The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 00:07:29 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Pure racing
| | |-+  First time dyno, advice needed!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: First time dyno, advice needed!  (Read 5959 times)
Endre D

« on: August 07, 2009, 11:30:51 am »

Allright guys,

I ran my engine on a dynapack for the first time yesterday, and came back with some interesting results. This is my first engine build and I'm still a newbie in this thing, so I would really appreciate all advice you can give me on how to make my A/F values better Smiley

Engine specs are as follows;

9.6:1
Engle FK10
48 IDA's
Tims stage 2's
1 5/8 A1 Lowdown header/Rennkäfer muffler
MSD 6 Digital
Mallory unilite (30 max advance)

Carb setup when run;
40 venturis
F7 emulsion tubes
60 Idle
175 main
180 air corrector

Problem is that it's running really lean - especially on top of rpm range, and I'm losing a lot of power and top rpm. What should be my first move in making it richer? I'm thinking smaller air corrector maybe? ANY advice welcomed!

Here's the paperwork;

160hp on the wheels, which translates to 178hp on the flywheel - but I'm thinking it can do a lot better... Unfortunately there was no time for a lot of tuning this time.

And a pick of the car on the dynapack:

Thanks! Smiley

« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:39:05 am by Endre D » Logged

richie

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 12:07:35 pm »

Are you sure its not running out of fuel?it does look really lean on those graphs, something to check for sure,I would go up on the mains and then try the air correctors after,I dont think changing the airs alone will improve it enough,
also worth trying some 42 venturies next time,

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
Endre D

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 12:15:27 pm »

Are you sure its not running out of fuel?it does look really lean on those graphs, something to check for sure,I would go up on the mains and then try the air correctors after,I dont think changing the airs alone will improve it enough,
also worth trying some 42 venturies next time,

cheers richie,uk

Thanks Richie,
Actually it just might be running out of fuel.. we had some trouble with even getting it up to 3psi in fuel pressure the other day.. Could that be it? I will play around with the jetting a bit as well.. Also, we have a LM2 on the way, so that shoul make it a bit easier..  Smiley

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:18:23 pm »

I have a similar curve as Endre, just mine was even leaner. So I definetly need to to the same testing as Endre does.
I know my fuel pressure is 3-3.5 even.. and the rund doesn last for many seconds, so should run empty that fast?

Street car 10.67/206kmt@Kjula 2014
Race car 9.49/236kmt@SCC 2017

Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »

What would F11's or F2's do?

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Endre D

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:43:03 pm »

What would F11's or F2's do?

We're about to find out.. F11's are on their way in the mail  Grin

Rasser

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:54:59 pm »

I donīt know what will happen if you change from F7īs to F11īs, but I do know that I run the F11īs and I had no problem jetting through the rpm range with WideOpenThrottle. I have never tried the F7īs cause the F11īs worked spot on almost right away.

I do however remember that i was advised to stay away from the F7īs and go for F2 or F11. F2 would come in a bit sooner than the F11 if i remeber correct?

PS. Isnīt it about time we get a STICKY topic filled with info and links to all the threads about jetting, float-adjustment etc. etc. on IDAīs ? There are so many good threads about that on this forum, it could probably prove really helpfull to a lot of people...

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 12:58:05 pm »

I donīt know what will happen if you change from F7īs to F11īs, but I do know that I run the F11īs and I had no problem jetting through the rpm range with WideOpenThrottle. I have never tried the F7īs cause the F11īs worked spot on almost right away.

I do however remember that i was advised to stay away from the F7īs and go for F2 or F11. F2 would come in a bit sooner than the F11 if i remeber correct?

PS. Isnīt it about time we get a STICKY topic filled with info and links to all the threads about jetting, float-adjustment etc. etc. on IDAīs ? There are so many good threads about that on this forum, it could probably prove really helpfull to a lot of people...

Sounds like you are volonteering to make such a thread :-) ? I'll definetly make it a sticky.

The search is also good on this forum as we have a lot of old threads with quality info on it

Rasser

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 21:31:28 pm »

Sounds like you are volonteering to make such a thread :-) ? I'll definetly make it a sticky.

The search is also good on this forum as we have a lot of old threads with quality info on it

Cheesy   when time allows!   Wink

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
PPRMicke

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 12:04:34 pm »

Carb setup when run;
40 venturis
F7 emulsion tubes
60 Idle
175 main
180 air corrector

Needel & seat?HuhHuh??
stock Needel & seat 2.00mm max 111-150hk
151-180 hk 2.25 mm  181-200 hk 2.50mm
Best regad
PPR Micke
Endre D

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 13:52:37 pm »

Hmm.. so much to learn! I have no idea about needle and seat, but I guess its stock because the IDA's are new spanish ones. However it did make 160hp at the wheels in current setup so that doesn't quite add up with the max 150 thing..
Putting in a holley blue pump on monday to make sure it gets enough fuel, and trying F11's and smaller air correctors.
It's actually fun hunting for horsepower Smiley

richie

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 16:26:51 pm »

Hmm.. so much to learn! I have no idea about needle and seat, but I guess its stock because the IDA's are new spanish ones. However it did make 160hp at the wheels in current setup so that doesn't quite add up with the max 150 thing..
Putting in a holley blue pump on monday to make sure it gets enough fuel, and trying F11's and smaller air correctors.

Red pump is plenty,the blue pump will have to much pressure even with the regulator turned right down.does it[IDA] have the float bowl opened up? if the needle and seat are to small it wont matter what you do it wont get enough fuel,if you turn the pressure up to compensate it will flood over at idle,I dont know enough about emulsion tubes to comment on the differences,but i cant see how changing them will richen it up that much?

cheers richie,uk

Cars are supposed to be driven, not just talked about!!!   

Good parts might be expensive but good advice is priceless Wink
JS

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 18:48:10 pm »

Carb setup when run;
40 venturis
F7 emulsion tubes
60 Idle
175 main
180 air corrector

Needel & seat?HuhHuh??
Best regad
PPR Micke

Care to explain a bit more about the importance of correct sized needle and seat Micke?
I have dynoed 182hp but never done any modifications to the IDAīs.

Signature.
PPRMicke

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 09:41:21 am »

Carb setup when run;
40 venturis
F7 emulsion tubes
60 Idle
175 main
180 air corrector

Needel & seat?HuhHuh??
Best regad
PPR Micke

Care to explain a bit more about the importance of correct sized needle and seat Micke?
I have dynoed 182hp but never done any modifications to the IDA´s.

at Dyno run shows often not the problem 
strip driving visible problem in 3 gear 
 buy carburettor in a serious shop, so mount them right needle valves 
PS the size of needle valves, you have ??
/// Micke
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 10:10:17 am by PPRMicke » Logged
Endre D

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 20:29:09 pm »

Red pump is plenty,the blue pump will have to much pressure even with the regulator turned right down.does it[IDA] have the float bowl opened up? if the needle and seat are to small it wont matter what you do it wont get enough fuel,if you turn the pressure up to compensate it will flood over at idle,I dont know enough about emulsion tubes to comment on the differences,but i cant see how changing them will richen it up that much?

cheers richie,uk

Ok, so the blue pump will probably be overkill? I'll double check my pressure with the pump I've got tomorrow then. The floatbowls in the IDA's are untouched, and I still have to check needle and seat. The F11's came in the mail today, I don't think they will richen it up much (maybe even lean it out more..) - but maybe improve the AFR curve? Worth a try anyway i guess.. I'll also try smaller air correctors and possibly larger main jets. Hopefully we'll receive the LM2 tomorrow, so we can stop guessing  Smiley
Thanks for all your input!

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 20:41:42 pm »

The regulator that comes with the blue if bought as a kit will not work at least, as the regulator has a range of 4.5-9psi. But using the holley blue with this regulator works

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804/

Endre D

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 20:45:29 pm »

The regulator that comes with the blue if bought as a kit will not work at least, as the regulator has a range of 4.5-9psi. But using the holley blue with this regulator works

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-804/

That's the regulator I'm using - question is; will the blue pump still be to much and flood the carbs anyway?

Trond Dahl
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 20:47:45 pm »

Worked for me at least as I had the previous regulator first, which offcourse gave me too high pressure.

BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 08:50:07 am »

Holley blue pump with a Holley red regulator works. As Trond state, the regulator included in the set will not work due to its range. Regarding the needle valves, I dynoed 223hp with 2.0 without leaning out. But then again I have big fuel lines all the way. I`m also leaning (  Smiley ) towards what Richie said above. It could be that your old pump do not deliever enough.

Good luck, really looking forward to seeing your car again!

Best rgs
BB

« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 11:35:44 am by BeetleBug » Logged

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Endre D

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:42 am »

Holley blue pump with a Holley red regulator works. As Trond state, the regulator included in the set will not work due to its range. Regarding the needle valves, I dynoed 223hp with 2.0 without leaning out. But then again I have big fuel lines all the way. I`m also leaning (  Smiley ) towards what Richie said above. It could be that your old pump could not deliever enough.

Good luck, really looking forward to seeing your car again!

Best rgs
BB

Thanks Kalle,

Hopefully I will change the pump later today and also fiddle around a bit with the jetting. I'll let you know how it goes Smiley

sonic

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 16:55:40 pm »

Congrats with a good results Endre . As people stated , how about those fuel lines  . I usually run an ekstra 3 ltr pot under the gas tank so the pump dosent run dry ??.   I dont think its the pump .
(would be nice to see the result in your engine with an FK 89 ) ..
See you friday ..
Cheers
Erich

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: