The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 16:27:18 pm

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350687 Posts in 28576 Topics by 6820 Members
Latest Member: chicochemxli
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Whats your scariest moment in a cal-look bug?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Whats your scariest moment in a cal-look bug?  (Read 29668 times)
peach_

« on: August 28, 2009, 19:39:27 pm »

Come on share them  Grin, Was it a wet roundabout? or Straight line twitcher? or was it esacaping the "Law"  Cheesy

What ever your story lets hear it  Wink

Cheers

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

SAS RENN-WAGENS and proud

#CALLOOKDRAGS
Peter

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 20:01:35 pm »

For me locking the front wheels in the rain, in a corner and heading towards a light pole.
great fun those 125 firestones Smiley
Jim Ratto

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 20:13:37 pm »

I have a few.... one just occured the other day on my way to Sargey's....  Shocked
Rasser

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 20:19:52 pm »

Almost getting locked up between a big truck and the rails on the freeway Angry

For a good time, call:    1-800-Cal-look
1955 type1
1966 type2 13w deluxe
Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 20:34:04 pm »

Almost getting locked up between a big truck and the rails on the freeway Angry

Try that but in a MANX  Shocked Smiley Not fun I can tell you  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
Black Sheep

less is more

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 21:55:03 pm »

Pushing the loud pedel a bit to hard on the narrow twisty lanes of north dorset  Shocked still geting used to my car  Cool

Stick with what you know works .
13.03 @ 98mph
alfie the monster

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 01:28:52 am »

Racing Having some fun against another Beetle in Germany at Das Drag Day 2 on the roads near Bitburg and having to take up all of the road round a corner. Not cool...  Shocked

JG54 Grunherz
58vw

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 01:53:14 am »

getting off at Katella ave off the 55 freeway and the pin in the pedal assembly came out leaving me with NO BRAKES....downshift like mad foot out the door....luckily he light turned green and no cars in front of me hard right turn and pulled over 200 feet later.....fixed the pin and cleaned my shorts Grin

www.4inbore.com
Angleflows...order them now
jhicken
DKK

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:48:42 am »

Tooling down the 91 in my old '67 near Euclid in Fullerton, I change lanes only to find the Buick in front of me at a full stop. I lay on the skids, I feel the 135's start hopping, I'm making the meanest Japanese face I could, screaming like a little girl and just as I come to a stop I feel an abrupt thump. I step out and walk around front expecting the worse. Amazingly, the only damage is a thumb sized dent just above my hood handle >on the chrome strip!< Yes, there was no damage to the hood, no crack in the paint, only this little ding on that skinny chrome strip. I must have been barely moving, the rear bumper of the Buick barely touched the two stock over riders of my bumper, pushing my front end down a bit, and just slowed everything down enough that that big assed rear Buick bumper just barely kissed that little chrome strip. I looked at the Buick pilot, he looked at me, we shrugged shoulders, got back into our cars and got back into traffic.

I couldn't help thinkin that if I had if I had an extra muffin that morning, or if I decided to wear my Doc Martins instead of my sandals, that minor difference in weight may have pushed me just an inch or so farther, I'd be lookin at a few hundred dollars worth of damage.

Whew!

-jeffrey

peach_

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 10:54:34 am »

Tooling down the 91 in my old '67 near Euclid in Fullerton, I change lanes only to find the Buick in front of me at a full stop. I lay on the skids, I feel the 135's start hopping, I'm making the meanest Japanese face I could, screaming like a little girl and just as I come to a stop I feel an abrupt thump. I step out and walk around front expecting the worse. Amazingly, the only damage is a thumb sized dent just above my hood handle >on the chrome strip!< Yes, there was no damage to the hood, no crack in the paint, only this little ding on that skinny chrome strip. I must have been barely moving, the rear bumper of the Buick barely touched the two stock over riders of my bumper, pushing my front end down a bit, and just slowed everything down enough that that big assed rear Buick bumper just barely kissed that little chrome strip. I looked at the Buick pilot, he looked at me, we shrugged shoulders, got back into our cars and got back into traffic.

I couldn't help thinkin that if I had if I had an extra muffin that morning, or if I decided to wear my Doc Martins instead of my sandals, that minor difference in weight may have pushed me just an inch or so farther, I'd be lookin at a few hundred dollars worth of damage.

Whew!

-jeffrey

Shocked Shocked Shocked!

Your one lucky guy!

1966 java green looker- 2276 Street Machine, with standard gear box@ 14.5 (2013), With Pro Street Box @ 13.5 (2014), still more to come!

#CALLOOKDRAGS
peach_

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 10:55:15 am »

I have a few.... one just occured the other day on my way to Sargey's....  Shocked

More details....................spil  Smiley

#CALLOOKDRAGS
m.m.p

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:22:07 pm »

excelerating to 140mph in a turbo swing axel bug, and then using all 4 lanes of the m1 to slow down Shocked, got home and converted it to irs Cool all good now!

Thanks
Marco Mansi
Marcomansiperformance.com
0044(0)7947 660 924
nlvtinman

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 16:00:53 pm »

Back about 1975, with a nice little Berg 1776 in my Zwitter, I found out the the brakes designed for a 25hp motor don't do so well when full throttle and a traffic light are combined.  I learned about brake fade.
Scott Bakken and I were flying up Grand Ave in Glendora...and then flew right past that red light, my foot clearly reaching through the floorboard trying to slow'er down to a stop.

Oh thank you for not hitting anyone in the intersection!
Shubee2 (DSK)

"There's No School Like OLD SCHOOL"

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 16:27:58 pm »

NOT Driving But Towing My 67 VERT me and Friend Larry Rick were towing  my 67 Vert on a VW tow Bar with his Lowered 65 El Camino it had a 327 with a 4 speed anyway we are towing it to his shop  and he is  going threw the gears hauling ass Driving like a Maniaic we get to the shop and I go to release the tow bar from the ball and the ball come's out of the hitch and still attached to the tow bar it seems some where along the 18 mile tow we lost the nut that held the ball on I was so thank full it did not come off the Best Thing about a real low Cal look is the weight of the car was pushing down on the ball the car would have been Totaled if had came loose since we never used safety chains back then..
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 17:55:33 pm by Shubee2 (DSK) » Logged

Der Selten Kafers VW Club.
Founding Member Est: 1976

58 Ragtop Old School Cal Look
66 Cal Look Drag Car
67 Resto Cal Look
67 Chevy II Nova L79
02 Camaro Vert!
04 Corvette Vert!
04 Colorado Pickup
Jim Ratto

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 04:33:27 am »

wheel-barrow in my lane on 118 freeway, 70mph, @ 3:45am on the way to Classic this year.
61SNRF

Der Selten Kafers Charter Member

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 05:22:54 am »

Late one night WAY BACK on the way home from a rally in OC my gas pedal and speedo were both pegged for 3 miles coming up the 405N transitioning to 605N TRYING to keep up with Shubee in his '69 1700/Webers with my '61 1641/Kadrons! I know he was laughing and grinning all the way!
Jason Foster

7.69 87mph 12.35 106 mph

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 06:33:46 am »

One night after SMOKING a Subaru WRX I noticed a couple of Downey's finest behind me at a left hand signal in Felony stop fashion. My heart quickly sank, I was sure my car was gone. You see, here in California the officer has the option to confiscate any vehicle participating in a (cough)" street race" (cough).  Well luckily for me the officer decided to let me keep my car as I pleeded with him that I had my heart and soul in the thing. So long story short I got a misdemeanor that has since been expunged and a nice $1400.00 ticket.  So.... boys, don't street race. You Dig.

Jason

STRENGTH THROUGH JOY...........

Der Kleiner Panzers
Lids

show me the chedder

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 07:00:19 am »

Had just got my 1914 running, car wasn't finished, no interior but took it up the road with the front seats just placed inside.  Floored it my brother shot into the boot area and i fell off my seat unable to see where i was going.  Just hit the brakes and hoped for the best.

If there's enough horse shit around, there must be a pony!
Buy your ciderberry here.

http://www.thatcherscider.co.uk/
Sam K

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 22:28:42 pm »

The saciest moment I had in my Bug was the day before Thanksgiving 1998 I was driving to work in my '67. It still had the stock drum brakes and they probably needed to be adjusted. I had just installed my first stroker engine the previous Sunday.I was hauling ass down and freeway and traffic came to a sudden stop. Just as traffic was stopping, a young lady in a Honda changed lanes in front of me. Had she not been there I would have had no problem stopping,  but I ran right into the back of that Honda. The only damage it had was a pair of scratches in the bumper from my front overriders going under it. My bug needed new fenders, hood, headlights front apron and a bit of work on the spare wheel well. It also needed a windshield because I hit it with my head. The girl in the Honda got a ticket for careless driving and I got one for following to close.
nlvtinman

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 02:07:03 am »

Well, another of those "moments", although not scary, but they could have been.
This might strike a note with the old guys who were around in the early Bug-in era.

We members of the DSK would always have our twice yearly party the night before the Bug-in. Of course, there was a lot of fun and HEAVY drinking going on.
Any other other guys in clubs remember those good times too?

When the drink ran short, the time had come. 
Now we had an inordanant number of Weber carbed built motors for a club from the San Gabriel Valley.  Didn't much matter that it was usually about 12:30-1 am, we'd all get out, fire 'em up, and quite blasted beyond reason, haul ass down the 57 & 5 to OCIR.
I think the best time we "posted"for the trip was about 22 minutes Glendora to OCIR.

And the activity in the dirt at OCIR the night before Bug-Ins! It was the happening place to be in the middle of the night. Trying to sleep in your car( or the dirt), and usually feeling pretty shitty hungover during the days events.

It was GREAT-- Then!   But as to drunk driving...ahhhh, a fun part of the past, but not really the wisest thing to do anymore.
Speed-Randy

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 02:27:37 am »

august 1983, i had just spent the day installing my adjustable front beam in my first vw, a 65 sunroof, with my uncle who lived in yuciapa. finished it up around 8 pm, my dads brand new dodge ram d-50 had just had a ladder rack installed and was at my grandfathers house not to far from my uncles so i figured i would just tow the vw home and kill 2 birds with one stone. my grandfather warned me not to go to fast because the weight could cause problems stopping safely, so i hopped in the truck and started westbound on the 10 freeway at 55mph. all was going great until i got to sierra ave in fontana, a german sheppard appears out of nowhere and decides my lane is the best place to look around, i SLAM on the brakes. SHIT HITS THE FAN, instant jack-knife, the truck is doing 360's, my bug is doing cartwheels, shit is flying everywhere. suddenly all is quiet and i open my eyes, no pain so i must be alright, glass is in my lap from the broken door window, broken windshield, i look in the mirror and realize i t-boned on of the eucalyptus trees on the side of the road and wasted my dads new truck, hes gonna be pissed to say the least!!!! now i start to look for my car, not to far away, only about 10 feet, to my right, on its roof, leaning against another tree, completly totaled, wasnt a straight panel on it, 2 cars in less than 5 seconds gone. the good news, the dog was unscathed, i guess thats good news Undecided

Jim Ratto

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 20:41:57 pm »

there was the time I got off work and walked out to my Bug and found a huge, hulking German Shepherd panting inside of it. I had left the windows down behind my work and the vet next door thought the dog looked cute in my car.

WTF?
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 20:53:11 pm »

Not so much driving, but having the cops pull their guns on me and a friend after they pulled us over. Guess we should not have jumped out of the car so quickly.  Grin

--louis

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
deano

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 20:59:35 pm »

I very good friend of mine's daughter just turned 16 and he purchased here a late model New Beetle convertible.... After two months of ownership, she got a ticket.... a biggie. Going 110mph on the Riverside Freeway, by herself... The New Beetle has since been sold.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
louisb

Runs with Scissors

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 21:06:08 pm »

I very good friend of mine's daughter just turned 16 and he purchased here a late model New Beetle convertible.... After two months of ownership, she got a ticket.... a biggie. Going 110mph on the Riverside Freeway, by herself... The New Beetle has since been sold.

Tell him to replace it with a 25hp split or oval. Wont have that problem any more.  Cheesy

--louis

PS: I thought about recommending a bus, but that could present other "issues".  Wink

Louis Brooks

The Beatings Will Continue Until Moral Improves!
deano

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2009, 00:10:37 am »

Here's another one... Remember Jeff Kawaguchi's candy red Looker on the cover of the second California Look issue? Ever wonder where that car went to? Well, about 1977, Jeff was making a high-speed pass on a long stretch of Highway 39/Beach Blvd., near Rosecrans and "Motorcycle Hill" (La Mirada) when he lost control at over 100mph. As you may know, there is a ditch between the west and east bound lanes, and Jeff ended up heading into that ditch. The car never got  totally sideways (or did he?), but did get so crossed up and out of shape that the passenger side door handle got ground flat.... But the car never ended up on its side or roof. Somehow, he saved it from going all the way over, but in the process, ripped off those beautifully molded fenders and destroying that perfect body work. The car was never seen in that condition.... until he made a Baja Bug out of it. Rumor has it, he still owns the car, still under the car cover, never to show anyone it again.

Hot VWs Magazine Window Washer
Anglia Obsolete Guru
'67 Heaven
Chuck Fryer

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2009, 00:30:00 am »

I would say mine is going through the traps at 103mph ( still have the time slip) upside down, sliding on the ragtop.
Jim Ratto

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2009, 00:33:47 am »

I would say mine is going through the traps at 103mph ( still have the time slip) upside down, sliding on the ragtop.

Shocked

glad you lived to remember it!
Speed-Randy

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 01:50:21 am »

who was it from DKP in the mid-late 90's that did that at sacramento bugorama? green ragtop, brm's, i remember looking at something in yhe swap section and looking up just in time to see that car flipping and then slamming into to guardrail before coming to a stop on is side if i remember correctly. gnarly crash to witness

John Rayburn

Der Kleiner Panzers

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 02:24:35 am »

That was Art in his 67.

I also park at Nick's.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: