The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 03:45:47 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351086 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  i didn't know that!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: i didn't know that!  (Read 2614 times)
nicolas

« on: July 26, 2009, 19:57:13 pm »

well i just looked at the august 1977 hotvw's issue and came across the article about 'a day at the tracks'. so on page 34 there is a big picture off two bugs on jackstands and 2 people wrenching on it. doesn't ring that a bell? well wait, there is more to it. the car on the left is a nice (very nice) black 67 and the car on the right is the famous beige chop top from Keith Goss/ Keith Seume...
so i had seen this picture before, here on the Lounge. but it was different, if i remember correctly the picure was almost the same, but insted off KG wrenching on the beige car, i think i saw KS.

anyway, i hope someone can find that picture and scan the one from HotVW's to make things a bit clearer.

but, maybe that was not the most important thing about this picture. the fact that this picture struck me was that it is (again) something that seems to be 'part off our hobby', and what a part. i think that besides benchracing and actual racing, wrenching is amongst the funnest things to do in this hobby. helping a friend out on a project, or fitting new parts together seem like nothing major, but are what binds us and make great friendships in this hobby. or am i the only one to think that? i think not as KS went to all the trouble off copying that picture and not others off the car...

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 20:07:20 pm »

You are not alone Wink
I spend much more time working on my friends cars than my own Smiley

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 20:58:33 pm »

black  67  was mike o neill  ,nicolas
  Wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 21:01:44 pm by speedwell » Logged

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
nicolas

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 21:01:48 pm »

off course it is, even with the mag next to me i get it wrong. thanks for the first article allready. do you have the picture from here on the Lounge as well?

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2009, 21:03:20 pm »

Wink

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »

In the last photo, who's car is being towed by the chop? Any more pics of that car?

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
Diederick/DVK

They're never done till they're sold

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 12:16:47 pm »

that would be Mike O'neill's 12-second '67.
1776 w140 and Fumio heads. Pretty cool car, not that much known if I'm correct.

Diederick
 -
Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
vwcab

peter

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 14:17:51 pm »

In the last photo, who's car is being towed by the chop? Any more pics of that car?

--louis
Hey Louis,there's a little pic in the 1st "california look" book.(K.Goss towing M.Neal's bug to fotoshoot location)  Wink

'72 standard käfer
'74 cal-look project
'78 1303 cabrio
'12 Triumph street triple

ESCARABAJO's CALIENTEs
deano

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 15:06:12 pm »

I remember taking that photo in Mike's garage 30+ years ago. We need to do more of that again. Notice Mike's choice of beer?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
nicolas

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 20:23:56 pm »

I remember taking that photo in Mike's garage 30+ years ago. We need to do more of that again. Notice Mike's choice of beer?

yep, you should do that again. pictures like this are timecapsules and they tell so much more. in this one it is two pretty famous cars, back then and now, but what is even more important is that the setting or things happening in that picture are probally going to be timeless.

i think i would have quit this hobby years ago if i couldn't get my hands dirty and have the satisfaction, agravation, pain, joy,... off wrenching on my own car. personnaly i don't get it that some people have their car fully built by someone else. not that it is 'wrong', but for me personnally it would take out a big funfactor. that said, sometimes i wish i had more knowledge about some stuff and not always have to rely on a trial and error way off doing things.  Wink

BTW i totally blew it on the idea that the picture KS showed, was a re-enactment off the one in HotVW's  Undecided sorry 'bout that.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: