The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2024, 15:54:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351087 Posts in 28639 Topics by 6845 Members
Latest Member: DonA
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  clutch judder help.....?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: clutch judder help.....?  (Read 2124 times)
Brown-nose

« on: July 27, 2009, 18:25:05 pm »

I recently changed my clutch release arm and bearing setup from the old style to the ones with the integral clips after an the old style clip let go and damaged the KEP stage 1 fingers
I put a new stage 1 and daiken in there and clutch was juddering on my first trip out (300 miles)
Tried to adjust the freeplay and it still juddered,upon initial engagement
Took the engine out thinking perhaps i had not centered it all up correctly when fitting the new clutch. There are some shiny spots on the daiken (flywheel side) which looks like it has not had full contact. also if you run your finger along the flywheel surface it is not quite even with a slight high spot. no blue marks on the flywheel
Do i need to have the flywheel resurfaced ?
The stage 1 looks ok.....should i have that checked and done too ?

thanks for any advice
DKK Ted
DKK

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 20:29:51 pm »

Put a straight edge across the pressure plate to see if it has a tapper. Kenndy had that problem, make sure you bowen tube has the right bow, and also check to see that your clutch tube did not break off the welds in tunnel, sometimes you can hear it when you apply the pedal. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Ted

VW Classic 2012
Brown-nose

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 21:51:55 pm »

thanks Ted. conduit is fine and clutch welds are ok
anyone know which recent Hot Vws had the flywheel/clutch articles in ? thanks
Brown-nose

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:25 am »

Put a straight edge across the pressure plate to see if it has a tapper. Kenndy had that problem,

Ted

I saw this discussion on KEP on the other forum

http://www.cal-look.com/forum/index.php/topic,26935.0.html

does a warped PP mean a slipping clutch not a juddering one ? lots of talk on there of measuring breakaway torque and shimming up PP and flywheel thickness..... Huh i just want my little stage 1 to not judder (i did this from day 1,no slip). What i came away with from reading that was that KEP clutches taper under heat cycles and once they are resurfaced then there are no more problems. But it also mentions KEP "set up the PPs to wear in" is that evenly or warping...?
i was hoping a Hot Vw reader could tell me if i should hunt down those articles...

any help out there or knowledge guys ?

thanks
Duck

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 22:51:55 pm »

My first stage 1 Kennedy juddered after a few hundred miles, hoped to get away with it till the end of that summer - unfortunately it shattered Shocked
Was told they are'nt very well balanced when supplied from the manufacturer and mine was'nt the first, the replacement is still a stage 1 Kennedy however balanced by a machine shop local to the supplier (VW Speedshop) and has been spot on since.
Hope this is of some help.
Mark
Sam K

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 23:56:08 pm »

I know someone already suggested it, but having the proper amount of bow in the bowden tube is essential for smooth clutch operation. I think the spec is 3/4 to 1 inch and my stage 2 kennedy seems to work best at 1 inch. I took a few 10mm case washers and cut a slot in the so that I could just loosen the clutch cable. pull the bowed tube out a litttle and slip them in between the tube and the transmission.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: