The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 05, 2024, 11:46:15 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
351094 Posts in 28640 Topics by 6846 Members
Latest Member: JamesBoyd
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Got any Dave Vanderbeck photos?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Got any Dave Vanderbeck photos?  (Read 3904 times)
deano

« on: August 17, 2009, 17:21:51 pm »

Post 'em if you 'em.... I believe there was a story on his car in VW Greats?

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 20:44:56 pm »

here we go dean  Wink
vw great spring 72

http://speedwell55.skynetblogs.be/
oldspeed 61 standard empi/speedwell
speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 20:49:56 pm »

steve reyes pictures  Shocked

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 20:51:21 pm »

from dunes buggies & hot vws  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 20:52:17 pm »

Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 20:53:23 pm »

more  Wink

speedwell

the archivist

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 20:59:20 pm »

There is not enought pictures of dirty dave, I come  in my archives and nothing more that what i already had, because a lounger asked me for information also because it had just received this (3th pict)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 16:50:46 pm by speedwell » Logged

deano

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 22:00:00 pm »

Interesting photo collection. I see where Dave had JEB Industries as his main sponsor for years, but then went to DDS, Renfree (which I believe he worked there for a time...), and then Speed Unlimited. That Steve Reyes photo is very interesting.... At first, I thought it was Dean Lowry driving the first DDS car, but once I saw the blowup in person, I realized that it was Dirty Dave's car at Lions. I don't recall seeing Dave's car with the DDS billboard on the door.... until now. Great shot! I got one for my office from Steve Reyes...  Now, I know Dave passed away years ago, but where did his car go...... Hmmm.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 00:31:05 am by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
kingsburgphil

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 05:40:55 am »

Dean.. I got hundreds of vanderbeke photos-stuck in my head. Dave lost his race car when his tow car blew a tire and totaled everything on his way to the Nationals -73 or 74. I'm proud to say he was my friend despite his "challenges". I worked with him, and worked for him in the late 70's, and will remember him as one of those unforgettable characters  that make-up our life experience.

A couple of his "speed secrets", Vaseline in the front wheel brgs., 30 wt. in the trans. Did it work? I don't know, but he went fast without chrome,
polished or billet anything. Dave was the epitome of old school, if not home spun, competing on the NHRA circuit with a shoestring budget.

Sarge

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 12:56:09 pm »

I worked with Dave at Renfree VW in the early seventies for a short time.  He was in charge of dispatching jobs to the mechanics as well as wrenching on problem cars.  Dave took care of repairing the clutch tube on my old '63 sedan during that time.  Later on, while working at George Follmer Porsche Audi in the mid '80's, I sold Dave parts when he had his Volksweimer shop in Riverside.  I remember him as a loud, controversial guy who really had his shit together when he got behind the wheel of his race car.  Like Phil pointed out, no chrome, no polish, no BS... just fast.

DKP III
deano

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 14:04:01 pm »

Dean.. I got hundreds of vanderbeke photos-stuck in my head. Dave lost his race car when his tow car blew a tire and totaled everything on his way to the Nationals -73 or 74. I'm proud to say he was my friend despite his "challenges". I worked with him, and worked for him in the late 70's, and will remember him as one of those unforgettable characters  that make-up our life experience.

A couple of his "speed secrets", Vaseline in the front wheel brgs., 30 wt. in the trans. Did it work? I don't know, but he went fast without chrome,
polished or billet anything. Dave was the epitome of old school, if not home spun, competing on the NHRA circuit with a shoestring budget.
Thanks Phil, Do you recall Dave's connection with DDS? He appeared to drive for Dean & Ken at times, both with his own racecar and the chop top I/gasser..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 16:45:50 pm by deano » Logged

Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
marc1951

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 05:57:23 am »

And it's story time (or ramblings) once again from an old timer:

There was a time when VWs ruled the NHRA lower gas classes. Empi held the I gas record but there were a lot us who could run better times. Empi was sandbagging, only going as quick as needed to win. This meant you could put your hot street motor in a gutted car and running the I gas index win and win............as long as you didn't set the record.......that belonged to Empi. I think it was brilliant as it just made hot VWs more popular. Then Dave Vanderbeck became sponsored by JEB and I'm guessing they wanted him to hold the record to highlight their products. He would set the record and EMPI would take it back. This repeated over and over until the index was so low that many VW race cars were no longer competitive and the cost of NHRA racing was now much higher.
I don't have any fond stories about Dave and they didn't call him Dirty Dave for nothing. All the VW racers helped each other out, sharing parts, etc. But loan Dave some Weber jets and he might return them drilled out to a bigger size.
I remember once he had broken his transaxle and we loaned him the Underdog transmission which he also broke. Oh, he rebuilt it and returned it...no problem. It's just that we couldn't figure out why our car was running flat in 3rd gear until we took the transaxle apart and found the 3rd gear had not been welded.
There's more but what's the point....... a lot racers did this kind of crap and besides that was almost 40 years ago.
Dave Vanderbeck was a serious competitor and a tough one to beat.

Marc Buehler
DRA

The legendary DRA car club
(Der Rennmeister Association)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: