The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 13:12:03 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350688 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6822 Members
Latest Member: tpb_karl
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Late Models...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88 Print
Author Topic: Late Models...  (Read 1029841 times)
rebel

« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 22:25:11 pm »

To be honest, I started this topic to see what is a general opinion. In fact I'm building a mid '70s cal inspired 1302.
I was wonderring a lot if it is a point in styling it that way, although I ain't no guru in the subject.
I've found lots of reasons, but they were really been found to convince myself.
I'm doin' it because I got a little obsessed by the cal-look and been owning this particular bug for years (restored it and stuff) and that's my first and only car.
I got used to it and can't just get rid of it just because it doesn't really suit the early days style.
I live in a place, where getting a pre '65 in a reasonable condition is extremely hard.
You could say, that "bacik in the days" there were no or at least very few superbeetles in the look and people did not buy these new models, cause older were cheaper and bougut pupously for the street and strip racing preperation. True. But note the picture from Keith Seume's book showing a Aronson's car next to brown bug of Mark Thurber. Thurber's car looks completely stock in that pic. There could be a situation in the mid 70ties for example, where sombody already owned a bug and after some time decided to style it just as his neighbour did Smiley
I don't really get this, Y' know - that one model suit the style and another doesn not. I personally think that the california look is an attitude first and gear afterwards.
I belive you can do a Cal-looker out of Fridolin if you want. Keith said that in the begining ther were no real apreciation for convertibles, because nobody really raced a convertible. In the begining nobody really raced a Ghia also, so? There were lots of racing ghias 3 or 5 years later, cause somebody proved at the track that it's possible. Coming back to convertibles - note the Ritchie Webb's cabrio... It runs low 10s. And it is still a streel legal cabrio. Even respeccts the strict cal-look rules.
I decided to do it, cause my engine builder - Chris Burns have regularily raced his "mellow Yellow" 1303. And that's a reason for me Cheesy

Jon
Administrator

12,3@174km/t at Gardermoen 2008

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 23:13:30 pm »

Don't worry, play with what you got... that always comes out the best. Don't try to get your super to look older... it will only turn ugly.
I would get a set of Empi eightspokes real ones if the budget allows. Or get copies and weld in the base that you screw the cap to (like the originals) then sandblast them and cover the centre in medium grey with polished edge on the rim. ALL other copy wheels should be avoided if you are going to pull this of.
I would get rid of the trim... ALL of it...  Some nice/ strange colour, + cal-look rubber and one piece windows... and really go for that late seventies look... forget the early cal-look look... it doesn't really fit supers...  Lips Sealed

I guess you could do allot worse than to be inspired by the pictures in this thread.... it will be what it's all about in the coming years... at least here in Norway  Roll Eyes

Grumpy old men have signatures like this.
ESH

« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2006, 22:50:36 pm »

I think late models can work and the proof is out there, there's some nice ones on this thread. My girlfriend is in the process of having a '73 done and though we're changing a couple of things none of the changes are late to early type mods so it'll show it's age. Bumpers, no trim, Fuchs and a motor would be a reasonable summary of where the car is going.  Smiley
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2006, 14:06:44 pm »

some cool late models

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2006, 14:08:14 pm »

Cool

Bill Schwimmer
DKK

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2006, 03:52:37 am »

Thanks for the post about my 70' beetle.Back then late model Cal Look cars were everywhere...I don't know how the mind set that they did'nt exist got started, it was probably by somebody who was'nt even born yet..At the time I got into VW's,about '80-'81 it was just fine to hot rod a late model.They were plentiful & cheap,A typical 10 year old car & you did'nt have to do as much work as an earlier car.It was still cool to have an early car,ovals were plentiful,as a matter of fact I sold a 57 sunroof to do that orange car,but the oval was a piece of crap & quite a bit more work than the orange car.That photo was taken @ Greg Brinton's parents house about '82 or '83.As for super beetles,they were here & there but not as many people did them as standard beetles.I do remember a 71 super owned by Ron Lesnick ,typical cal look mods 2l fuchs ect.It had a IDA motor w/ nitrous.It was the 1st VW I every saw driving around w/ Firestone slicks & it was about the fastest street car around & it was a SUPER BEETLE!! It kicked the crap out of a lightweight race sedan out of Gene Berg's & Roger Crawfords shops on the street one night...This is a cool forum,I hope it does'nt get overrun by the race car crowd like that other forum.    Later  Bill

" don't buy upgrades    ride up grades"
    Eddy Merckx
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2006, 14:32:51 pm »

Thanks for the post about my 70' beetle.Back then late model Cal Look cars were everywhere...I don't know how the mind set that they did'nt exist got started, it was probably by somebody who was'nt even born yet..At the time I got into VW's,about '80-'81 it was just fine to hot rod a late model.They were plentiful & cheap,A typical 10 year old car & you did'nt have to do as much work as an earlier car.It was still cool to have an early car,ovals were plentiful,as a matter of fact I sold a 57 sunroof to do that orange car,but the oval was a piece of crap & quite a bit more work than the orange car.That photo was taken @ Greg Brinton's parents house about '82 or '83.As for super beetles,they were here & there but not as many people did them as standard beetles.I do remember a 71 super owned by Ron Lesnick ,typical cal look mods 2l fuchs ect.It had a IDA motor w/ nitrous.It was the 1st VW I every saw driving around w/ Firestone slicks & it was about the fastest street car around & it was a SUPER BEETLE!! It kicked the crap out of a lightweight race sedan out of Gene Berg's & Roger Crawfords shops on the street one night...This is a cool forum,I hope it does'nt get overrun by the race car crowd like that other forum.    Later  Bill

welcome on our forum bill  Wink

Rune
SCC Crew

Screwdrivers #7

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2006, 20:42:17 pm »

Cool to have you onboard Bill, welcome. I agree with you, to much racecar talk on the other forum.  The street lookers are the real hot VWs.
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 18:26:51 pm »

Just like the others have said welcome to the forum Bill  Smiley and your right, its nice to talk about all aspects of Hot VW's not just the racing.

You either "Get It" or you don't......
rebel

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 00:05:44 am »

Thanks Bill for encouraging, but I've found an inexpensive '61 sean in original condition, so... Well... Smiley
I think my fiance' will take over my yellow 1302  Roll Eyes if I get that '61.

Georg/DFL

« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2006, 22:32:25 pm »

This is a cool forum,I hope it does'nt get overrun by the race car crowd like that other forum.    Later  Bill

Hi Bill,

thanks for that statement! That's what many people (including me) think about the original one. It was fun in the beginning with Mark Herbert, Steph Szantai, Jim Ratto, Rick Zavala, you and even guys like James Lutz, but after a while more and more people joined in, talking about race cars and not Cal Look. And as I said to JHU the other day: I am more of a Cal Look guy that is into racing then a racing fan who is into Cal Look.
Well, see you in about 7 weeks!
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
Wunder Wim

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2006, 10:10:30 am »

Hi there.
As a matter of fact, I'm building a late looker too. The base for my project is a 80'ies Mexican 1300. Plans are to get it painted paprika red, a set of sprintsars in 4.5 and 5.5 inch, hot engine in region of 2165, maybe some simca rally seats. I'm not so shure about the bumpers, maybe Tbars or buggy bars but it need something 'cause it should be my daily driver, so we'll see about that.

And whta about type 3 lookers like Dyno Don's notch. fully dechromed, big engine and BRM's? I really like that car.
fast54vw

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2006, 07:16:43 am »

This brown/green -69 looker is my favourite. Big motor, cool wheels and tires and a perfect 70`s paintjob. And of course, dual mufflers. No fat boy muffler

that brown car belonged to a buddy of mine. it was sepia brown not green
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 07:18:18 am by fast54vw » Logged

Its not what you do, its how you do it!
fast54vw

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2006, 07:19:51 am »

This is a cool forum,I hope it does'nt get overrun by the race car crowd like that other forum.    Later  Bill

thats why i have been coming here for a while now, Bill

ssshhh dont tell anyone at the race car forum

Its not what you do, its how you do it!
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2006, 20:45:18 pm »

another one cool late models

GreenTom

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2006, 15:17:59 pm »

HI Everyone...
I'm new here, I'm Rebel's friend. I like those picks of '70- 1200's cal-lookers Smiley I'm a happy owner of '74 Mexico and I was wondering wat to do wit it (of cors in cal-look style cuz I'm in to it very much). I wonted to give him some old look by welding an old front and rear (screwing old pre 67 fenders etc...) and now I think I will only weld the "ears" behind the rear windows and put an old fenders at the back, and rest will be like it is at the moment Smiley (of corese the engine will be bigger then 1200 Smiley it will be standard 1600 with two Dellorto's DRLA 40 and MOTO SPORT exaust - I know that isn't power monster but I'm juts a poor polish student  Wink oh and my "Kermit" will run on LPG  Grin like he was running all the time ... He will be probobly the only LPG Cal-looker in the world Grin) what do You think, is it a good idea?

Aircooled Performance Gear
Quick Stick Performance
www.QuickStickVW.com
Georg/DFL

« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2006, 20:22:00 pm »

Hi Tom,

welcome to the forum!

Yes, it's a good idea to get rid of the "ears" and put some old fenders and taillights on. Then just lower it in the front and put your engine in – perfect!

And don't worry about your 1600 with Dells – you will have fun with it, especially with the short gear ratios from your  original gearbox. AND: Most of us startet with a small engine. Only a few of us have/had the money to build a big engine right away.

Share some pics when your through with it!
Cheers,

Georg

Cal Look is not a crime
http://www.dflvwclub.de
"Happiness is a hot VW" - in memory of SOB
"When you run into a Cal Look guy he fits the mold. There's… the Cal Look guys, I don't know how to say it … they just seem to be." - Ron Fleming
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2006, 09:58:47 am »

cool cal look from the 80's Cheesy

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2006, 13:35:22 pm »

Porsche US headlights...   Smiley    But that rear view mirror....   interesting Shocked

Lee.C

« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2006, 18:58:56 pm »

I think that mirror is a "Race Trim wide angle panel mirror" I've got one in the box and its are MASSIVE its almost as wide as my buggy screen  Cheesy

little drag

http://littledrag.skynetblogs.be/

« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2006, 20:58:08 pm »

The late models at bug show !
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 21:16:59 pm by little drag » Logged

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2006, 22:44:57 pm »

I think that mirror is a "Race Trim wide angle panel mirror" I've got one in the box and its are MASSIVE its almost as wide as my buggy screen  Cheesy
They're generally known as a 'Wink' mirror, after the company that made them.

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Lee.C

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2006, 23:58:27 pm »

Yeah I had heard that name before Smiley According to the box "it give you eyes in the back of your head!"  Cheesy Grin

Lee.C

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2006, 00:00:17 am »

cool cal look from the 80's Cheesy

I agree very cool - are those vents cut into the backs of the fron wings!? Huh

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2006, 08:24:26 am »

They are called "louvers"....   wait a few years and they are "in" again :-)

Lee.C

« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2006, 12:15:25 pm »

I know thats what they are called but I am Crap at spelling  Huh Roll Eyes

Jon
Administrator

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2006, 12:19:27 pm »

Me to...   Grin

Gunnar|Rennfahrer

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2006, 12:23:21 pm »

As I Said to Rune the other day: In a few years we will be throwing out those big troubleful engines, lower our cars in all four corners and put in a HUGE Stereo With at least 4 15" inch subwoofers. All that together with louvering jobs done on all four fenders, hood and decklid.  Wink Thats what almost everyone in Scandinavia did in the start of the 1990ies...... They called it" Cal-Look" back then.

Gunnar

Rennfahrers VW Club
Lee.C

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2006, 17:37:25 pm »

Yeah I remember the days - does "Ford pepermint green" ring any bells Undecided

rebel

« Reply #59 on: June 11, 2006, 13:51:57 pm »

Continueing the 1302 cal project...

I've recently bought Porsche cookie cutters, but they're 7 inch wide. I wonder how to install them under stock fenders.
Anyone has an idea? I think that the most sensible solution is to put as narrow tyres for the front as possibe and put some spracers/adapters, but I can't figure out their size. I don't have a store with spacers 'round the corner, just gotta order from CSP for exaple, that's why it's very little place for mistake here.
Anybody has ans expirience with 7" wheels here?

« Last Edit: June 11, 2006, 15:00:28 pm by rebel » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 88 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: