was built and fitted and was if I remember correctly 2" yes

We do have a lot of fun j-f, especially yesterday when we fired up the new engine Wink

Pics and videos to follow......

jamiep_jamiep

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2009, 09:02:13 am »

Nick, when do you leave the country mate?

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2009, 09:36:43 am »

Nick, when do you leave the country mate?

I'm off on the 1st August  Wink

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2009, 09:42:43 am »

Ok folks, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been away in France and the guys have been working flat out to get the engine ready

Not many pics of the engine coming together here i'm afraid as I wasn't there to snap away on my camera but if any more turn up I'll add them later Wink

The pushrods were cut to length and the rockers fitted

Clutch in

Engine ready to bolt in minus the carbs etc

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2009, 09:50:37 am »

The inner wing had to be carefully (grinder!) removed to allow the slightly wider engine to fit

It's a tight squeeze but everything went in but I believe tightening the manifold bolts was rather tricky! Cheesy

Tuesday was a late night in the garage until midnight for the guys, the engine was in and (hopefully) just needed a bit of plumbing and fettling.

If you didn't know it had a new engine in it looks exactly the same apart from the slightly larger hole in the decklid Wink

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2009, 10:10:16 am »

I came back to the UK and arrived at Jägerbug HQ yesterday afternoon with great anticipation of seeing the engine run for the first time. Before we could strike it up there were a few minor jobs to complete first.

The braided fuel lines were fitted. The accelerator cable had to be re-routed to come out of the fan shroud slighty higher to meet the linkage (it was much more difficult than it sounds! :eek: ) Then the nasty job of getting oil into the pump, I say nasty as it ended up with Alex sucking the oil through the pipe resuling in him having an 'oily tasting dinner' Cheesy

With the pump primed, oil pressure light out and everything else in place it was time to turn the key and start it up for the first time....

The video is uploading as I type (still 33 minutes of uploading left to do :rolleyes: ) but I'll post it shortly....

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2009, 10:57:03 am »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vTQbEkrwJQ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/vTQbEkrwJQ0</a>

It threw the fanbelt and despite trying to fit a spacer to the lower pulley the nice shiny black top pulley will have to be replaced with the old one of engine #1

Next stop the airport to collect the slicks when they arrive from the States courtesey of our fantastic new sponsor, Tony @ Emu Express

I'm off to get the exhaust off my van so we can get the bug booked in for it's MOT then we can put a few miles on the engine (and scare the local boy racers) :lol:

Roll on EBI........

pughdog

www.Jagerbug.com

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2009, 16:54:10 pm »

*Update*

Alex and I took it for a spin today on the street :eek:

Oh my word

We bolted up a mondo box off my van and nipped down to the petrol station. Shredded a fan belt so popped back to HQ to fit a smaller one. Pulled like a train from a roundabout before snapping the accelerator cable when (leadfoot) Al floored it coming out of a junction Cheesy

There are definately still a few niggles to iron out before EBI but thank god we've still got a week to fettle. Oil now dropped and tappets etc to be checked. It certainly feels different than with the 1914 engine in :lol:

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: