The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 00:20:35 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350646 Posts in 28563 Topics by 6811 Members
Latest Member: Bren
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  In Da Werks
| | |-+  1600 Turbo project: Mindstorm fase.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1600 Turbo project: Mindstorm fase.  (Read 11989 times)
Corally

Drive it like it's stolen!

« on: August 02, 2011, 22:19:32 pm »

Hi there guys!

Haven't properly introduced myself yet so here it is. I'm Gideon, 21 years young and live in the netherlands. Drive a 62 bug. Car comes from Sweden. There it has been converted to an oval beetle look (rear window, semaphores, W decklid, taillights) I own it since 2008. Since then i've made modifications continuously.

It now has a 1679 cc engine which i build winter 2009/2010. But i'm planning on building a 1600 (stock bore) turbo engine. I'm still in the mindstorm stadium. I'm sure that i want to build it but i don't have a clue about when. This is due to the fact that the car itself is in need of some love to. But at the moment i'm looking for ideas and inspiration for the engine Wink I hope to have it running season 2013  Lips Sealed Cheesy

I have no experience in choosing a turbo grind camshaft nor type of turbo and it's size. Why a turbo engine? I want an engine that will give me great driveability which produces big power under 6k rpm.  Small engine size because of the limited budget. Maximum hp that i would like to achieve would be 160 at flywheel. But anything from lets say 135 hp up would be fine.

Some parts i want to reuse from my current engine:

Scat pro-street heads 40mm inlet 35 mm outlet
As41 case, line bored, two bushings on centre main bearing saddle, full flow etc
Crank, Stock crank, 8 dowled.
lightend stock flywheel

I'd like to use some redone and lightend stock rods from probably ahnendorp.

Nothing about a turbo and camshaft because i don't have a clue yet. And what would a nice carburetor setup be. A single two barrel sidedraft weber before compressor? Double drla/idf after compressor? Anybody ideas about a air to air or water to air intercooler placement without affecting the stock body look?

All ideas and input is welcome! Post some pics of your setup to!  

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 16:40:52 pm by Corally » Logged

Kind regards,

Gideon
Zach Gomulka

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 17:43:49 pm »

Does your current 1679 use "slip in" cylinders that require no machining to case/heads? If not, you will have difficulty putting the stock size cylinders in there, best to stick with 1679cc Wink

Born in the '80s, stuck in the '70s.
Corally

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 18:26:01 pm »

My current 88mm cilinders are slip in. So the bores in case and heads are stock. My gut feeling says that the thin wall cilinders won't hold up. As an extra the smaller cilinder diameter will give me a lower compression ratio. I want to do some unshrouding (left the chambres stock) and if needed a ring can be placed in the heads to further lower the Cr. With my current engine i've had a lot of problems with detonation. (9,6 cr ) and i now use pump gas (95 octane with 5 % bio-ethanol) and mix it with E85 to get E15(15 % bio-ethanol) this raises it not far enough yet so i have to retard the ignition timing to about 25 degrees. At EBI this year i could easily run 35 degrees. The heads don't get that warm when doing a quarter mile then when i'm driving on the freeway. Anyway i want to loose this problem with the new problem. I have some experience with Mitsubishi lancer evo rally and street cars ( Roll Eyes) The solution to detonation with these cars was to just run about no ignition advance at all. These street cars had a max  of just 5 degrees.

I've looked up some turbo setups and it looks like a turbo under the rear apron would be nice. I could rebuild my Dellorto DRLA 40mm carbs for turbo use. This would be rather cheap to. But i'm afraid that this setup is a tuning nightmare. Does anybody have experience in making such a setup?

Kind regards,

Gideon
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 20:43:26 pm »

Build it cheap'o style but with a decent turbo exhaust, a good ECU and go big on the turbo, injectors, injectors and go E85. Turn the boost up to 30+ psi and have FUN! When it blows (if it blows) you can easily (and cheap) replace the short block and re-use the exhaust etc.

BB

10.41 - 100ci - 1641ccm - 400hp
Corally

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 20:45:54 pm »

That is about everything but the plan  Cheesy

It's still about 90% street-use. So it has to be some what reliable. And i don't expect huge outputs. Fun to drive up to 160 hp kinda thing
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 20:48:31 pm by Corally » Logged

Kind regards,

Gideon
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 21:22:57 pm »

I see no reason why the set up I mention above should not be every bit as street friendly compared to what you plan. After you have driven a while with 160 hp I'm sure you will regret not going bigger  Smiley

Type1/DVK

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 21:25:28 pm »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=271444&highlight=1600+turbo

read this also? nice basterd combo, no fancy expensive parts..  Slam a turbo on it, Go for it Tongue

DDD#8 - 14.74sec @ 1776cc - Member of:  DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers  - www.ultimatevw.nl - and racing engines
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 21:34:18 pm »

For inspiration:

http://cal-look.no/lounge/index.php/topic,13628.0.html

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=X7nXYryGuIA

Corally

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 21:39:44 pm »

Thanks guys! Gonna do some serious reading now!  Cheesy

Kind regards,

Gideon
mrmut

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 12:38:20 pm »

Watch this stock 1600 engine 30PSI boost Wink
http://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=133516
Corally

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2011, 18:31:27 pm »

The link Type1 posted is the most up my alley. His T25 turbo seems to perform the way i have in mind. Though his approach is low tech. I would like my 1600 to out perform his engine some how. His turbo seems te way to go though.

Setup wise i'm still debating. The CB performance style setup is very nice. With the turbo behind the rear apron. I would then use my 40 mm Drla dells with a turbo conversion kit. But this seems to me like a tuning nightmare. Who here has tuned dual dells or webers with turbo before? Too bad i've never before seen a turbo setup that integrated an intercooler without it sticking out somewhere. I want to keep the stock body look offcourse. 

I'm going to order the CB performance MS Digital distributor for my current engine but it's going to be used on the turbo engine aswell.

Kind regards,

Gideon
mrmut

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »

The link Type1 posted is the most up my alley. His T25 turbo seems to perform the way i have in mind. Though his approach is low tech. I would like my 1600 to out perform his engine some how. His turbo seems te way to go though.

Setup wise i'm still debating. The CB performance style setup is very nice. With the turbo behind the rear apron. I would then use my 40 mm Drla dells with a turbo conversion kit. But this seems to me like a tuning nightmare. Who here has tuned dual dells or webers with turbo before? Too bad i've never before seen a turbo setup that integrated an intercooler without it sticking out somewhere. I want to keep the stock body look offcourse. 

I'm going to order the CB performance MS Digital distributor for my current engine but it's going to be used on the turbo engine aswell.

I do not know whether the same effect would be obtained with 40 DCOE the turbo instead of 40 IDF or DRLA.
I would do with 40 DCOE because I have.
Оr double 36 drla from Alfa romeo 33 , I can easily and inexpensively to purchase .
Can anyone tell me which variant is stronger in(HP)
BeetleBug

Snabba grabben...

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2011, 13:12:24 pm »

What is all this talk about carbs? Carbs and turbo dont mix very well  Wink

Corally

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 22:39:39 pm »

What is all this talk about carbs? Carbs and turbo dont mix very well  Wink

That was my first thought too but going efi is an expensive step...  Undecided would love to use efi though

Kind regards,

Gideon
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: