The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 03, 2024, 14:28:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350873 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Tyre kicking
| |-+  Off Topic
| | |-+  In the Mountains
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: In the Mountains  (Read 9418 times)
Sarge

« on: August 08, 2009, 23:34:44 pm »

Had a rare day off yesterday so decided to take advantage of the situation with a drive up to the local mountains.  Here in SoCal, the focus is always on the beaches but there is a whole different treat waiting just an hours drive from home.  Sharon and I set out in the Passat (I can see doing this same drive in the '67 when the weather cools a bit) and after a nice breakfast at the Red Hill Cafe in Cucamonga, blasted out the newly completed extension of the 210 FWY for San Bernardino and Waterman Avenue.  When I was 9-12 years old, my dad and I helped our neighbor (Jim Cowie) build a log cabin in Running Springs and it's safe to say we traveled that route many times mostly in Jim's '57 VW Bus.... undoubtedly pissing off many motorists as Jim always had a huge load of supplies to lug down the straining 40hp motor.  Years later, Sharon and I got into hiking and spent every spare day we had wandering the many trails in the clean clear air.  So it was like visiting an old friend we hadn't seen for a long time and around every corner, there were plenty of old memories.  As luck would have it, there was a large V8 Hot Rod show in Big Bear.... we passed these guys on the way up. Cool

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 23:37:29 pm »

a few more....  Took the cut off for Lake Gregory, the site of great July 4th firework shows before heading over to Lake Arrowhead.

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 23:42:41 pm »

Nothing better the sucking Diesel fumes behind a slow bus on a mountain road... Angry

All those rods we passed going up the hill were parked in the lot at Lake Arrowhead, so snapped a couple more pics before checking out the Pendleton Store in the village.  I haven't owned a Pendleton in many years and it was a treat to score one today.  The lake was lookin' good today! Cool

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 23:45:43 pm »

more.... that Ford pickup sounded GREAT!  Say, isn't that Sheep's 4WD 'Vette.... Wink

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 23:47:56 pm »

Lake Arrowhead.... Cool Cool

DKP III
Sarge

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 23:56:00 pm »

After leaving Lake Arrowhead, we made our way over to Running Springs.  We didn't know what to expect as the area was ravaged by wild fires recently and it has been 15 years or so since we last drove by Jim's cabin.  Sharon and I spent our honeymoon here together forty years ago... Smiley  Oddly enough, while I was taking pics, a car rolled up and an old guy got out who was busy chatting up Sharon when I walked up.  Turns out the guy knew Jim and had some cool stories to tell.... amazing!  Green Valley Lake was our next stop... a serene little lake with a quiet campground Cool Cool Cool

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 23:57:50 pm »

How was the weather at the lake?

I also park at Nick's.
Sarge

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 00:07:22 am »

Moving along, we eventually made it up to Big Bear Lake.  Looks like the dam is getting an overhaul.  The town was hopping with plenty of hot rods and tourists, so we made our way through and out the back door on Hwy 38 bound for Onyx Summit.  Nice place to pull over for a beer and a rest before heading home.  It's safe to say that before we restored the '67, we'd have been "off-roading" on that third pic! Shocked  Stay tuned for the DKP edition of this drive! Grin Cool

How was the weather at the lake?

Roll Eyes Foggy... couldn't even see the water..... Wink

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 00:25:28 am »

Did you see any of this while you were up there? Or did you miss that part?

I also park at Nick's.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 00:35:13 am »

right on Sarge! Looks like a day to remember.I think the vette w/ the lift kit belongs to Bates.

yeah, so when is DKP headed up there? I have brakes now..... Cool
stealth67vw

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 00:58:11 am »

I think the vette w/ the lift kit belongs to Bates.

That thing is Bad Ass! I bet it's got a chrome foot gas pedal and everything. Roll Eyes Grin

John Bates
JB Machining Services
1967 street bug 2020lbs w/driver
12.34 @ 108 mph 1/4
7.76 @ 89mph 1/8
Jim Ratto

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 01:01:48 am »

I could see that parked @ the house across from our place on Heather Ln
but with its quadra jet laying apart on sidewalk and its turbo-400 trans on the lawn

git git git! Hooowee that there veedubya sounds rowdy
Sarge

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 01:07:13 am »

Did you see any of this while you were up there? Or did you miss that part?

Missed it I'm afraid... we were busy looking for Sputnicks Roll Eyes Grin

right on Sarge! Looks like a day to remember.I think the vette w/ the lift kit belongs to Bates.

yeah, so when is DKP headed up there? I have brakes now..... Cool

I'm ready as soon as it cools down a bit....  you'll have a large grin on your face, bro! Grin  The dude driving the 4WD 'Vette spared that thing no mercy going up the hill.... a hand full considering the high center of gravity.

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 01:52:48 am »

Did it's horn play "Dixie?"

I also park at Nick's.
j-f

Jean-François

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 10:08:29 am »

Great reports and pictures Sarge.  Wink

California definitively looks to be a great place where fun and entertainment are a way of live.  Cheesy
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:22:49 am »

What's a Pendleton? Is that on of those old folks' walking frame things?

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 17:08:47 pm »

WOW! Very nice report and pictures, Sarge. Thanks for sharing. I used to drive up there a lot in the mid '80s in either my orange car or my 1st Rabbit. Gotta get back up there when it cools down, like you said. The older I get, the less I like being in the heat.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 18:39:31 pm by DKK_Fred » Logged

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Sarge

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 17:42:48 pm »

Did it's horn play "Dixie?"

sigh.....

Great reports and pictures Sarge.  Wink

California definitively looks to be a great place where fun and entertainment are a way of live.  Cheesy

Thank you!!  For all the bad that goes on in SoCal, there's more good to make up for it.... Cool

What's a Pendleton? Is that on of those old folks' walking frame things?

Shocked Shocked      DKKFRED!!!..... John and KS are beatin' me up!!!  HELP ME!!!!  Cheesy

WOW@! Very nice report and pictures, Sarge. Thanks for sharing. I used to drive up there a lot in the mid '80s in either my orange car or my 1st Rabbit. Gotta get back up there when it cools down, like you said. The older I get, the less I like being in the heat.

Thanks and your welcome!  One of the last photos shows the cut off for Heart Bar.  Back in the day, we'd stop at the Mill Creek Ranger Station for a wilderness permit and then take the Heart bar turn off (this in the un-restored '67).  The pavement ends in 100 yds and the road becomes a rutted, rock strewn navigational course for a few miles before coming to a clearing and the Aspen Grove trailhead where we'd leave the car.  The trail has a stream crossing at the beginning, then meanders through the forest for a few miles before reaching Fish Creek Meadows.  Proceeding further, you could access Dry Lake and Dollar Lake as well as Mt San Gergonio.  We always did day hikes and would stop at Law's Cafe in Oak Glenn on the way home for a Swiss Steak Dinner and a big slab of hot apple pie ala mode with hot caramel sauce....Good times! Cool

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 18:20:36 pm »

Sarge, you didn't show them this one of the lake!

I also park at Nick's.
ESH

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 18:27:20 pm »

Cool shots, got me looking up air fares!  Cool
Rennsurfer

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2009, 18:42:58 pm »

Keith, John. You're both very bad. Back to your rooms, NOW. If you don't have anything nice to say... aw, you know the rest.

Grin

There, did I just earn a bier, Sarge?

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2009, 18:47:17 pm »

Mark, I just want to thank you for saving my life during the Korean War.

I also park at Nick's.
Wünderwolff

aka Dr. Jeckill

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2009, 18:53:24 pm »

Why do you guys always take it off topic so fast  Undecided

Oh yeah that's where we are at  Grin

And Sarge, show us the pendleton so everybody knows what is is. I didn't, so had to look it up, finally found it under 'old mens garment'. Did you buy the one with the fluorescent sleaves to show which way you are turning?  Tongue

Wünderwaffe are Go!
Jim Ratto

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 19:58:13 pm »

when is it cold enough in Chino to wear a Pendelton? Huh
Sarge

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 21:19:00 pm »

Shocked DAMN, rough crowd!! Grin  Sorry, I assumed everyone knew what a Pendleton was....  http://www.pendleton-usa.com/section/Men/1814.uts   Pendletons are many things but their wool shirts are the best; something it was cool to own in the '60's.  You had your white Levi's, your Penny's Towncraft t-shirts and your Pendleton (it would be considered HUGE to have more then one as they cost a lot for a kid with no money). At any rate, as hot as it is here now, it will be equally cold soon enough....

DKP III
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 02:01:47 am »

That's for the Gene Berg look.

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 13:59:15 pm »

Mark, I just want to thank you for saving my life during the Korean War.

John, I cannot take full credit for that. Much of the saving stemmed from this very image that Sarge took.

Watch Back To The Future backwards for further enlightenment.

~Sarge
Rick Meredith
DKK

We can't force ya to have fun

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 19:36:57 pm »

I'll ignore the noise and just say great post and pics Sarge!

67 Beetle - The Deuce Roadster of Cal Look
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 19:39:50 pm »

I'll ignore the noise and just say great post and pics Sarge!
So, you're angling to get a Christmas card off Sarge then. Well, good luck! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Sarge

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 20:25:05 pm »

I'd say Rick's chances of getting a Christmas card are WAY better then yours after that old folks walking frame crack.... Kiss Wink

DKP III
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: