The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 05:53:27 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  engine won't fit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: engine won't fit  (Read 2761 times)
nicolas

« on: June 23, 2009, 20:35:18 pm »

can't really see what is going on, but the engine won't go into the car. seems it gets stuck on the gearbox with either the flywheel or the centerpin. i will check the clutchdisc tomorrow if that is in the middle, but it must be as it wasn't taken off.

just wanted to ask if it is possible to have a type3 (4.12) gearbox (forgot the code) for a 6V beetle? i am not sure if that existed, as the type3 flywheel i run is 12V 200mm one and maybe that doesn't fit. 

sorry to ask this, but i want to get the engine in asap, and can't cope with the guesswork and trial and error, so all help is apperciated. it probally is something stupid, but i have to ask.

i just swapped gearboxes and had different heads fitted. otherwise nothing changed.
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 21:32:39 pm »

put the car in gear and turn rear wheel, might be the teeth just hitting and not sliding past each other.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Roman

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 21:37:02 pm »

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend with an engine installlation where he had the same problem. It was a the tube for the throw out bearing (late model) that was bent.

A type 3 trans fits in a type one with minor changes:
1: The hole for the shift tube on the hockey stick is down on a type3 and up on a type 1. You can just change them, it is easier than drilling a new hole.
2: There is no holes for the rear tranny mounts. You can easily drill them, it is magnesium.
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 22:33:12 pm »

Get a bigger hammer  Grin Roll Eyes

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
Dougy Dee

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 22:49:13 pm »

The bolt heads or nuts for the trans mounts sometimes are too long and interfere with the ring gear.

An early pressure plate and late model throwout bearing will also cause problems.

Good luck
stealth67vw

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 00:56:57 am »

A couple of weeks ago I helped a friend with an engine installlation where he had the same problem. It was a the tube for the throw out bearing (late model) that was bent.

1: The hole for the shift tube on the hockey stick is down on a type3 and up on a type 1. You can just change them, it is easier than drilling a new hole.
2: There is no holes for the rear tranny mounts. You can easily drill them, it is magnesium.
The type 3 trans I put in my car had aluminum plugs pressed into the mount holes. I'm not sure if all of them came like this but I just pounded them out.

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
nicolas

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 06:45:30 am »

i suspect the tube as well as i can shake the engine arond a bit, but won't slip over.

the hocky stick is changed, i found that out after fitting the trans the first time...  Roll Eyes a lot off ugly words came out off my mouth that day.

just to to make things clear. this is a type1 gearbox in a type3. so the trans has the holes and i have always fitted the nuts from the inside out so interferance would be minimal.

Get a bigger hammer  Grin Roll Eyes

thought about it, but i was thinking off NOT cutting off the whole arm because off a broken fingernail for once  Roll Eyes

i will check the fitment off the pressureplate and throwout bearing again, but it all looked OK.

will keep you updated, thanks allready.

Russell

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 07:59:51 am »

remove the starter and try this as well....  Grin

Best Regards

Russell
nicolas

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:18:05 am »

remove the starter and try this as well....  Grin

it's still in, i will try that as well. thanks

Peter

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2009, 21:21:23 pm »

hello nicolas,
when i installed my type 4 the pressure plate touched a hump inside the bellhousing,
i had to grind a bit there; the trans was a 6v 1200 transmission though,
maybe its different for younger models..?
and the type 4 is another beast also...
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 00:30:18 am »

Have you fitted new gearbox mounts? If you have then the threads are ALWAYS too long and hit the teeth of the flywheel Roll Eyes Smiley Just a thought.

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: