The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2024, 17:17:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351056 Posts in 28638 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  What's your technique for installing decklid spring.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: What's your technique for installing decklid spring.  (Read 3824 times)
Sam K

« on: July 09, 2009, 00:54:20 am »

I've always wondered what the proper method for installing the deckild spring on a bug is. I've been doing it the same way for several years, but every time I wonder if there's a better or easier way. Here's what I do: I put the spring on the decklid first and then I put rags on the top of the fanshroud and in the "valley" of both hinges to avoid scratching them. Sometimes I also wrap the top of the decklid with saran wrap to keep from scratching the outside of the deckild on the top of the engine  copmartment. Then I hook the spring into the car and very carefully force the decklid into place and then install the (quick release) hingepins. I'm always afraid of scratching something, though, so I would love to hear if someone has a better method. Thanks!
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 01:25:00 am »

I must be extremely lucky. Ever since the late '70s, with mine, friends', and customers' cars, I've never used anything to protect the fan shroud or body. After doing hundreds of 'em, I guess I got complacent. HAHA!!

Anyway, good luck and hopefully... no scratches shall incur.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 02:33:43 am »

That's how I've always done it.

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
bugnut68

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:56:39 am »

My cars have always been the most engine decklid scratchiest Vdubs of them all...lol.  Seriously, it looks like I took a weedeater back there!
Ohio Tom (DdK)

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 03:51:25 am »

I put a hat on and balance the decklid on my head. One hand on a corner to stead it and the other hand on the spring guiding it as you come in.
Stand behind the car and kneel down looking at the hinge slot. Guide the spring into place while holding the hood with head and hand in the "open" position.
Then with both hands push the hood towards the front of the car (compressing the spring) far enough to clear the hinges and then slide it "downward" into position and line up the hinge bolts.
Works perfect and can be done easily by one person. No scratchs.

Ohio Tom
08'.. 3 R/U...3 Win...
Rennsurfer

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 06:15:45 am »

Tom, that's awesome... adding the hat. Never thought about that. Next time mine is off, I'll have to poach your idea.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 06:24:04 am »

Calling someone who knows what they're doing and bribing them with their favorite adult beverage!  Grin

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Rennsurfer

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:48:00 am »

Calling someone who knows what they're doing and bribing them with their favorite adult beverage!  Grin

Oh... in THAT case, Just set me up with one or two of these, and I'm there.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 07:41:48 am »

Cool.. I just put you on speed dial!  Cheesy

Neil Davies

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 12:09:34 pm »

Cool.. I just put you on speed dial!  Cheesy

Rick, wasn't it the FRONT of your car you were supposed to be taking apart? Wink How's that going, by the way?

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Rick Meredith
DKK

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 17:15:21 pm »

Rick, wasn't it the FRONT of your car you were supposed to be taking apart? Wink How's that going, by the way?

No progress yet... no funds.  Sad Sad

yvre

Der Autobahn Scrapers

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 17:49:56 pm »

I put a hat on and balance the decklid on my head. One hand on a corner to stead it and the other hand on the spring guiding it as you come in.
Stand behind the car and kneel down looking at the hinge slot. Guide the spring into place while holding the hood with head and hand in the "open" position.
Then with both hands push the hood towards the front of the car (compressing the spring) far enough to clear the hinges and then slide it "downward" into position and line up the hinge bolts.
Works perfect and can be done easily by one person. No scratchs.
Perfect explanation. It should be a sticky on all forums across the world.
youngnstudly

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2009, 17:56:24 pm »

I've always used the method where you put the spring on the decklid, "hook" the spring into the body of the car (receiver), use your "noggin" (same method as Tom, but w/o the hat! Embarrassed)  to balance the decklid, with my hands on the "top" corners of the decklid near the hinges to control the decklid from banging the body. Once I get the decklid close to where it needs to be on the right side, I take my left hand away from the driver side and grab the quick release pin (that I put on top of the fanshroud) and insert it into the hinge halves from the inside out. Just slide the pin in to hold things and don't worry about locking it in place. Even without the pin inserted the 2 hinge halves, it should be a tight enough fit (on the right side) to keep from "springing out".  To adjust the holes so I can get the pin through the hinge halves, I usually move my right hand to the right side hinge (from the decklid corner) and put my pointer finger behind the pivot point on the hinge halves while my thumb "adjusts" the hole so they line up, while my left hand goes back on the left corner of the decklid.  I subcontiously move my hands to different positions so the decklid is never unsupported on the loose corner, but it is kinda hard to explain.

Move to the other side and that should be a breeze to finish (but using the left hand to adjust the hinge halves-pointer finger behind the pivot point and the thumb to adjust the decklid hinge halve so the pin slides in place) while the right hand inserts the pin. Just make sure one hand is either holding the loose corner of the decklid, or you thumb and pointer finger are holding the hinge halves together while the opposite hand inserts the pin. I'll post a pic later of what not to do if your car is primered! Wink

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
youngnstudly

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2009, 19:18:32 pm »

Well, here it is...Anti-seize! haha! I put just a smidge of never-seize on the tip of the pin and another dab on the hinge pin bore so I wouldn't have a tough time removing the pins later. Big mistake! Once the anti-seize made it on the hinge itself, I had no trouble "helping it" transfer to the freshly primed and undercoated  areas of my decklid (both inside and out!) Shocked. I was finally able to use rubbing alcohol and soap/water to remove the "evidence". Roll Eyes BTW these quick release pins were bought at the local hardware store for $2 each and it was very easy to modify the decklid to use them. It takes me about 1-2 minutes to remove or install the decklid now and I really like the fact I don't have to adjust the hinges and latch. I used a simple quick disconnect terminal for the decklid lamp wire and a (factory) plastic clear turn signal connector to protect the connection.

Yes I drive my car a lot, and no it's not a show car! Wink Maybe I should have wiped the car down before the "photo shoot." Embarrassed

Nice gloss black hinge and spring with a little "dash" of never -seize added for character! I need to get the 2276 in this heap now...

-Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: