The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:29:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350645 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Inch Pincher found?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Inch Pincher found?  (Read 2591 times)
Neil Davies

« on: March 21, 2023, 22:31:49 pm »

I've just been watching a video on YouTube, where the guy is going to Bug Shakk in Ventura, California. The owner apparently died suddenly and the family are looking to sell everything off.
On the lift is a blue 56/57 oval, with BRMs on the back and 13" DDS wheels on the front. The guy in the video claims that this is the first Inch Pincher, and that when Darrell wanted to cut the rear window out, the car was swapped for a different one which became the flower power roof car.
I can't see it somehow, but it begs the question - what if it is?

https://youtu.be/Txe_o5w62Dc

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
andrewlandon67

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 22:45:54 pm »

The issue is that the IP1 with the flower-power roof still has the small windshield of the split/oval era cars, not the larger one of the '58-up bodystyle. It's very clear in photos from that era that it's the same car with a large rear window chopped in.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Bryan67

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 06:03:19 am »

I think Mike F'n Garage is wrong.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Neil Davies

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 07:20:47 am »

The issue is that the IP1 with the flower-power roof still has the small windshield of the split/oval era cars, not the larger one of the '58-up bodystyle. It's very clear in photos from that era that it's the same car with a large rear window chopped in.

Thats exactly what I thought. The rear window change happens much too late in the car's development for this car to be the one. Looking at the photos on the wal of the workshop, however, somebody was convinced there was some merit to the story! And if Mr Komori from Flat Four is coming to have a look at it... who knows what it is?!

2007cc, 48IDFs, street car. 14.45@93 on pump fuel, treads, muffler and fanbelt. October 2017!
Neil Davies

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 07:22:54 am »

I think Mike F'n Garage is wrong.

I do too, although I think he's just repeating what he was told. In the video at one point there's a shot of under the car, and there seems to be a fair bit of purple. Could it be a DDS car instead?

andrewlandon67

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2023, 15:59:52 pm »

It's certainly not every day that an oval-window ex drag car is unearthed, but I'm always erring on the side of the skeptical with any of these claims. I'd be surprised if there's not a logo painted somewhere under that blue, but it likely won't be one we'll all easily recognize.

14.877 @ 88.85 mph

My car is what it is, maybe not Cal Look per the books, but it's more than most.

"Walking Softly and Carrying a Big Fucking Stick" - Zach G.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2023, 16:06:34 pm »

The guy briefly referred to in the film, Blaise, has long been a fantasist about this car...  Roll Eyes

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
restojohnny

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2023, 16:53:42 pm »

I’ve seen that car in person years ago and there’s orange under that paint and if you look carefully at the pics of the underside and
Compare it to the inch pinchers underside there is quite a resemblance as far as the placement of the parts etc…. I would not be surprised if Mr. Komori makes a deal but blaze had an insane amount of parts he could have made it himself …he truly believed his car was the inch pincher so I told him to strip the paint off it to see for sure and he said no LoL

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 17:55:17 pm »

the real inch pincher 1 was choptop when she was in mexico
and the car on the video was if i remember well from a deano's employe 'but not sure  ,

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Russell

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2023, 23:41:36 pm »

Its not IP1.

Best Regards

Russell
Neil Davies

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2023, 07:18:01 am »

The guy briefly referred to in the film, Blaise, has long been a fantasist about this car...  Roll Eyes

I vaguely remember that name - has this topic been discussed before? As in 20 years ago, maybe on the original Cal Look Forum?

Neil Davies

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2023, 07:21:14 am »

I’ve seen that car in person years ago and there’s orange under that paint and if you look carefully at the pics of the underside and
Compare it to the inch pinchers underside there is quite a resemblance as far as the placement of the parts etc…. I would not be surprised if Mr. Komori makes a deal but blaze had an insane amount of parts he could have made it himself …he truly believed his car was the inch pincher so I told him to strip the paint off it to see for sure and he said no LoL

Thats interesting. I hope whoever buys it does strip the paint back.

Neil Davies

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2023, 07:24:16 am »

and the car on the video was if i remember well from a deano's employe 'but not sure  ,

I knew you'd have photos! From what Mike Fn Garage says though, this inch Pincher replaced the blue car without Darrell knowing when it had the big rebuild. I don't know about any of you guys, but I'd know my car anywhere.

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2023, 16:18:28 pm »

I knew you'd have photos! From what Mike Fn Garage says though, this inch Pincher replaced the blue car without Darrell knowing when it had the big rebuild. I don't know about any of you guys, but I'd know my car anywhere.
iremember having picture of that blue car but can't put my hands on

restojohnny

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2023, 19:51:38 pm »

Here’s another picture when blaze first got it …. It sure who that guy is in the picture??

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Magnesium BRM hoarding bastard !!!

**SURE I'LL SELL IT TO YOU : ) **

EMPI KICK'S ASS EMPI KICK'S ASS
O.G. POMONA VULTURE
$$ SWAPMEET MAFIA $
53 LHD, LH cargo door standard kombi
54 Pre-A Porsche
67 original convertible GTV 
67 euro squareback
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2023, 09:32:15 am »

Here’s another picture when blaze first got it …. It sure who that guy is in the picture??

[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

that's the picture i' was talking about th one i had but cannot find her

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: