The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 19:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350689 Posts in 28577 Topics by 6823 Members
Latest Member: Riisager
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  NEW FREE Reading! Car Related!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NEW FREE Reading! Car Related!  (Read 7869 times)
Jim Aust

« on: August 18, 2009, 02:45:05 am »

Since some of the hot rod snobs aren't friendly to me either thought I would share our latest issue http://www.traditionalspeedandkustom.com/ with one of the only groups that has been friendly! I have been into VWs and hot rods both my entire life and I know a good number of you are as well. Hope you like it, if you don't please ignore. We are still looking for a buildable pre-64 project for SO-CAL L.A., preferably an Oval if we can pick one up right locally. Thanks Jim

Let me know if you need anything from SO-CAL Speed Shop let me know- I own the SO-CAL L.A. franchise in Long Beach, CA. thanks Jim 310/991-6128
Sarge

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:57:17 am »

Thanks for sharing, Jim!  If it has to do with souped up cars, I'm in. Cool  So, once the guys over at The Garage smelled a little VW, they dumped you???..... sheeeeeeeesh! Wink Grin

DKP III
Jim Aust

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:28:16 am »

NOOOOO! The Garage is fine and we are TOTALLY VW friendly there. It was a DIFFERENT board. Please don't think that about the Garage! We will be building our SO-CAL Bug on there and it will be cool. There are other hot rod boards that would NOT allow a positive VW post to go 13 pages the way the one on The Garage has gone. Our people get it!

Let me know if you need anything from SO-CAL Speed Shop let me know- I own the SO-CAL L.A. franchise in Long Beach, CA. thanks Jim 310/991-6128
Speed-Randy

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 04:34:24 am »

does it have to be an oval, i have a 59 semaphore car with original(patina) paint that i could part with. pretty complete, great base car. let me know, randy

Jim Aust

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 05:05:39 am »

No, a '59 would be killer!!! My first was a '61- also had a '58 I really liked! Always wanted a Semaphore car! Send me info & pics to jim@socalspeedshopla.com Thanks Jim

Speed-Randy

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:57:39 am »

i'll try and get some out tomorrow, also have a ragtop clip if you want a sunroof

Jim Aust

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 17:27:24 pm »

WOW!!!! Sunroof Semiphore car- been a dream for about 30 years!

jick

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 20:56:14 pm »

hey Jim.....can't wait to see that So-Cal bug, i think there's a huge gap in the scene for hot-rod inspired vw's.....i might just be hitting you up for some parts for my 29 A coupe too!
i'm another one with dual loyalties.

cheers.....Jick

i'll be sure to check out that other forum too.....its not one i've seen before.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 21:00:26 pm by jick » Logged

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 21:43:28 pm »

You keep posting that link!  That is awesome.  I have a front grill from an ancient tractor that I have had 20 years, and was saving for a hot rod (maybe) but I am looking to move it so I just registered and will post it on the swapmeet section. 
Thanks!
Nothing like a fine greaser girl in a red skirt!

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
peach_

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 22:07:58 pm »

Hey Jim Just read your whole post on Vw's,  On your forum......but tried to register to put a post on but couldnt because of the "what year is a Duce" question and i dont know it lol.............can anyone help? lol Cheesy
Sorry and cheers  Grin

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Speed-Randy

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 22:17:28 pm »

It's a 32, and I sent the pics to you Jim

Rennsurfer

D.B.O. Not a club; a state of mind.

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 00:52:55 am »

What year is a Deuce? HAHA!! Sorry, but I haven't the foggiest idea and I don't really care. Thought this was a Cal Look VW forum about German air-cooled cars. I'm glad most hot rod people despise us. Let's me know that what I'm doing is correct and I'm on the right path. Been that way for the last thirty years of my driving career.

Motion to move to Off Topic, please.

"You can only scramble an egg so many ways."
~Sarge
Jim Aust

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 01:47:32 am »

Growing up with all kinds of cars at our house (my dad has 30 classic cars) we had everything from Volkswagens (my mom's first new car was a Red '68- my wife's first car was a '61 bug we built together) , to Model A Fords, to '56 Chevys to a 1919 American La France Fire Engine. The only ones gone are my Volkswagens, but I working on changing that. Never saw the reason to support only one brand and interest.

Worm
DKK

Whose stupid idea was that?

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 02:52:49 am »

Motion denied.

"Duece" is another word for a TWO.  It comes from the old days of poker players calling names for cards.  I know most of you know this BUT......
So, a duece coupe is a 1932 (two) Ford.

Two bits = .25 cents
Dead mans hand= aces and eights  (the hand Wild Bill Hickock was holding when he was shot).
Theres some obscure american culture for yah....  yada yada yada

You really didnt know that?  Hey I have owned these Vee dubs since my first car I ever bought in 1977.  However, those days of hangin out on Whittier and just plain being alive in the seventies, you HAD to know about american muscle.  Its a CAR culture, not just a VW culture.  I drool when I see a Dodge w/a 440 and a six pack, or a flat head with triple strombergs, dont get me started with an injected blower......  I am certain Mr. Meredith would be one to agree.  Sorry.  That link was SO fun to read.

I still love you Mark, you are still punk dude! 

Respect.

Dah Worm

"Pretending to know everything closes the door on whats really there"
Rennsurfer

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 03:44:38 am »

Excellent post, Worm. I don't know any card games other than Blackjack, but already knew that Deuce means two. Thanks for the education, though.

Carry on.

~Sarge
Speed-Randy

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 05:20:19 am »

dont let these meatheads get you down, theres room for everybody Smiley

Jim Aust

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 06:55:17 am »

If I hadn't felt the VW prejudice myself personally when I have restored and built my Bugs I'd probably be upset, but I do know how it feels. It's cool if you like to keep your passion separate- just letting you know from where I have seen it as a car magazine editor traveling across the country there are a MAJORITY of hot rodders who also LOVE Volkswagens. That's just a fact. Thanks everyone who sees I'm not trying to ruffle feathers- just show as a guy that loves hot rods and Volkswagens- I'm not alone.
Take an editor of Street Rodder Magazine like Eric Giesert- he used to be an editor at VW trends- longggg ago. He still loves VWs, but is deep in the hot rod world too. I could go on for pages, but you wouldn't want to hear me ramble. Thanks Jim

LuftsickTero

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 07:17:11 am »

.but tried to register to put a post on but couldnt because of the "what year is a Duce" question and i dont know it lol

Duce? Wasn't Mussolini called "Il Duce"..

"Duece" is another word for a TWO.  It comes from the old days of poker players calling names for cards.  I know most of you know this BUT......

If i read my Popular Hot Roddings and Hot Rods correctly in 80's Chevy II was called also a Deuce.. Nearly as confusing as calling Fuchs "alloys"  Grin

If I hadn't felt the VW prejudice myself personally when I have restored and built my Bugs I'd probably be upset, but I do know how it feels.

Keep on posting Jim, good to see something different than factory colours and Berms.

| Cal&Resto | Publishing own mediocre Cal Look photos since 1995 in interwebs.
peach_

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 07:26:26 am »

Motion denied.

So, a duece coupe is a 1932 (two) Ford.

Two bits = .25 cents
Dead mans hand= aces and eights  (the hand Wild Bill Hickock was holding when he was shot).
Theres some obscure american culture for yah....  yada yada yada

You really didnt know that?  Hey I have owned these Vee dubs since my first car I ever bought in 1977.  However, those days of hangin out on Whittier and just plain being alive in the seventies, you HAD to know about american muscle.  Its a CAR culture, not just a VW culture.  I drool when I see a Dodge w/a 440 and a six pack, or a flat head with triple strombergs, dont get me started with an injected blower......  I am certain Mr. Meredith would be one to agree.  Sorry.  That link was SO fun to read.

I still love you Mark, you are still punk dude! 

Respect.

Dah Worm

Hey I didnt set out to cause a fuss, I just honestly didnt know what one was lol, In the Uk you only see hotrods once in a while (well in my area of the uk), so never really grew up with them...........question answered now and i was able to make a post Cheesy Grin

c

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 07:43:29 am »

Keep on posting Jim, good to see something different than factory colours and Berms.

Word!  Grin

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
Jim Aust

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 08:22:42 am »

Funny because I LOVEEEEE Factory Colors and BRMs!!! My dream car is a totally stock '51 split, factory blue/green, lowered a little with BRMs. I don't even need the big engine!

Luftkraft

You know Gil Gonzales?

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:00 am »

Actually, I also think that factory colors and BRMs are a very good looking combination, but it's just that I'm a little fed up with that sort of "bellybutton" cars. To me, the true art is building a traditional Cal Look car that stands out from the crowd... or is that already a paradox?  Wink It's really similar to building a traditional deuce roadster, or let's even say a black deuce roadster. But I think it's possible to build a deuce roadster, that is black, that is traditional, and that is unique. Should be possible with a cal looker, too. Oh well, am I getting off the point, what was the thread about?  Grin
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 09:48:26 am by Luftkraft » Logged

LUFTKRAFT Hopped-Up Vee Dubs since 1998
LOWTECH Traditional Hot Rods and Customs Online

...because stock sucks.
youngnstudly

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 00:47:56 am »

Nothing like a fine greaser girl in a red skirt!

It's not the skirt that counts, it's what's under the skirt that counts! Wink

If I hadn't felt the VW prejudice myself personally when I have restored and built my Bugs I'd probably be upset, but I do know how it feels. It's cool if you like to keep your passion separate- just letting you know from where I have seen it as a car magazine editor traveling across the country there are a MAJORITY of hot rodders who also LOVE Volkswagens. That's just a fact. Thanks everyone who sees I'm not trying to ruffle feathers- just show as a guy that loves hot rods and Volkswagens- I'm not alone.
Take an editor of Street Rodder Magazine like Eric Giesert- he used to be an editor at VW trends- longggg ago. He still loves VWs, but is deep in the hot rod world too. I could go on for pages, but you wouldn't want to hear me ramble. Thanks Jim

I have always felt the same way about hot rods and Volkswagens. My dad has restored classic cars and hot rods since he was 16, and all of his friends and customers that have seen my bug in the shop or in the driveway at home has always made some crack about "Got a drifter here, huh?" or "How do you put up with your kid working on this foreign junk?". It gets me everytime!  Roll Eyes I have always felt that if if hauls a$$, has a steel dashboard and no plastic along the interior, and could be considered a real  classic, I like it! Truck, cars, motorcycles (etc.) are welcome IMO. I always reply with "Yeah I am thinking of getting a import tuner next....Have you seen that sweet movie "Fast and Furious???" Those cars are SIC fool!  Grin Wink." Funny how they never look at me the same after a response like that!

Andy

There may be rocks, there may be chips, but one things for sure...I drive this bitch!
The Ideaman

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2009, 03:26:07 am »

What year is a Deuce? HAHA!! Sorry, but I haven't the foggiest idea and I don't really care. Thought this was a Cal Look VW forum about German air-cooled cars. I'm glad most hot rod people despise us. Let's me know that what I'm doing is correct and I'm on the right path. Been that way for the last thirty years of my driving career.

Motion to move to Off Topic, please.

Hey, I disagree.  Hotrods are hotrods.  It has been my experience that many hot rod guys can dig Cal Look'ers.  Maybe it is just the attitude that rubs them the wrong way.

It is the soldier,
Who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped in the flag,
Who allows the protestor to burn the flag.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 03:33:50 am »

Hey, I disagree.  Hotrods are hotrods.  It has been my experience that many hot rod guys can dig Cal Look'ers.  Maybe it is just the attitude that rubs them the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong... I appreciate and admire many of the hot rod cars out there. But when I was growing up, my first car was a Cal Look VW. THEY had the attitude. THEY were pullin' up beside us on Whittier Blvd. (or any other cruise spot) to talk crap and belittle what we were driving. So, I guess I see your point regarding attitude.

Grin

What pissed 'em off even more; getting beat by a VW. HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! THEN, we either saw more 'tude or nine kinds of shame and quietness. Both outcomes were rather funny. Don't see too much of it, these days, on the street or in person. Mostly, I hear about it from my friends that drive hot rod cars and VWs, which also hang out on those forums/sites. 'Tis safe to assume that, over the years, they've backed off with the negativity in person. Anyone can talk smack hiding behind a glowing screen in the comfort of their own homes.

~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 04:20:34 am »

You know, I like all kinds of cars and trucks. I definately have my favorites and opinions though. Hell, I even don`t mind seeing an old Volvo or BMW once in awhile. But I am a hardcore VW fanatic and will always be. I have owned a couple of GM products but just couldn`t get into the local Chevy guy scene. So I came back (I never really left). And I take far greater pleasure giving a beatdown do a guy in a FWD "Import" more than an American car because I think we fit in with the V8 guys more and they are on our side a little more. But if I could afford it I would own at least one Duece as well as a few other cars. But I lean more the traditional Rod and Custom stuff more than the Musclecars. I`ll take Supremes and pinner whitewalls over rallies and TA`s anyday. Anyway, most of the real car guys I know like VW`s and have built a few and don`t discriminate. I do agree with Ideaman though that having an attitude toward them doesn`t help and will do nothing to further our cause. And don`t try to get all punk rock on me and tell me how you don`t care what they think because It`s not 1978 anymore.

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 06:22:43 am »

And don`t try to get all punk rock on me and tell me how you don`t care what they think because It`s not 1978 anymore.

Epic fail.

I'm not punk rock.

I'm not a lemming.

It's 1977.

I don't care what they/you think.

I care that you don't care.

I go drink Guinness now and laugh.

Grin

~Sarge
John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 07:41:51 am »

Thank God for you Mark! I think you should strip the paint off your hubcaps just so you can paint them again!

I also park at Nick's.
Rennsurfer

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 13:52:10 pm »

Thank God for you Mark! I think you should strip the paint off your hubcaps just so you can paint them again!

And I thank God that we have brains that can make decisions. I think that a few of us should take our cars to Donut Derelicts on a Saturday morning, so we can admire many of the nicely done hot rod cars that are consistent fixtures at said venue. Pick a weekend and let's GO.

~Sarge
Bryan67

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 14:26:48 pm »

And I thank God that we have brains that can make decisions. I think that a few of us should take our cars to Donut Derelicts on a Saturday morning, so we can admire many of the nicely done hot rod cars that are consistent fixtures at said venue. Pick a weekend and let's GO.

Why? So you can piss the hot rod guys off?

If you`re going to do something, do it right.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: