The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 04:35:14 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  DISC BRAKES AND DROPPED SPINDLES #2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DISC BRAKES AND DROPPED SPINDLES #2  (Read 3303 times)
johnl

« on: July 02, 2009, 21:06:36 pm »

Sorry for the previous blunder (post)  Happy fingers!!

I would like input, good or bad regarding; http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1140

My goal is to keep the track in the original position.

What about replacement rotors and pads when the time comes?

Thanks

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 61 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2024

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Bryan67

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 04:41:19 am »

I have the ball joint setup on my 66. It definately widens the track on the ball joint setup so I would say a 2" narrowed beam might be in order. I was told the rotors were standard 944 Porsche so that should`nt be problem. The calipers are Fiat so replacements and pads would most likely have to come from CB but thats no problem. I mean really. You may not ever have to replace either for a looooong time. Bleeding these calipers is kinda tough but not impossible and with a 67 master cylinder the pedal is a bit low and soft but that seems to be the norm for a disc brake conversion.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Chris W

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 05:23:46 am »

I had them on my 65 and liked them, they add track width like Bryan said and are pretty heavy.
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:16 am »

Sorry for the previous blunder (post)  Happy fingers!!

I would like input, good or bad regarding; http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1140

My goal is to keep the track in the original position.

What about replacement rotors and pads when the time comes?

Thanks

Hi John the Bad Part about that kit is the Calipers mount in front of the Spindle and the Brake hose Set Up is kind of Crappy Plus it kicks the wheel out about 3/4 to 1 inch per side you wood need a 2 in narrowed beam to make the wheel sit right but also depends on the wheel used if it is Torkers then you have a clearence problem with the calipers  Talk to John Rayburn He just did a Disc Brake kit on his Car and is running Torkers
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 15:21:13 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 14:24:41 pm »

Yeah, but I'm pretty sure that Rayburn didn't use drop spindles. Doesn't he have the stock ones? If so, less track width issues. Too bad someone doesn't forge a spindle that allows front discs while retaining the stock track width.

John, I'm assuming that you're going to be utilizing a non-ball joint front end for this, yes? Otherwise, I'd suggest using the '67 and later European disc brake spindles like people did 30 years ago.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 15:10:58 pm »

The offset is more in the brakes themself rather than the spindles.

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 15:45:16 pm »

I can't say anything about the 5 bolt set up, but I'm very happy with my 4 bolt, 4 wheel discs from CB. Stops on a dime and leaves a nickels change Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 15:55:17 pm »

The offset is more in the brakes themself rather than the spindles.

True. But is this to say that the factory (Europe) front Type 1 disc brake front ends had the same track width as their drum brake counterparts? If there's any delta at all... it would be so little, I'm guessing.

~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 16:18:42 pm »

We`re talking about wide five disc brakes here but stock 4 lug discs should have the have the same (Or close) track as drums.

Rennsurfer

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 16:21:04 pm »

Oops. I just now clicked on the link that John posted. Didn't realize we were talking about wide 5 discs. My apologies.

Carry on.

~Sarge
bugnut68

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 16:42:13 pm »

Biggest issue I had was you're limited in terms of what kind of rim you can run (without modifying the rim, at least).  I wanted to run original 2.0 914 Fuchs on my '70, but it wouldn't clear the bottom ball joint.  Found out later I could have had the backs of the front rims machined so they set in further, but didn't find that out until after I sold the rims.
johnl

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 20:15:39 pm »

Thanks everyone for your valued input !!   Smiley Smiley

My thought is to use the Torker wheel, but I should really get the motor back together and running before worrying about stopping!!! Cry Cry Cry Cry

John

PS:  Had a good time at Nick's yesterday but was sad to see the car count so low.  It is the best weather of the year..... Grin Grin

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 20:23:48 pm »

Hi John...I do believe I just read on the other cal-look forum that replacement wear items may not be available from CB for the wide-5 disc kits.  Which I think is very odd...so you may want to investigate that further.

P.S.  I like that you are thinking of getting the front down.   Smiley

Mike H.

Sven was right.
johnl

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 20:27:46 pm »

Hi John...I do believe I just read on the other cal-look forum that replacement wear items may not be available from CB for the wide-5 disc kits.  Which I think is very odd...so you may want to investigate that further.

P.S.  I like that you are thinking of getting the front down.   Smiley

With my forhead getting higher it only makes good sense to get the front end down...... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 13:05:00 pm »

The only experience I have had with these brakes is for NON dropppd spindles - they are the same caliper/rotors/hubs etc and yes they are VERY heavy and the caliper are from FIAT Shocked but with the non dropped spindles the kit mounts the caliper at towards the front of the car - NOT GOOD! I have mentioned this before as with an early car there are no lock stops which means the calipers hit the beam on full lock - The kit also come with Banjo type fitting for the caliper which is also not good as after a few turns of the wheel back and forth the fitting works loose again NOT GOOD! I would hope the dropped spindle kit does not come with these fittings - We changed over to CSP wide5 kit and it was ALOT better and Lighter - A superb piece of engineering Smiley

Hope some of this helps John Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: