The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 04, 2024, 10:09:40 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350874 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hey, Nick's Here
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Hey, Nick's Here  (Read 12036 times)
Sarge

« on: August 03, 2009, 06:22:31 am »

Informal meeting at Angelo's today in Anaheim.  Angelo's is a hamburger joint that features roller skating car hops and BEER Grin  Say, isn't that... naw, it couldn't be, could it?? Roll Eyes Wink  Big turnout of club cars even though it is hotter then hell.  After swilling a few brews, we cruise past the old clubhouse digs on Chestnut St. then blast over to Nick's on Orangethorpe.  Small but energetic crowd tonight.... a beautiful, warm evening in SoCal.  Scott Kelly brought his dad, Larry in the yellow oval.

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 06:23:14 am »

more... Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 06:25:52 am »

more... Roll Eyes

DKP III
Stephan S

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 07:14:54 am »

I love Dave Rosique's 1950 Bus, converted into a 4-bed penthouse in '69...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 07:22:13 am by Stephan S » Logged

Der Kleiner Panzers
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 07:51:25 am »

Looks like a kick ass day was had. Sorry I missed out, spent the day at Raging Waters with the Fam.

Whats the cardboard sign say in front of Casey's ride???

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 08:34:31 am »

Looks like a kick ass day was had. Sorry I missed out, spent the day at Raging Waters with the Fam.

Whats the cardboard sign say in front of Casey's ride???
"Will work for beer"

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 12:14:09 pm »

arghhh sunny socal , it's very different from here  Cry

nice report bro

rgd
fabs

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 14:20:27 pm »

Good stuff, Sarge.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 15:21:16 pm »

Thanks, guys!  The best part for me yesterday was taking the shot on Orangethorpe... the sound of 10 sets of IDA's passing by at full song was just the best! Cool Grin

DKP III
Casey

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 15:35:09 pm »

With all the beer on board it was very difficult to parallel park into my tight spot. We needed two jacks and four boys to finally get it straightened out. What an armature huh. Ssshhhhheeeeshhhhh.

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 16:14:34 pm »

Thanks, guys!  The best part for me yesterday was taking the shot on Orangethorpe... the sound of 10 sets of IDA's passing by at full song was just the best! Cool Grin

Nice drive yesterday. First out to Sarge's from Simi, kicked back and emptied some cans in the shade Cool, nice mellow cruise thru Carbon Cyn, then all the usual circus antics we've come to expect when you mix the letters D K P with  B E E R. Nice couple of romps on the go pedal over to Nicks. Had to slow way down at one point as there was this old guy with no shoes crossing Chestnut St, looking aimless.  Roll Eyes
No traffic at all... car drove itself. Good to make it out again,
johnl

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 16:20:19 pm »

Nick's was fun last night.  Brought the '63 out for the first time since last December.  New motor, Wolfsburg West vent windows, bumpers and many new rubber pieces.  Much time spent on the paint (28 years old).  It was the marathon to get the old girl operable and there, but with the help of Bill Schwimmer, Greg Brinton and Rick Sadler stepping up far beyond the call of duty I was able to make it happen.  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley  Thanks guys, much appreciated  Grin Grin Grin

First time the car has EVER had a header on it.  Driving it to the event and then home with the "pop outs" open and hearing the rumble brought back many memories of eariler days.  Even though it is currently a DP 1600 it "scoots" reasonably well.

On the way home "Big Bus Dave", Mike Mahaffey and Dennis DeMarco followed me to Royze for a tour of the car collection (21 of them).  A long time car buddy and I share the building and he keeps about half of his collection here.  I think the guys enjoyed what they saw.  Made it home a bit after 9pm.

Opened the garage this morning to a strong gas smell (no, not Mexican food)  Shocked Shocked and viewed a puddle of the stuff under the car.  Guess that will be the project after work today.  Angry Angry Angry  Grin Grin

Looking forward to using and enjoying the car once again...........................

Volkswagens Limited, Der Kleiner Panzers Founder Member
Celebrating 60 years of Volkswagens in my life 1963-2023

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 17:13:31 pm »

....."then all the usual circus antics we've come to expect when you mix the letters D K P with  B E E R."

What is IT with B E E R??? Roll Eyes Grin

.....  "Brought the '63 out for the first time since last December.  New motor, Wolfsburg West vent windows, bumpers and many new rubber pieces.  Much time spent on the paint (28 years old)."

Good to see the '63 back on the street again, John! Cool

Here's a few more pics....

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 17:24:11 pm »

more....

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 17:30:49 pm »

Hey Sarge! How are the bottoms of your feet today? That pavement must have felt like the surface of the sun! Also, John Lazenby's car is looking and sounding great!

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 17:36:50 pm »

nice shot of Jayburn, yours truly, and somebody I've been wanting to meet for a long time...  the bus driver Dave Rosique.

Good meetin' you Dave, we need to sit around more often and sawp stories. I forgot to tell you about the guy over the counter that thought we shorted him when we sold him a set of 4 rebuilt rods.  Grin
johnl

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 17:44:47 pm »

Good to see the '63 back on the street again, John!

Thanks Jim !!!  Great to have it back on the road.  Now as Bill Schwimmer states, "you need to put something in the back".  Maybe soon now that I have my stock back up motor.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Life is a learning experience and then you die but when you do you've lived a good life if you contributed to your fellow man.
johnl

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 17:47:40 pm »

Hey Sarge! How are the bottoms of your feet today? That pavement must have felt like the surface of the sun! Also, John Lazenby's car is looking and sounding great!

Hey John, thanks !!!!  Now about your wheels..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes, were they really on the original Moon landing vehicle Huh Huh Huh  Oh yeh, I forgot, that really never happened did it?Huh

Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 17:48:00 pm »

Hey John, how about lending Dave some of your hair? And is that who I think it is sat next to you? Oh, hang on, he's not wearing a sweater round his shoulders...

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 17:54:21 pm »

nice shot of Jayburn, yours truly, and somebody I've been wanting to meet for a long time...  the bus driver Dave Rosique.

Good meetin' you Dave, we need to sit around more often and sawp stories. I forgot to tell you about the guy over the counter that thought we shorted him when we sold him a set of 4 rebuilt rods.  Grin

Yep, it was a fine evening at Nick's!
It was good to meet you Jim, I'm looking forward to the next session...

To John L, thanks for the "tour". It was awesome to see such fine examples of our great American automobiles... makes me want a Chrysler Wagon now Wink Good to get to know you, Mike M & Dennis D...

I'm glad you guys like my 'ol Bus... it's 10 tons of fun!

~Dave
johnl

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 18:06:28 pm »

Hey John, how about lending Dave some of your hair? And is that who I think it is sat next to you? Oh, hang on, he's not wearing a sweater round his shoulders...

Hey John, save me some of that tranplant.  I've got a hole toward the back of my head and more face than most.  The color is off a bit, but that is what they make spray cans of paint for.... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

johnl

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 18:10:39 pm »

To John L, thanks for the "tour". It was awesome to see such fine examples of our great American automobiles... makes me want a Chrysler Wagon now Wink Good to get to know you, Mike M & Dennis D...

~Dave

Dave,  your more than welcome.  Glad you enjoyed the car collection tour and I think your Bus is really cool.  My wife Christie was across the street taking photos.  If you bring it back I'd like to have her take the tour.... Cool Cool Cool

Jim Ratto

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 18:25:04 pm »

that pic was after a Nicks Grande cheeseburger (1lb of meat) and some onion rings. Ugh.
kafercup

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 18:26:24 pm »

that pic was after a Nicks Grande cheeseburger (1lb of meat) and some onion rings. Ugh.

I was wondering about that.......
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 18:33:25 pm »

Hey Sarge! How are the bottoms of your feet today? That pavement must have felt like the surface of the sun!

Yesterday my feet were numb after our little visit to Angelo's... today they hurt like hell Roll Eyes Sad

DKP III
javabug

WHAT'S UP WID DA BOOM BOOM???

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 19:36:53 pm »

Nice pictures, you bunch o' goofballs!   Grin

If anything ever happens to Nick's, Dave's bus could be the new cruise location.  Looks like it should have its own address.

Mike H.

Sven was right.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 19:50:14 pm »

which knucklehead was trying to pay the bill @ Angelos with his Pet Perks club card?  Roll Eyes
Dave Rosique

nobodyouno

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2009, 20:36:51 pm »

~Dave

Dave,  your more than welcome.  Glad you enjoyed the car collection tour and I think your Bus is really cool.  My wife Christie was across the street taking photos.  If you bring it back I'd like to have her take the tour.... Cool Cool Cool

Anytime John!
You guys are welcome to adopt the bus as your new mascot (save Keith a little grief)

~DR.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 20:39:46 pm by Dave Rosique » Logged
Sarge

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2009, 20:48:01 pm »

which knucklehead was trying to pay the bill @ Angelos with his Pet Perks club card?  Roll Eyes

Roll Eyes you'd have had better luck writing a check Grin

DKP III
Jim Ratto

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2009, 21:08:04 pm »

Roll Eyes you'd have had better luck writing a check Grin

would that be a Voit or a Wilson?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 21:24:45 pm by 1970 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: