The Cal-look Lounge
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 02:22:11 am

Login with username, password and session length
Thank you for your support!
Search:     Advanced search
350884 Posts in 28608 Topics by 6828 Members
Latest Member: GSW Racing
* Home This Year's European Top 20 lists All Time European Top 20 lists Search Login Register
+  The Cal-look Lounge
|-+  Cal-look/High Performance
| |-+  Cal-look
| | |-+  Hi I am new to this forum
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Hi I am new to this forum  (Read 8681 times)
SixTeeSeven

« on: January 25, 2007, 01:11:18 am »

And I just wanted to say hello! I live in the UK and I have been interested in Cal Look ever since I read VolksWorld February 2001 and have been buying all the parts to build my first car. I'm really looking to build a Der Kleiner Panzer 3 style car but I'm only 20 and money is a bit tight. Still I have already been planning things since I was 15 and I have already got a lot of the parts because I have been spending my savings and the money I earn on parts instead of going out drinking and clubbing with my firends. They all think I am mad, but I don't really care. I have spent the last five years studying Cal Look and what is good and what isn't and I think that one day I will be able to make my car. I have a Beetle but it is rubbish it is a 1971 1200 which is really rusty. None of the girls I know want to go in it and I wish they did. I don't really care that much because I have already got four real BRM wheels that my mum and dad brought mefrom ebay and two weber 48 carboretters and a puma front beam and a pair of nerf bars from Bernard Newbury. I have met an old man who lives near me who is 73 and he has a `1967 beetle which he is going to dsell to me next year and he has had it since it was brand new. so I am just wiating to get it and I am saving up all the money I can until then.   
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 01:29:00 am »

Welcome to the forum!

Grab yourself a copy of Ultra VW and come along for the ride! Grin

Der Kleiner Panzers VW Club    
12.56sec street-driven Cal Looker in 1995
9.87sec No Mercy race car in 1994
Seems like a lifetime ago...
Mauro Cattan

Manovra So Cal

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 01:34:39 am »

Welcome Wink

Bella
Mauro

SixTeeSeven

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:42:35 am »

Welcome to the forum!

Grab yourself a copy of Ultra VW and come along for the ride! Grin

Thank you I buy that magazine as well  but I have a question which I would like to ask and as it says at the bottom of your post utra vw magazine you must work for the magazine so perhaps you can awnser my question. What I want to know is why their are articles on new Beetles and new vans? Also some of the magazine I have got have articles about porsches and I thought it was about Cal Look and older vws, I am really interested in them but Im not interested in new cars.

Lee.C

I might be an Idiot but I'm not an Arsehole!

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 02:15:41 am »

And I just wanted to say hello! I live in the UK and I have been interested in Cal Look ever since I read VolksWorld February 2001 and have been buying all the parts to build my first car. I'm really looking to build a Der Kleiner Panzer 3 style car but I'm only 20 and money is a bit tight. Still I have already been planning things since I was 15 and I have already got a lot of the parts because I have been spending my savings and the money I earn on parts instead of going out drinking and clubbing with my firends. They all think I am mad, but I don't really care. I have spent the last five years studying Cal Look and what is good and what isn't and I think that one day I will be able to make my car. I have a Beetle but it is rubbish it is a 1971 1200 which is really rusty. None of the girls I know want to go in it and I wish they did. I don't really care that much because I have already got four real BRM wheels that my mum and dad brought mefrom ebay and two weber 48 carboretters and a puma front beam and a pair of nerf bars from Bernard Newbury. I have met an old man who lives near me who is 73 and he has a `1967 beetle which he is going to dsell to me next year and he has had it since it was brand new. so I am just wiating to get it and I am saving up all the money I can until then.   

Your gonna fit right in here dude - we're all nuts round here  Tongue sounds like your on our level  Smiley But don't "Rubbish" the 1971 1200! Grab your self a copy of the March Volksworld and Checkout what I did with My first bug which was a 1972 1200  Wink Grin

I look forward to hearing more about the 67 - A ONE OWNER 67 sounds like a dream come true - got any pic's  Huh

catch ya soon dude

Lee Cooksey  Smiley

You either "Get It" or you don't......
SixTeeSeven

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 02:20:13 am »

thats really mad coz I just posted about your beach buggy and then you told me to look at the new volksworld. I really love your buggy especially all that stuff about the colour. I couldn't beileve you chose it from the name and you had never seen it. quality. How did you get to have it done in a photo studio?
Lee.C

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 02:41:50 am »

Cheers dude, and your right its pretty funny but its totally true - its all Volksworlds fault  Wink

you can ask Ivan about the Studio shoot he hangs around on here sometimes - He approached me after it was at Volksworld Show 2005 can asked if I was up for having my car featured  Shocked I shocked to say the least  Shocked it took a while to get it all arranged and I still had some work to do on the buggy but then Ivan rang me at work one day and said "Let me know what dates your free and I'll book the studio" and the rest is history dude  Smiley Shes getting a minor revamp over the winter with LOADS more Race Trim Engine parts and some other really cool finishing touches to give it an even more 70's feel  Smiley

Anyway i'm off to bed so'll catch you later dude Smiley

SixTeeSeven

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 02:45:17 am »

That sounds really cool. so you weren't expecting to have it done in astudio at all then? I bet you were stoked. It looks well cool in the magazine I think it\s mad that they do buggys in the studio they've made a great job of the artiulce
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 09:38:46 am »

Thank you I buy that magazine as well  but I have a question which I would like to ask and as it says at the bottom of your post utra vw magazine you must work for the magazine so perhaps you can awnser my question. What I want to know is why their are articles on new Beetles and new vans? Also some of the magazine I have got have articles about porsches and I thought it was about Cal Look and older vws, I am really interested in them but Im not interested in new cars.
Hi there. Yes I do write for Ultra VW (in fact, I helped launch it – I also launched VolksWorld back in 1987...). The reason, if any is needed, why there are the occasional New Beetle and late-model van features is that, if you go to a VW show, these are cars that are owned by VW enthusiasts, too. Many are owned by people who drive older VWs but also appreciate the comfort and performance offered by a Newbie or a T4. Porsches? Most VW owners enjoy older Porsches and many (like me) own own both. There is a big cross-over between the two marques, with a shared heritage, too. As for Cal Look content, I don't think you need worry about that. Check back through your past issues to see just how comprehensive our archive coverage of the genre has been, for example. But no magazine could ever survive by writing about just one style – or forever looking back to the past. Publishing, like the scene itself, is in a constant state of evolution. Stay with us, and the Lounge, and get ready for a fun, fast, nose-down ride. Cool

Keith Seume
Managing Editor
Ultra VW

benssp

www.callookvw.com

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 11:49:36 am »

Welcome, whereabouts in the uk are based Grin

got any pics of the '67?

www.vwheritage.com  My Job
www.bernardnewbury.co.uk My Team
any work related enquiries to ben@vwheritage.com PM's about work will not be answered Cheesy

Bitburg Motor Boat Club Founder Member

YMCA
alex d

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 12:13:17 pm »

welcome to the forum, BTW I need some of those BRM-giving parents  Grin
lowfastbus

WUNDERWAFFE

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 12:28:56 pm »

Hi there,

Nice to here that the're still people around who think the way I have done in the past... I too wanted a cal-look beetle since I was 15 years old, and after collecting parts for a few years I bought a 67 wich I still own.  It's now 11 years ago that I started getting interested in them and it's still getting more and more interesting... Partly due to great forum like this and to the fact that there are so many great show coming the next few months!

http://dragvws.skynetblogs.be
WUNDERWAFFE
The Knuckle Buster
simon uk

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 13:04:21 pm »

hi there, BRM buying parents are the way to go. I often though it would be cool doing an early 70s 1200, It even kind of looks like a us spec 67.

Good luck, Si.
jick

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 20:30:04 pm »

welcome to the forum dude, i think you'll enjoy it here!

jick.

by the way, do you think your parents would be willing to adopt me?

too old for this

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 23:23:53 pm »

welcome to the forum dude, i think you'll enjoy it here!

jick.

by the way, do you think your parents would be willing to adopt me?
probably not,because you have girls hair(not jealous or bald or anything Grin)

JG54
Lee.C

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 00:03:13 am »

That sounds really cool. so you weren't expecting to have it done in astudio at all then? I bet you were stoked. It looks well cool in the magazine I think it\s mad that they do buggys in the studio they've made a great job of the artiulce

your right dude like it says in the feature - its ridculas i never thought it would be a feature car let alone shot in a studio and to top it all off they went a stuck it on the cover TWICE  Wink  Shocked

And you guys are right 70's 1200 base models are PERFECT for a cool Looker project, I saw one the other day that was exactly the same as my 72 1200 before I chopped it up  Cry and it made me notice just how cool they are  Smiley if you squint alittle they almost look like a 67  Wink and they have some really cool parts like the Factory "trimless" window rubbers minimal body trim and the cool small head liner with very minimal interior ie nice and light  Smiley

All you have to do is swap the drums for the 67-68 wide 5 items like I have done and you have a very cheap 67 wannabe - just my 2 cents  Smiley

Jordy/DVK

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 01:26:55 am »

None of the girls I know want to go in it and I wish they did.

Oh.. The girls I know loved my car. They even asked me to take them to a gala in their gala dresses.
 And exactly at that cold and rainy evening a low battery made my bug to refuse to start.  Angry

So I ended up putting one girl -on high heels in a gala dress- behind the wheel and told the other one -also in gala dress and on high heels- to help me push the bug...  Grin  Grin  Grin

When I have a girl in my car almost every time I ask her if she wants to drive.
 When she wants to, prepare for a great laugh...  Grin
 Nothing better than to watch a girl struggling with the upright and way too heavy clutch/brake pedals.
 Don't forget to comfort her and tell her she's doing great and that it's not easy driving a bug when you're used to a modern car..
 It's such an easy (and fun) way to score some points... Grin

Proud member of:
DVK ~ Der Vollgas Kreuzers
  "The Full-Throttle Cruisers"

1951 medium brown splitwindow beetle (resto in progress)
1968 Cal-look(-a-like) (my daily driver)
Ivan

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 19:25:07 pm »

Great to hear you're so into it! And don't worry about being 'only 20', must of us old farts were into VWs when we were 20 too, once, and had similar goals. I was about 23 when I got my first BRMs - and I was I'd got them as a present.
Also don't worry about the car you have now, it's a VW and you're into the scene. You have a plan, and that is very cool.
Good luck and keep at it - oh, and keep on reading VolksWorld Wink we've got a lot of very cool cars which you'll like shot and ready to go into the magazine.

SixTeeSeven

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 00:22:35 am »

What can I say I am really happy that I am made so welcome and I have had postings from keith sueme and ivan mccuctheon becuase they are like the most famous people in vws in England! I printed it off and showed some of my mates who are not volkswagen fans like me. They could see why I was happy but I don't think they really understood.
When I first wrote about the wheels I got I don't think I explained what happened really. I didn't have enough money so my mum and my dad bought the wheels and I had to pay them back and it took about a more than a whole year and a half. but it was the only way I could have them and I am really happy to have these wheels. My dad knows I really wanted them and so that is why he and mum did it for me.
I just wanted to say thank you very much for all the nice words you have all siad I am really happy I found this forum.
Fastbrit

Keep smiling...

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 01:18:41 am »

What can I say I am really happy that I am made so welcome and I have had postings from keith sueme and ivan mccuctheon becuase they are like the most famous people in vws in England! I printed it off and showed some of my mates who are not volkswagen fans like me. They could see why I was happy but I don't think they really understood.
When I first wrote about the wheels I got I don't think I explained what happened really. I didn't have enough money so my mum and my dad bought the wheels and I had to pay them back and it took about a more than a whole year and a half. but it was the only way I could have them and I am really happy to have these wheels. My dad knows I really wanted them and so that is why he and mum did it for me.
I just wanted to say thank you very much for all the nice words you have all siad I am really happy I found this forum.
Hello Ivan...

Russell

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:24 am »

Hi Sixteeseven

Welcome its a cool place, dont tell anyone where you live as they will hunt the 67 down im sure.......

Im sure i know you but cant think where from, were you at the volksworld show last year and we spoke beside my car the Race Shop Ghia ?

Russell

Best Regards

Russell
Cornpanzer

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2007, 19:00:44 pm »

What can I say I am really happy that I am made so welcome and I have had postings from keith sueme and ivan mccuctheon becuase they are like the most famous people in vws in England!

Me thinks the quote shoule be "infamous"! Grin

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Cornpanzer

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 19:01:53 pm »

Hey Sixteeseven.  Welcome to the scene.  Best wishes for your project!
If you need help sourcing anything from the states, let me know.
Dave

'67 Turbo Sedan
Ultra VW Contributor
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: